cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9900k CPU Frequency while gaming

09subie
Level 8
I have a stock 9900k with XMP I enabled and multi-core disabled. Using HWMonitor i've noticed that in some games under load all 8 of my cores are at 4700mhz while in other games not all 8 cores are pinned at 4700mhz. Basically some games have the cores fluctuating in frequency.

For example, while playing Modern Warfare and Destiny 2 both games have all 8 cores pinned at 4700mhz for the entire time I'm playing. Doesn't matter if I'm in the menu or playing the moment the game is turned on all 8 cores are pinned at 4700mhz.

I decided to check out a couple other games like Red Dead Redemption 2, DMC 5 and Resident Evil 2. I noticed right away that with these games the 8 cores were not always pinned at 4700mhz like Destiny and COD. I guess I was also expecting those games to have all 8 cores pinned at 4700mhz also.

Is what I'm experiencing normal and nothing to worry about? Or should every game always have all cores at the same turbo frequency? I just want to make sure my 9900k is working as intended.
2 REPLIES 2

Falkentyne
Level 12
09subie wrote:
I have a stock 9900k with XMP I enabled and multi-core disabled. Using HWMonitor i've noticed that in some games under load all 8 of my cores are at 4700mhz while in other games not all 8 cores are pinned at 4700mhz. Basically some games have the cores fluctuating in frequency.

For example, while playing Modern Warfare and Destiny 2 both games have all 8 cores pinned at 4700mhz for the entire time I'm playing. Doesn't matter if I'm in the menu or playing the moment the game is turned on all 8 cores are pinned at 4700mhz.

I decided to check out a couple other games like Red Dead Redemption 2, DMC 5 and Resident Evil 2. I noticed right away that with these games the 8 cores were not always pinned at 4700mhz like Destiny and COD. I guess I was also expecting those games to have all 8 cores pinned at 4700mhz also.

Is what I'm experiencing normal and nothing to worry about? Or should every game always have all cores at the same turbo frequency? I just want to make sure my 9900k is working as intended.

Enable Sync All Cores, and then set a CPU multiplier. You can also disable Intel Turbo Boost Technology.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Your CPU is working as normally. Different games have different load needs on the CPU. Nothing to worry about.