cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive or stay Manual mode opinions for my MXI Formula 9700k overclock

Bogartz
Level 7
I've been using Manual Mode for the past year or so and have been reading online about adaptive mode and trying to determine if it's necessary considering my current voltages/OC. I first utilized the Auto overclock feature to see how far I could go. It resulted in 5.2Ghz at something like 1.34v or around there, which I thought was pretty good. I then found der8auer's 9900k overclocking guide (I have a 9700k) which I've been using this setup for the past year or so. Since recently reading some stuff online I was considering dialing in adaptive mode, but thought maybe I'd throw it on the forums to see if any users/Asus folks see any reasons to or not to change based on my current specs.

My build:
Asus Maximus XI Formula
9700k OC 5.0Ghz @ 1.230v
32G GSkill 3000 RAM
EVGA 2080 Ti XC
Corsair AX1600i PSU
Corsair 1000D
Dual loop 480 Radiators

I use HWInfo64 to monitor temps and voltages and for the most part I'm sitting at 1.17v idle and 1.23v (roughly) at load. Temperatures range from low 50's to low 60s playing Division 2, Valhalla, WD Legions, Hitman 3, Warzone and so on.

My understanding of Adaptive allows for voltages to relax when idle and or mild use and adjust when needed, Manual just sets it at a hard voltage and from my situation adjust slightly when idle and moderate use as stated above min 1.17 up to 1.23 at load maybe peaking to 1.25 on some games if I recall, still good voltages from what I've read.

Any reasons to adjust to Adaptive for daily/long term usage?

Here's a shot of my build -

3 REPLIES 3

Bogartz
Level 7
Steveo_ wrote:
nice build,

Thanks 😄

adaptive is similar to auto

Yeah that's kind of what I gathered, which I've never really used auto for voltages just because in some cases the auto tunes it much higher than needed. I have done offsets in previous builds which seem to help dial it in without too much overhead.

I feel like my chip runs great with the voltages I have considering some of the volts/temps I've seen for similar clocks is well above what I'm able to achieve. I just wasn't sure if there were any improvements that could be gained from adaptive over my manual setup.

I might see about creating a profile using adaptive to see if there's anything noticeable between the two.

Thanks for the reply Steveo, much appreciated.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Adaptive has the benefit of using the stock VID table up until using the turbo multiplier.

However, the voltage cannot be set lower than the stock vid for a given ratio. Sometimes more voltage can be needed to accommodate for load transitioning if previously using a manual or fixed voltage. It's worth it for the benefit of power saving, if you care about such things.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Adaptive has the benefit of using the stock VID table up until using the turbo multiplier.

However, the voltage cannot be set lower than the stock vid for a given ratio. Sometimes more voltage can be needed to accommodate for load transitioning if previously using a manual or fixed voltage. It's worth it for the benefit of power saving, if you care about such things.

I do recall reading something regarding the stock vid being the lowest voltage one can achieve for said clock. With current settings I range from 1.17v - 1.235v idle/load with temps between 28C-65C based on HWiNFO64. I'll have to do some testing to see if there's any benefits overall, seems where I'm at is a lot lower than what I've seen suggested online, 5.0Ghz @ 1.32v-1.34v or somewhere around there, so I might be at a good spot with a really good chip.

Thanks for the reply Silent Scone.