cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus AI makes what it wants?!

zocker
Level 9
I have pushed my CPU (7820X) to 4,7GHZ @1,1800 Volts.
All runs fine and stable but in Asus AI Suite the Setting "Cpu Power thermal Control" is @134°C every Reboot.
Why?! And for what is these Option?! Is it neccessary für my OC Settings?!
Or have i something to set in Bios manually to set it to default (120°C)?!

Sorry for my English 🙂
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus
32GB Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX5M2B5600C36
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (System)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Gaming)
5 REPLIES 5

quark54
Level 8
CPU Power Thermal Control is I believe a setting that can be adjusted to prevent throttling of the VRM's.

Some VRM's are rated at quite a high temp, so 134C doesn't surprise me.

Asus recommend that this setting is left at default for all normal overclocks. If throttling of the VRM's does occur, a fan on the VRM's is helpful. Or back off overclock settings of course. .

zocker
Level 9
But the VRMs will never reach 100°C with my settings. And in the Bios the Value is on 120.
What you mean with default?! The "default" what AI Suite isgiving me (134°C)?!
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS

zocker wrote:
But the VRMs will never reach 100°C with my settings. And in the Bios the Value is on 120.
What you mean with default?! The "default" what AI Suite isgiving me (134°C)?!

No, they probably wont reach that temp and you wouldn't want them too! But you would be surprised how high VRM "max" temp can be in some systems. Your VRM's may not ever reach that temp, but Asus are setting it to the theoretical max to avoid throttling when overclocking heavily.

You should see this setting as a "safe guard", an emergency setting. If the VRM's are overheating it's their to prevent damage to the power delivery system. I assume it will either throttle the VRM's, and/or shut the system down if that temp threshold is breached.

As for the discrepancy between this setting in your BIOS and in Ai Suite, who knows, there can be any number of reasons. Updating Ai Suite and updating your BIOS might help.

quark54
Level 8
You havent said which board you have but...

CPU Power Thermal Control can be set to a higher value when experiencing CPU throttling problems due to overheating Extreme Engine DIGI+ III. We recommended leaving this setting at default for all normal O.C., to ensure that the safe operating margins of the onboard CPU voltage supply are not breached. If experiencing throttling, the best advice is to cool the onboard Extreme Engine DIGI+ III with a fan to reduce temperature rather than altering this setting.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/recommended-settings-for-overclocking-maximus-vi-...

zocker
Level 9
Thx for replies!
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS