cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apex XI overvolts on Manual mode

Klovnious
Level 8
Hi,

I recently bought a Apex Xi mb, 9900KF, and G.Skill 3200 memory.

So I've tried to do some overclocking, and so far I've set my eyes on 5GHz. I can set the multiplier to 50, and everything works fine, but when I start stress testing, the voltage jumps to 1.359v instead of the specified manual voltage at 1.290v. AVX offset is at 0.

I've disabled C-states, Intel Speedstep, Intel Speedshift and done the overall other settings that should apply for a stable OC.
I have added the settings from bios here aswell.
14 REPLIES 14

1mluer
Level 11
Klovnious wrote:
Hi,

I recently bought a Apex Xi mb, 9900KF, and G.Skill 3200 memory.

So I've tried to do some overclocking, and so far I've set my eyes on 5GHz. I can set the multiplier to 50, and everything works fine, but when I start stress testing, the voltage jumps to 1.359v instead of the specified manual voltage at 1.290v. AVX offset is at 0.

I've disabled C-states, Intel Speedstep, Intel Speedshift and done the overall other settings that should apply for a stable OC.
I have added the settings from bios here aswell.

Don't forget about windows power setting too. they will auto volt and clock down your CPU when it thinks it's idle or not being used very hard etc..

go into window settings > All settings > System and Power. Basically anything with power controls set to off etc..
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
Don't forget about windows power setting too. they will auto volt and clock down your CPU when it thinks it's idle or not being used very hard etc..

go into window settings > All settings > System and Power. Basically anything with power controls set to off etc..

Sure, I will try this. But it's not clocking down, it's steady at 5GHz, so not sure why it would over volt.

Klovnious wrote:
Sure, I will try this. But it's not clocking down, it's steady at 5GHz, so not sure why it would over volt.

Aye might be the case but I guess I was making the point that windows does have a hand in it's behavior if you don't change that stuff. Keep us posted..
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
Aye might be the case but I guess I was making the point that windows does have a hand in it's behavior if you don't change that stuff. Keep us posted..

It is still overvolting to 1.349v

Klovnious wrote:
It is still overvolting to 1.349v

I haven't cracked the seal on my new Maximus XI Apex yet so I really can't go much further. I read that Asus Multi-thread setting in bios provides a better level of power thresholds based on processing demand. If you say no to that setting it uses the Intel CPU profile and locks the board to a strict 95w TDP I read somewhere. Maybe it is accommodating the CPU load.. Speaking of Load.. What do you have the Load Line Calibration set to ? That can be pretty beefy too in it's respond to processor demand.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
I haven't cracked the seal on my new Maximus XI Apex yet so I really can't go much further. I read that Asus Multi-thread setting in bios provides a better level of power thresholds based on processing demand. If you say no to that setting it uses the Intel CPU profile and locks the board to a strict 95w TDP I read somewhere. Maybe it is accommodating the CPU load.. Speaking of Load.. What do you have the Load Line Calibration set to ? That can be pretty beefy too in it's respond to processor demand.

I have been using LLC 6. I tried lowering the LLC to 4 and 5, but I crash pretty quickly, but it's overvolting even on the lower LLC's (4 and 5).
I can't really see that it's not getting less voltage than I've specified in the manual mode, only more.

Klovnious
Level 8
It is still overvolting to 1.349

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
What stress tests are you referring to?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
What stress tests are you referring to?

Prime95 v26.6 (custom test, min FFT size 12-12 max FFT, run fft's in place) and Cinebench R20 from the Windows Store.