cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying issue (lagspikes, freezing and static noise, out of ideas help needed!

Birren08
Level 7
Hello Guys/girls! i think im in the right thread..

I bought my Asus G73jw almost 2 years ago. And it worked fine untill a few months ago.

Issue: While gaming i get these lagspikes and FPS dropes time to time and i get static noice sometimes when it happens. For example when i play BF3 i get FPS drops and it all freezes for a sec or less and then it gets back to normal. This happens not so often compared when i play diablo 3. Then i get these problems alot. especially if its much action going on.
im playing on wireless but have tried changing to cable but it makes no difference..

I have tried different kinds of solution but non worked. searching alot on the internet for solution and i cant really get it straight. But this is what ive done:

Updated latest video card, which is 296.1 (GeForce GTX 460M).
And i updated BIOS version.
I recently reinstalled windows to W7 ultimate.
Read about if it was my Realtek sound that messed things up or something so tried uninstall it but that didnt solve it.
NOTHING WORKED!..
And another problem that also is damn annoying is that when i watch a movie i also get lagspikes/freeze aswell..

Im out of ideas now and need a bit help.. Im starting to think if it some hardwere issue going on but it really dont hope so:/

Any ideas what it can be?

My computer: Asus G73JW
CPU: Intel core i5-460, 2.53GHz
HDD 4GB RAM

I did a DPC Latency check and the messege i got was :
"Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc." so i guess o have to start disable devices and try to see if i find it.. but really isnt there a easier/faster way?

I hope im not the only one with this problem.. any ideas what i can do to solve this?
6 REPLIES 6

Zka17
Level 16
Have you checked the HDD?

It's just an idea, but may cause your issue (freezing/slowing down for some time then goes normal): 4GB RAM may not be enough for those games you're playing (you may also have some other applications running in same time). Then your OS is using the virtual memory - uses space on HDD to write out the "overflowed" things. Now, if you're running that system for a while, having a lot of things on the storage and forced the use of virtual memory, it may happened that your HDD got very fragmented...

So, if I would be you, I would start assessing the HDD status...

Zka17 wrote:
Have you checked the HDD?

It's just an idea, but may cause your issue (freezing/slowing down for some time then goes normal): 4GB RAM may not be enough for those games you're playing (you may also have some other applications running in same time). Then your OS is using the virtual memory - uses space on HDD to write out the "overflowed" things. Now, if you're running that system for a while, having a lot of things on the storage and forced the use of virtual memory, it may happened that your HDD got very fragmented...

So, if I would be you, I would start assessing the HDD status...

THanks for Respond!

Sounds actually like it could be that kind of problem. Lets hope so. I will try to install Diablo 3 on a external HDD and see if that makes any different. And 4GB ram is good enough for diablo 3^^..

But do you have any better ideas how i can try fix it? (sry for bad grammer^^)

I think i solved it... well there are no more lag issues or freezing, almost. What i did was uninstall Diablo 3 from my comp then install it on my externall HDD. so im plying it from the external. this solved the lag problem. But i get these static noice sometimes, which makes screen freeze for a sec.

and when in window mode, my mouse tends to get stuck for a sec or two, whats up with that? :S

Anyway you were right, as i suspectet. it is the HDD problem. Could a solussion be to buy SSD card perhaps?

Zka17
Level 16
Glad to hear that you're making advances!

Yes, it really seems that your HDD was the cause. Using your game from an external HDD could be one solution. However, remember that the virtual memory/page file is still going to be written on the internal HDD (of course, if you didn't changed that already)... So, the continuous writing is still there to further defragment your disk.

What I would do, is that to defragment the internal HDD. Backup your system and data before doing that! If you never did that over those 2 years, actually you may get amazed from the changes...

About the memory... well, if you feel that 4GB is enough, it's OK with me! Is just what I said earlier, if the system is using virtual memory - it will slow it down. You still could play a little bit with the page file size though...

