cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8700K OC temps at 5.0Ghz how should I interpret the temps?

walrbe
Level 8
I'm running 5.0ghz I'd like to ask how to evaluate core temps with the various tests? When using intel burn test my temps arehigh 80's deg C with some cores hitting 91C. When running OCCT its sits on mid 60's the only difference I see is OCCT is running clock at 4.8Ghz because of the CPU Offset for AVX. My core voltage is 1.296V max. I'm using Deepcool 280 AIO. I did try 5.1Ghz briefly but got high 90's using Aida64 so I backed off.

I'm guessing I could try 5.1Ghz again but with slightly lower voltage 1.35V was making it too hot. I'd appreciate your insight. thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
RealBench was created pretty much to skip around this kind of problem. It uses much more holistic/realworld testing and if your system can pass its stress test then it's probably all good for 24/7 use.

Other stress tests simply don't test in the same way...all hammering away at one subsystem for unrealistic temperatures and loads. In fact they often pass doing just the one type of test and then the system fails running a game...

I'd also point out that there is a point at which 100MHz increase simply brings virtually no return in performance and a whole lot of return in temperature and current degradation of your CPU

Check out my OC guide in sig:o

x-rated
Level 8
walrbe wrote:
I'm running 5.0ghz I'd like to ask how to evaluate core temps with the various tests?

the most important temps are in apps you use 🙂 other tests are just for more stability check purposes, if you don't use them on daily basis at 110+°C, there's nothing to care about

Yeah thanks, good points.

JustinThyme
Level 13
91C is getting a bit warm. TJ max on that chip is 100C where it will commence to throttling. I’d say so long as you don’t leak much past 90 *with a peak of no more than 95 your good.*
As already stated by Arne the wise realbemch is a better bench that actually uses a combination of real loads and not just hammering the cores for all they are worth non stop. Put that on a loop for 15 mins and it should saturate your AIO as far as it’s going to go. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
TJ max on that chip is 100C where it will commence to throttling.

it can be adjusted in bios to 115°C
this is useful when temperature in some doomsday tests like prime95 with AVX enabled spikes beyond 100°C to prevent this throttling 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
What are you guys talking about 100+ degree temps, that's crazy talk, get better cooling or tune it down a little, I don't like to see 80 degrees with the heaviest load, 90 and I'm done with that test

Menthol wrote:
What are you guys talking about 100+ degree temps, that's crazy talk, get better cooling or tune it down a little, I don't like to see 80 degrees with the heaviest load, 90 and I'm done with that test

Couldn't agree more, a test is just that a test and getting temps up to the 90's is pushing it I understand but that's the only way to see how the chip is performing. I do appreciate that something like Realbench or OCCT are more realistic testing tools and that gives me comfort on where my particular CPU can sit at. Especially for my application of my PC.