cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Intel overclocking where to begin? NOT a total noob in general

N8LBV
Level 7
I am an experienced system builder (very experienced) for many years however not an experienced overclocker on anything recent.
I technically understand the concepts but have no practical hands-on experience.
My attempts to use any of the "easy overclocking" or "AI" overclocking almost ALWAYS fail
with a long wait on startup and the system telling be the overclock failed or I immediately get bluescreen crashes in windows.

I always purchase good ASUS gaming boards, Intel "K" CPUS most often Corsair DDR4 memory a good solid overrated power supply
and a high quality air cooler in most cases (Noshua).
I won't even mess with water coolers (I have a few) until I can manage the basics of overclocking on a big large air cooler a bit first.

Right now I am simply trying to turn on XMP on a Z590-P with 32GB of Corsair 3200MHz (2x16) DDR4 and instant fail!
I've had simply turning on XMP on other boards work but it is hit or miss and mostly miss.
Latest updated bios in all cases. (many different ASUS boards since around 2016)

I feel like an idiot! I really know this stuff and computers but need to get a start on overclocking and having a little more fun with these nice boards and CPUs.
I don't get the automatic overclocking hardly ever working, I really don't get it.
I understand you might have to raise voltages and all on certain things but I don't understand where and what is the point of the auto/AI stuff if it usually fails?
I'd expect "auto" to "try" things and ramp it up until it fails and then back off to where it works *automatically* and it clearly does not and has not.
My hope was to use the auto/easy stuff to start to get a feel for what it is actually adjusting/changing so I could later maybe start being able to do it manually from what I learn around that but is has been generally just frustrating not being able to get a solid start.

And ALL of my systems are always rock solid perfect on factory/stock settings.

Thanks!!

Steve
4 REPLIES 4

BigJohnny
Level 13
Automatic overclocking is garbage steer clear of that mess. Start with your CPU first. Set memory to default.
Slowly raise your multiplier until its not stable then add voltage. lather rinse repeat. To have it working where it set the speed and voltage needs to have intel speed step and turbo boost enabled but get it to where you want it first and worry about that later. You will probably need to increase your VCCIN and VCCSO to get max results. Set power limts to max which is 4095 for long and short. leave the rest of that page alone. Start with LLC of 4 and 140% on the CPU and everything else that you can set on that page. You dont need to set anything to extreme, optimized is fine. Disable the ASUS smart boost on the first page, right under the ram XMP setting maybe one or two down. Dont mess with the water cooled AI crap. leave that at default. AI has never worked correctly for me either. I gave up on that long ago.

What chip are you using? The VID table of the chip will dictate whether or not you can use adaptive voltage or have to use a static Vcore. Adaptive has to be higher than the chips VID table.

If you are not comfortable with going under water you will never reach the full potential. The chips like to be cool to get the best OC. Not saying you wont see some improvement but dont excpect what you see some other users post up that are liquid cooled. Dont bother with an AIO. It wont get you any farther than air, just maybe a little quieter but the thermals wont be any better. So if you decide to go to liquid skip the waste of money on an AIO. You can get decent that will certainly cost you more but worth every penny and as a first timer Id suggest flexible tubing over hard line. Its more forgiving. Only reason Im any good at Hardline is way back when I was a master electrician and good at bending conduit. Its all geometry.

My 18 core machine with two 2080Tis overclocked to 5.1GHz all 18 cores. The Vcore is static because the VID table is too high on the 10980XE but the clocks cycle up and down with load.

RedSector73
Level 12
N8LBV wrote:
Right now I am simply trying to turn on XMP on a Z590-P with 32GB of Corsair 3200MHz (2x16) DDR4 and instant fail!
I've had simply turning on XMP on other boards work but it is hit or miss and mostly miss.
Latest updated bios in all cases. (many different ASUS boards since around 2016)

I feel like an idiot! I really know this stuff and computers but need to get a start on overclocking and having a little more fun with these nice boards and CPUs.
I don't get the automatic overclocking hardly ever working, I really don't get it.

Steve, check you have placed the the RAM correctly (from the CPU), Ram Slots 2 & 4 (A2 & B2) and as without this it causes XMP to fail.

I left Intel after my bloomfield space heater and went AMD Ryzen. So what I know about Intel overclocking is dated. Mainly the systems I have built Intel after that time are all stock, so I cant help you with Intel overclocking but I don't consider XMP, true overclocking anyway.

About Noctua, they are a go to brand for me still, but I rather have an AIO's or custom loop cooling like big johnny is displaying ( NICE system btw - what case is it ? ), than the ever growing larger heavier noctua heatsinks on my cpu / gpu.

N8LBV
Level 7
Thanks!!

Great starting point.
I was mainly worried I was doing something wrong and didn't understand why the AI auto stuff did not at least work a little.
And yes I of course didn't have the RAM plugged in right.
Even the manual says to use A2/B2 SMH. 🙂
I will give it a shot and watch some videos around similar hardware.
Thanks again!

N8LBV wrote:
And yes I of course didn't have the RAM plugged in right.
Even the manual says to use A2/B2 SMH. 🙂

Thanks again!

No problem, it's human to err. Actually, I like MSI Bios for the reason it will actually tell you when you put them in wrong when you enter BIOS and go to enable DOCP. ASUS need to improve on this ~imo, cant be that hard to be user friendly if others can do it.