cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus DCII Top 680GTX SLI - crashes,problems and what nots...

Nerdrage
Level 7
Hi,

Been having some very frustrating problems the last month or so...

Heres my rig:
HAF-X Case + Catleap 2560x1440 dual screen
3930K @ 4.2Ghz with H100i block
Rampage IV Extreme Mobo
16GB Kingston Hyper-X @ 2133Mhz
520 250GB / 256 M5 Pro SSD's
2TB WD Black (storage n crap)
2 x 680GTX Asus DCII TOP Edition
Corsair 850HX
LED Fan Controller

Problem has been my GPU side of things, started with BF3 - random crashes, screen goes black then comes back on after 4/5 secs and I'm welcomed with a "DRIVER 1**.** HAS STOPPED RESPONDING AND HAS SUCCESSFULLY RECOVERED" OR "BF3 HAS ENCOUNTERED A DIRECTX ERROR" OR same thing happens but I have to tap the trusty CTRL - ALT - DEL and end process.
Then it started with WOW (please don't judge me, I love PvP) its an old game with a combination of dated programming and pc demand but still no excuse for hanging this SLI setup.
playing both games on ULTRA max settings with superb FPS and smooth as silk game play.

Now its been happening with Far Cry 3 and BL2.

What I've tried;
Clean driver install following the guide on this forum to the letter (including new and old drivers + beta)
Full re-install of OS
Intel Burn test with no errors - CPU max 80'C
Extreme settings on benchmark programs like Uniengine (the one with the trees and mountains)
monitoring temps closely with GPU Tweak and HW Monitor GPU max 70'C
Ram Memtest before latest OS re-install but not recently.

Programmes running during crashes;
GPU Tweak
HWMonitor
Razer Game Booster
Intel Rapid Storage thingy
Curse Client
Steam
UPlay - formerly Ubisoft Game Launcher
Google Chrome - for BF3 server selection etc

I know my way around a PC fairly well however I'm no where near as experienced as most of you guys on here, I'm not reckless with my Rig in anyway, nor would I try silly Overclocking of CPU/GPU etc. I've had PC's all my life and for me there is no other way to game/surf/edit etc etc...

Thanks for reading my post, any response or help would be fantastic as this issue is really starting to get me down a tad... its my pride n joy and I hate the frustration this issue can cause.

Thank again,
Nerd...
21 REPLIES 21

Zka17
Level 16
My first clue would be the power... it's not enough anymore...

Have you OC'd those GTX680s? If so, try to run them at stock...

If not, try to get an another PSU, possibly a little bit bigger one...

And welcome to the ROG Forum! 🙂

Nerdrage
Level 7
Hey Zka17,

Thanks... glad to finally be here, always been a ROG admirer and the free ROG stuff included with the RIVE is just awesome,

I had a sneaky suspicion the PSU was under powered, although you won't believe me when someone just yday told me a 650W PSU was more than enough for my rig!!

I'll have a look on SCAN for a good PSU at a reasonable price, was thinking another corsair?? make it easier for a lesser exp pc guy to make a straight swap over?? like a 1050HX or 1200HX??

ohh to answer your question, the DCII's come slightly over stocks, but I have tweaked them around but never monitored for crashes (Dooh)... those cards from stocks to slight preset OC give me an easy 10FPS on various benchmark programmes... gotta love Asus!!

Thanks a MILLION bud, really appreciate your help and the warm welcome,

I'll report back as soon as I find my PSU and install it...

Have a good weekend,

Nerd

Hi Arne,

I was just on the "checkout" stage... almost paying £250 for the AX1200i PSU!! maybe I'll have another go with this...

I actually just uninstalled the GPU Tweak software along with the GameBooster so I'll run that and see how it goes... Would I be right in saying BF3 / BL2 or FC3 for a few hours puts the GPU through more realistic stress tests than say Uni-Engine Benchmarks??

Dumb question, Precision X... is that not for EVGA users? I was thinking MSi Afterburner? please pardon the inexperience,

I'll be honest and say that paying 2 x £100 above the normal price of a 680GTX for the DCII Tops will really annoy me if it turns out that the factory OC is not holding? surely Asus test these expensive cards.

PSU was bought 18th October 2012, and well looked after,

Many thanks again guys, really appreciate the effort,
Nerd

**Also deleted Geforce Experience...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well 850 for me should run those but depends how old the PSU is...

Before you rush out and buy a PSU I wonder if you would consider running one card at a time and seeing if this occurs and/or uninstalling GPU tweak replacing it with Precision X and maybe even downclocking cards a bit....if this works the factory OC is not holding....

Baalberith_NL
Level 10
Quick question.

