Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7700k OC mystery

Links
Level 7
Hi everyone.

My 7700k runs at 4.7ghz, 1.26V
Ram 3600mhz, 1.35V (manualy set)

Usually I play witcher 3 all the evening no problem.

Yesterday I have installed HOB. A sega 16-bit game in terms of graphics against the witcher.

2 strange things are happening:

1. CPU temp is the same as in witcher. (But after experiencing the "heat-spike issue" I can understand this). 70-73c on Core / 56-65 CPU temp.
2. After 30-40 minutes of playing the PC freezes dead. This I can not understand. Witcher, doom, play well, but a simple game causes BSODs.

I have set the XMP profile on (so I can use full speed of RAM) and have set the CPU to 4.6Ghz @ 1.25V adaptive (Or should I set to Auto?).
No freezes....

*Back in the days I had a 3770k. That system was freezing too, with XMP turned on. So current freezes are 99% related to OCing.

Advice plz!
10 REPLIES 10

Korth
Level 14
The OGRE game engine is poorly-optimized for high-end GPU cards with lots of VRAM, lol, I had similar issues with Torchlight 2.

Try running graphics on iGPU.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS and run your system at stock. If the BSOD still happens, it's the game. If not, it's your OC.

It's my OC.
4.6 Ghz @ 1.25v are running normal.

Korth
So this problem might only appear in this game? If so, after finishing it I can return to higher OC.

Chino
Level 15
Depends on how stable your overclock is. Remember that part of stability testing involves real-word usage. Take stress tests with a pinch of salt. 🙂

Thanx for such a detailed answer!

So I guess we can call it a game issue.
"Glad" that I'm not the only person with a pretty high CPU temp in a simple game.

I am adviced to use adaptive not for the extra Mhz, but for less heat.
Do You advice to use manual voltage?
My previous 7700k was running 4.8 fine, but the current one doesn't want to , even @ 1.285V.

Links
Level 7
My "daily 4.7ghz" OC was 100% stable before this new game.

So can I count this case as a badly optimised game?

Korth
Level 14
For me the problem only occurred in TL2. And in TL and Hob, which I didn't actually play (much) but only downloaded to test and address this performance issue. They all use OGRE engine.

My workaround was play the game in a KVM instance, a Win7x64/iGPU desktop running in its own window (on another monitor). An overkill technical approach, but it works fine. TL2 worked flawlessly with i7-7700K at 4.8GHz around 65C while running 1080p off Intel HD 630 iGPU. While TL2 sustained 85C temps while running same clock off x8/x8 Titan Xp (which is otherwise capable of running Unigine benchmarks, Rise of Tomb Raider, and Crysis 3 at 1440p around 60C).

I never use adaptive voltages. I prefer constant predictability and stability over the chance of squeezing out a few extra MHz.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate152
Hi Links

Adaptive mode will save power, you'll have much lower temps at idle and will help your cpu last longer. I delidded my 7700k and run in manual mode.

I post alot of videos, I don't know if you've seen any but here's one, I'm sure you know what all the numbers mean. 🙂

Korth
Level 14
It is a strange result. 4C/8T CPU in practice is more like 5C/5T running games. With one thread running linux OS, one running hypervisor/VM, one running Win7 in the WM, plus extra work in the CPU package with iGPU going ... still faster and cooler for me than having full CPU on game with a pair of high-end GPU cards.

Easy enough to just try it yourself, enable iGPU (and install iGPU drivers, if you haven't), disable PCIe, launch the game. If it doesn't work for you then reverse your changes. It's only a pain if you have to switch your monitor cable each time.

Adaptive voltage has advantages, uses more power when needed, uses less power overall, with good cooling it consistently sustains higher clocks. I prefer to not use it because I don't trust "smart" automation and I don't like variance. And I'm "softcore" ROG, I don't like pushing parts to their extremes because they tend to just end up requiring more time and attention and burning hotter and brighter and burning out faster. Adaptive voltage is a popular choice for good reason, and a good argument can be made for adaptive voltage actually being gentler on your CPU in the long run, but the tradeoff for a few hundred more MHz I don't really need is not for me.

[/Korth]