cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD 9590 Overclock

Laing1982
Level 9
Hi,

Has anyone overclocked a 9590 cpu? They run 4.7ghz and 5ghz turbo but i'm wanting to jump mine to 5ghz constant, or slightly higher. Just wondering if anyone has got good results and could share their settings?

My system is below, and my firestrike score is 11,600 (96% bracket)

Corsair Ax 1200i Platinum

AMD FX-9590 @ 4.7ghz
Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula Z
Asus ROG 7970 Matrix Platinum (x2 CF)

2X EK Coldstream XTX 480 Radiators
2x EK 7970 Matrix Waterblock
1x EK Supreme LTX AMD CPU Waterblock
1x EK ASUS C5F-Z Waterblock

Cheers
Paul
Corsair 900D / Corsair AX1200i / AMD FX-9590 @ 4.7ghz / ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z / ASUS ROG 7970 Matrix Platinum Crossfire / x2 EK Coldstream XTX 480 Radiators / x2 EK 7970 Matrix Waterblock / EK Supreme LTX CPU Waterblock / EK ASUS C5F-Z Waterblock / XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir/Pump Combo / Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz / Corsair Vengeance K70 / Corsair Vengeance M65 / 120gb SSD & 2tb HDD
9 REPLIES 9

Laing1982
Level 9
Nobody???
Corsair 900D / Corsair AX1200i / AMD FX-9590 @ 4.7ghz / ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z / ASUS ROG 7970 Matrix Platinum Crossfire / x2 EK Coldstream XTX 480 Radiators / x2 EK 7970 Matrix Waterblock / EK Supreme LTX CPU Waterblock / EK ASUS C5F-Z Waterblock / XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir/Pump Combo / Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz / Corsair Vengeance K70 / Corsair Vengeance M65 / 120gb SSD & 2tb HDD

klepp0906
Level 7
Go intel? My firestrike score is 20k 😛

But seriously, how is that even relevant? As for your initial question, tips are few and far between considering A) these chips ARE overclocked for all intents and purposes therefore headroom is little and B) level of cooling required.

I run one in my backup rig and can't get it stable at anything beyond 5.0 due to heat and it being a fairly poor sample. I wouldn't expect much more than that. The heat itself isn't the problem, it's removing it quick enough which is why they shine with exotic cooling. Unfortunately most of us don't keep our drum of LN2 next to the house.

The only "tip" I can offer is make sure you run LLC at the 2nd highest setting. The max is ridiculous, doesn't even belong on a consumer board (it's that bad) and the one below (3rd) isn't enough (while I'm here, what is amds deal with only allowing voltage adjustments in monster increments?!) but anyhow, back on track. Set LLC to ultra high and do like you do with every other chip. Walk the ratio up a step, test for stability, catch the voltage up. Rinse/repeat.

Extremely time consuming but more necessary than ever with these chips as keeping heat to a minimum is imperative. I know info is limited but do your research. Most people are taking around 1.54vish for 5.0 so you have a point of reference.

Good luck and have fun 😛

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
@Addonic: also, my sig

@Laing: Start with the OC guide for the FX-8350 CPU, and go from there. Your results with your CPU will probably be more limited by your heat dissipation, but it's a fairly comprehensive guide that's useful for chips other than the 8350.

You might get most of your progress on the FSB and memory OC.

Z

Edit: Laing, that CPU is all about heat dissipation - paramount.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you are going to OC the CPU to a constant 5GHz please do insure that you have all the EPS 12volt connectors fitted. That CPU loves voltage.

And as has been said good cooling is a must for that little heat beast.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
If you are going to OC the CPU to a constant 5GHz please do insure that you have all the EPS 12volt connectors fitted. That CPU loves voltage.

And as has been said good cooling is a must for that little heat beast.

Having read many posts regarding cooling of the FX-9590, In many instances, and from my own experience, it has come down to the thermal efficiency between CPU and waterblock and in many cases excessive compound has exacerbated the issue.

I have 5.2GHz 24/7 stable and can run mine at 5.5GHz. I don't have the cooling OP describes, Just a Corsair H105 and a small fan on the backplate.

I may be construed as being pedantic but, I carefully checked and polished the back of my CPU (lapped) to get rid of what I considered a poor grind.

I then applied a tiny bit of arctic silver, seated the CPU and then checked it. At first it wasn't enough, so I cleaned up and reapplied with just a little more. checked again and found that amount was just enough to spread across evenly, I used the pea method and taking care not to tighten too much.

I agree the FX-9590 is a beast, but it can be tamed.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:

I may be construed as being pedantic but, I carefully checked and polished the back of my CPU (lapped) to get rid of what I considered a poor grind.

I then applied a tiny bit of arctic silver, seated the CPU and then checked it. At first it wasn't enough, so I cleaned up and reapplied with just a little more. checked again and found that amount was just enough to spread across evenly, I used the pea method and taking care not to tighten too much.

I agree the FX-9590 is a beast, but it can be tamed.

That my friend is key. TM is not like peanut butter or jam, you want to only fill the microscopic pits and troughs between the IHS and the cooler block. Good advice right there if they will follow what you have said.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DekonX
Level 9
Im going to start my Peltier chiller project with a custom loop also going to need to upgrade to a 1-1.2k watt psu or setup a small case with a 600watt just to power my chiller and stuff Not sure how its going to work out at the moment. I do know this tho, the 9590 is a monster furnace of a chip. It needs some pretty crazy cooling. In an air conditioned room, at idle im sitting at board temp of 33c processor package temp of 9c. Thats at idle with no oc and cool n quite turned back on.
AMD 9590 (4.7ghz)
CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
12Gig DDR3 1333
XFX R9 280x
Corsair RM850
Nanoxia Deep Silence 6

randyenergy
Level 10
Laing1982 wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone overclocked a 9590 cpu? They run 4.7ghz and 5ghz turbo but i'm wanting to jump mine to 5ghz constant, or slightly higher. Just wondering if anyone has got good results and could share their settings?

My system is below, and my firestrike score is 11,600 (96% bracket)

Corsair Ax 1200i Platinum

AMD FX-9590 @ 4.7ghz
Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula Z
Asus ROG 7970 Matrix Platinum (x2 CF)

2X EK Coldstream XTX 480 Radiators
2x EK 7970 Matrix Waterblock
1x EK Supreme LTX AMD CPU Waterblock
1x EK ASUS C5F-Z Waterblock

Cheers
Paul

Go to RealBench Leadership board and compare similar rigs. If you click on the score of each rig you get to see more info.
http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/?Laptop=desktop&CPU=amd&gpu=all&Core=Crosshair&...