U have the extra power hooked up for the pci lanes? With that i mean the 6pin EZ-plug.
I encountered the same issue with a stable system, but starting BF3 at ultra after a vidcard swap to Titans, it crashed.
Attaching the EZ-plug fixed all my issues.
AMD 5900X
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
64GB G. Skill 3600Mhz C16
Cooler Master Master Liquid PL360 Flux
Be Quiet Dark Power 12 Pro 1500Watt
2 x Samsung 980Pro 1TB
1 x 10TB WD Black
1 x Asus Strix RTX 3080Ti OC
CoolerMaster C700M
Samsung G7 Odyssey 32inch

Zka17
Level 16
Doesn't really matter if you choose PrecisionX or MSI Afterburner, they both will do the job... - with the Asus GPU Tweak I had luck only on the Matrix Platinums so far...

sectionate
Level 12
Nerdrage wrote:
Hi,

Been having some very frustrating problems the last month or so...

Heres my rig:
HAF-X Case + Catleap 2560x1440 dual screen
3930K @ 4.2Ghz with H100i block
Rampage IV Extreme Mobo
16GB Kingston Hyper-X @ 2133Mhz
520 250GB / 256 M5 Pro SSD's
2TB WD Black (storage n crap)
2 x 680GTX Asus DCII TOP Edition
Corsair 850HX
LED Fan Controller

Problem has been my GPU side of things, started with BF3 - random crashes, screen goes black then comes back on after 4/5 secs and I'm welcomed with a "DRIVER 1**.** HAS STOPPED RESPONDING AND HAS SUCCESSFULLY RECOVERED" OR "BF3 HAS ENCOUNTERED A DIRECTX ERROR" OR same thing happens but I have to tap the trusty CTRL - ALT - DEL and end process.
Then it started with WOW (please don't judge me, I love PvP) its an old game with a combination of dated programming and pc demand but still no excuse for hanging this SLI setup.
playing both games on ULTRA max settings with superb FPS and smooth as silk game play.

Now its been happening with Far Cry 3 and BL2.

What I've tried;
Clean driver install following the guide on this forum to the letter (including new and old drivers + beta)
Full re-install of OS
Intel Burn test with no errors - CPU max 80'C
Extreme settings on benchmark programs like Uniengine (the one with the trees and mountains)
monitoring temps closely with GPU Tweak and HW Monitor GPU max 70'C
Ram Memtest before latest OS re-install but not recently.

Programmes running during crashes;
GPU Tweak
HWMonitor
Razer Game Booster
Intel Rapid Storage thingy
Curse Client
Steam
UPlay - formerly Ubisoft Game Launcher
Google Chrome - for BF3 server selection etc

I know my way around a PC fairly well however I'm no where near as experienced as most of you guys on here, I'm not reckless with my Rig in anyway, nor would I try silly Overclocking of CPU/GPU etc. I've had PC's all my life and for me there is no other way to game/surf/edit etc etc...

Thanks for reading my post, any response or help would be fantastic as this issue is really starting to get me down a tad... its my pride n joy and I hate the frustration this issue can cause.

Thank again,
Nerd...

Nvidia is having issues with drivers atm

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/546165/geforce-drivers/geforce-r320-xx-r326-xx-display-driv...

"Some users are reporting stability issues after upgrading their drivers to display driver branches R319_00 and above (i.e. R320.18, R320.49, R326.19, etc.). Fixes for some of these issues have been included with driver 320.49 and the latest 326.19 however we are still working to resolve all user issues. This thread is to capture better information that can help us resolve all of the issues affecting stability in desktop use and games that some users are reporting. For normal bug submissions, please continue to report these in our main feedback thread:"
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Big thanks guys...

I'm just trying to digest all this info... Firstly I'm sure I used the correct power leads, its the 6+2 and 6 connectors (with the extra 2 left out) on each card??? not sure if thats what u

Thanks for the Nvidia update regarding drivers, hopefully thats my problem and they address it fast!!!

I've done a clean un-install of all the back ground applications that I just do not need, and installed Precision-X.... that looks like a nice bit of kit!!

Will step down the factory DCII OC and see if that helps... have a spare sli bridge so will swap over during testing,

Temps - card 1 (top slot) hit 70 on uniengine extreme hd preset at 2560x1440 but never slowed up, other card hit 64'c

Do any of u use CC cleaner to clean up ur reg etc after an un-install?? just curious

Many thanks gents,

Nerd

Nerdrage wrote:
its the 6+2 and 6 connectors (with the extra 2 left out) on each card??? not sure if thats what u

Do any of u use CC cleaner to clean up ur reg etc after an un-install?? just curious

The connectors for the cards them selves that' s right but there is an extra 6 pin PCIe connector on the board that is for multiple cards (like 4 cards) but can help deliver smooth power and you might like to plug it in...

I do use Ccleaner to clear registry and have never had a problem but others seem to frown on this....

Your temps sound good....but often it is like that on a short run.....just make sure they stay low after an hour gaming session;)