Using an SSD would make your system to start faster, loading the OS and applications will be faster. Not sure right now if your laptop HDD is SATA II or III... Anyway, the SSD will be faster than a HDD, just on SATA III connection you would feel the speed differences better.

And here comes an other thing: how did you connected the external drive with your game to the laptop? Also choose the faster connections for better performance!

Zka17 wrote:
Glad to hear that you're making advances!

Yes, it really seems that your HDD was the cause. Using your game from an external HDD could be one solution. However, remember that the virtual memory/page file is still going to be written on the internal HDD (of course, if you didn't changed that already)... So, the continuous writing is still there to further defragment your disk.

What I would do, is that to defragment the internal HDD. Backup your system and data before doing that! If you never did that over those 2 years, actually you may get amazed from the changes...

About the memory... well, if you feel that 4GB is enough, it's OK with me! Is just what I said earlier, if the system is using virtual memory - it will slow it down. You still could play a little bit with the page file size though...

Using an SSD would make your system to start faster, loading the OS and applications will be faster. Not sure right now if your laptop HDD is SATA II or III... Anyway, the SSD will be faster than a HDD, just on SATA III connection you would feel the speed differences better.

And here comes an other thing: how did you connected the external drive with your game to the laptop? Also choose the faster connections for better performance!

Im not so keen about that virtual thingy what you talking about, but i understand what you mean. And i have not made any
changes about "written virtual thing " dont excatly know what that means haha 😛 but anyways all i did was to connect the external via USB which is the only thing i can do i think?

How can i make the virtual memory "not make it to slow down my comp?" or something. and can you explain what u meant with "You still could play a little bit with the page file size though..." ? ^^

And no i did not just install w7 ultimate whitout defrag my HDD. It did that by itself. but i will do it again now.

Here are my comp speccs. Its in swedish thou sorry 😉
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WQFi5z7ZtUtL0sUeVfQNXup
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QbmFYEb7OHEtePLVE222Fza
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MFcI1PjEib72Uv5RCeq7Mcz

And thanks for helping me out dude! Really preciate it 🙂

Zka17
Level 16
I'm sorry for not being more precise with that "virtual memory" thing :)... The other day was posting in more detail (check post #6): http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15387-What-to-do-with-16gigs

If after reading it, still not clear (and of course, you're interested in), you could try a search on google... or let me know! By "playing with the page file size" I meant that there are settings for that, also in Windows - but you will see after some readings (or post back if you have problems with that)

Defragmentation has to be done regularly, actually you can set it up in Windows.

My point with connecting the the external drive from where you're loading your game through USB 2.0 may be slower than doing it through SATA II. Practically, if you have space on the internal drive, just run it from there (of course, after you did a maintenance on it: remove junk files and those you don't need, defragment, etc.)

Hi all:)

I've got the same problem as the OP with freezes 1-3sec in games like FC2, DCS World, & FSX, also my W7 is kind of slowish...
& the keybord presses are lagging. No BSOD's CTD's or whole computer freezes needing a restart.
The OP's description fits me exactly, 2 years old ASUS G73JW, freezes started 1 month ago, did a fresh system reinstall, have done all the trouble shooting as the OP to the point + more. Fresh drivers, HD/GPU/GPU/W7 checks, processes on/off, etc. But nothing helps...frezzes are still there. The only thing I haven't tried is an external SSD coz I don't own one.
After reading this & other threads I'm suspecting my HD, but how can I be sure?

I've been trying to solve this mess for a month now with Asus support & googling & it's driving me nuts.....

please help me?

Specs: Asus G73JW-TY190V - i5 460M 2.53 GHz/ 4GB / Hard Drive 500.0 GB Hybrid Drive ( 4.0 GB flash ) 7200.0 rpm Interface: Serial ATA-150, / 17" TFT / GF GTX 460M / DVD / BT / Win7 HP.