cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8700K overclock - safe for 24/7 use?!

Alexauwa
Level 7
Hey guys,

I did slightly overclock my 8700k to 4,8GHz. The PC is used for office applications as well for 4K Videoediting. So I was wondering if my settings are save for a 24/7 use?

Temps have been tested in Prime95, ADIA64, Realbench and Cinebench. They have been between 70 - 78 degrees. In IDLE CPU clocks down to 3,7 GHz and temps are around 30 degrees. Ediiting 4k in Premiere Pro temps were about 60-70.

// Here is my hardware:
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING S1151v2 Z390/DDR4/ATX
Intel Core i7 8700K 6x 3.70GHz So.1151 WOF
Noctua NH-D15S CPU can with dual fans
64GB G.Skill Trident Z silber/rot DDR4-3200 DIMM CL14 Dual Kit
1000GB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s
500 GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2
500 GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
NVIDIA GTX 1060

// Here are my BIOS settings:
Asus MultiCore Enhancement = enabled
CPU Core Ratio = Sync all cores = 48
CPU Load-Line Calibration = 6
CPU Power Duty Control = T.Probe
Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) = disabled
Turbo Mode = enabled
Long / short duration power limit = 4095
Min / max. CPU Cache ratio = 44
CPU core voltage = 1.3
DRAM = 1.35
VCCIO = 1.1
System Agent Voltage = 1.05
DRAM timings = 14 14 34

Having my cpu clock set to auto (4,7 max then), my vcore was going up to 1.32 - 1.34 sometimes. So I decided to have a fixed vcore at 1.3 now.

The complete alternativ would be to leave everything on auto with "Asus MultiCore Enhancement = enabled" and my RAM fix to 3200 mhz and 14-14-34. Then of course the vcore goes down to under 1 in IDLE. So for this hybrid pc what would you recommand?

Thank you!

Alex
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
Alex I am a fan of having my system power down the vcore when it is not needed. I like to leave all the Intel C states and the SpeedStep enabled personally.

I have also found that increasing my OC slightly is not negatively impacted by having these power saving states enabled.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Alex I am a fan of having my system power down the vcore when it is not needed. I like to leave all the Intel C states and the SpeedStep enabled personally.

I have also found that increasing my OC slightly is not negatively impacted by having these power saving states enabled.

Thank you, what specific settings in Bios would allow me that? Would I leave Vcore on auto? When doing so it will do above 1.3 which is not needed. Right now my system works perfectly fine with 1.3 vcore on 4,8 ghz.

Btw, are my temps fine? Rending 4k footage in Adobe Media encoder give me 80 degrees right now. AXV offset is not set though.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Alex what is your ambient temps and assuming a 24'C your temps are fine with the air cooler.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Alex what is your ambient temps and assuming a 24'C your temps are fine with the air cooler.

I guess it is around 22 degrees. 28 somestimes in summer.

Having office, browser and skype programms running not doing much my temps sit at 30 degrees. CPU fan running at 551 RPM of 1500 RPM.