cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ai suite 3 overclocking instability

geox19
Level 7
I've always wondered why every time I tried to overclock with Ai suite on my x99 platform it would be horribly unstable. I mean I don't understand it's a simple overclock it always gives you more than enough cpu vcore to run at whatever it decides to put you at. So now that I have my system stable with my own settings I'm comparing them to Ai suites settings and the only real difference voltage wise is System Agent voltage. Ai Suite uses xmp 3000@3.5v but it sets the ram to run at 2400 @ 1.35v that right there is insane but at the same time it sets the system agent voltage to auto @ 1.216 at least on my board which is insane. If I do a manual overclock at 4.5 and use the 3000 memory guide on this forum I found that I need a setting of 1.03 which is actually 1.04 once I start stress testing. either way 1.216 is way to much with my ram and makes my system very unstable. Is it just my system that sets the system agent to 1.216 or is that the default voltage that asus uses when you select xmp profiles? So to sum it all up if I use the default auto voltage for system agent of 1.216 no matter what I do in the bios the system always ends up being unstable. Maybe I'm way off here but I'm going to have to let Ai suite do it's thing again and then just change the system agent voltage to what I need and see if that fixes all its craziness.
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15
ASUS sampled couple hundreds of CPU to develop the automatic overclocking algorithm. Sometimes below average CPUs will need more than what it assigns, sometimes above average CPUs will need less.

geox19
Level 7
I hear you and understand that. I just never really thought that having to much voltage but still being within a reasonable spec could have such a negative effect but at the same time inputting such little voltage could stabilize a system. I thought I'd be here for days running memtest when I was doing the memory 3000 guide with such little voltage inputs but nope. thanks for guide.

Chino
Level 15
The algorithm isn't perfect by any means. But it does a good job most of the time. A lot of first time overclockers find it helpful actually since it gives you a baseline to start from. 🙂

Regarding system agent voltage, it is a sensitive one. Too much or too little can affect the system's stability in a negative manner.