jjcuff1
Level 7
Well I have been playing with my build.
z270-F
Gskillz 16gb 3200DDR4-16C
GTX 1070 SC EVGA
Samsung EVO 850 SSD
AIO A40 Ultimate
NZXT S340 case and 2 ML120 fans (plus the 2 fans in in AIO QF120)

I primarily play Project Cars and maybe 4 hours week max of solid play time with just idle time on it. Mainly a toy simrig setup. First question: I have played for weeks on this setup at 5ghz/3200 no problem no crashes 1.325V and never stressed tested or worried about. I did have issues with the ram doing XMP so I I had to bump dram Volt to 1.36 and VSSCA to 1.31 and VCCIO to 1.1 to run at 3200. Searching for issues on my ram or returning it I started looking here at temps and started stress testing and found my temps seemed high and stress testing really high and I started dialing things down.

So my cores 1, like everyone here is the keep temp culprit. According to intel it is +/- 5C accuracy but I am seeing 13-15 under stress when OC. I also noticed, for projects cars OC didn't effect FPS as much as memory speed and lower volts/power! So in the end I am running lower OC now at faster FPS and cool temps

Step 1: I updated my Intel Chip-set to the latest driver ending in .84. This cut the variation in half. (I also re TIM and changed fans and reTIM again prior to all this so it wasn't install method) and I notice my Temps are within 9C typically under stress and usually 5C for other times. Also as my OC reaches hi temps core 1 runs away and has seen over 10C variation.

Step 2: I played with my A40. I swapped the stock GF120 to Noctua F12 iPPC 3000RPM PWM hi psi fan. There was no difference max temps and idle temps seemed higher and a ton of noise. I returned them and stuck the 2 QF120 back in push mode. Then I have the ML120 PRO and ML140PRO on exhaust. One back and 1 top.
I set the A40 for 50%/40C 80%/50C 100%/60C exhaust fans are the 40%/40C 80%/50C 100%/60C. I want the case to have positive airflow not be negative at idle.

Step 3: I checked my TIM. I tried MX4 and Noctura both worked the same and stayed with Noctua NT-H1

Step 4 Base TESTING: I started testing with and without XMP all under stock settings. All auto no changes. I am listing my max peak temp from HWmonitor while running XTU or Realbench. Basically it is core 1 temps.... Which I asusme is next to the mem controller because of the heat.
BONE STOCK 4.5GHZ 2133MHZ
HWMonitor
Idle: 27C
Gaming: 58C
XTU 5min stress test
59C
Realbench Stress
63C

STOCK + XMP 4.5GHZ 3200MHZ (would not run had to run dram at 1.36V and VSSA at 1.3V and VCIIO at 1.15V) Timings auto ran at 16-16-16-36-2
HWMonitor
Idle: 28C
Gaming 63C
XTU 5min stress test
69C
Realbench Stress
84C

Step 5: OC Test
4.9GHZ @ 1.295V 3200MEM (5ghz was slightly higher)
Idle 33
Gaming 78C
XTU 81C
RealBench 88+ immediately and I shut it down

4.8ghz @ 1.23V 3200MEM
Idle 32C
Gaming 72C
XTU: 73C
RealBench: 76C

4.7GHZ @ 1.235V 3200MEM
Idle 29
Gaming 67C
XTU 71C
Realbench 72C

Ultimately:
1-Are my temps good for an AIO or out of wack idle vs game vs stress? I think it is ok just the i7 runs hot?
2-Does the stress test matter. You can see even at 5ghz gaimg never hits 80c for any amoutn of time but under stress and 1sec peaks it might.
3-real world FPS in pcars the game actually runs faster at lower cooler temps (even without signs of throttling). SO I am at 4.7-3200 now and it is quieter and plays fine.
4- I assume with a delid I will drop 15deg on stress numbers?
5- I have ran my chip up to 5.2 stable at 1.335V but I never looked at temps 😞 scared.
6- Has anyone tried not syncing cores? IE 50 on 1,,3,4 and 48 on 1. Will that slow things down to 48 anyway in games?
12 REPLIES 12

mahanddeem
Level 7
Stop overclocking and run 4.5GHz and XMP.
7700K is a powerful CPU at stock, why you want the extra heat and power consumption? Any specific reason?
I mean why not to OC when your CPU is a healthy one and requires very low or close to stock voltage and temps tops 65c in torture stress test. Otherwise stock is good for most needs.

PS:I run at 4.8GHz, cache 4.5GGHz, XMP and vcore max 1.216v. Never fiddled with other voltages and XMP works without any intervention and max temps of 66c(stress). And even with that I didn't see measurable performance gains in general computing or gaming to be honest.

mahanddeem wrote:
Stop overclocking and run 4.5GHz and XMP.
7700K is a powerful CPU at stock, why you want the extra heat and power consumption? Any specific reason?
I mean why not to OC when your CPU is a healthy one and requires very low or close to stock voltage and temps tops 65c in torture stress test. Otherwise stock is good for most needs.

We are in an overclocking forum right?.... 😉
I had a haswell i5 at 4.3 and wanted the MHZ. That said you are right. My game has seen a bump on the i7 because it is so CPU intensive.
My CPU fired up at 5ghz no problem and ran fine, I only dug for more testing when I realized it was hot and loud.
And minimal benefit with CPU speeds. More benefit for 3200 mem.

So yes I can run 4.7 at lower then stock volts and cooler with 3200 so that is what I settled on. But knowing I can bump things up 10%...... hmmm

I have my preorder 1080TI EVGA SC2 coming this week I hope and a cooler system is better. The 1080TI will take care of the rest.

OH and why OC? I am playing Project cars 2 in VR. 45FPS is the bare min and every FPS over that makes a difference so some tracks are at 49 so getting them into the 50s makes things that much more fluid.

Nate152
Hi jjcuff1

The 7700k runs hot !

I try and shy away from stress tests too, as you say stress testing shoots temps high quickly. I delidded my 7700k and saw an average of a 15c temp decrease in Realbench.

But gaming temps is what to be concerned with, after delidding I can game with my 7700k at 5.3GHz and the cpu cache at 5.0GHz but I need 1.52v to do it.

I used thermal grizzly conductonaut (liquid metal) in between the die and IHS and used thermal grizzly kryonaut between the cpu and water block.

If you're interested in delidding start on page 9.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92094-Maximus-IX-Code-A-little-insight-and-delidded-7700k/...

Delidding would let you overclock higher and still have decent temps, here is my gaming results.

Nate thanks, So my non-delid are good temps. It seems like I have a good CPU too. I have Noctua NT-H1 and it worked well for the WaterCooler. I will try the thermal for the DELID, was it easy to do and reassemble with the kit?

I am at stock Cache for all my test (42x I think) so if I run it at 44-45 on my 4.8 clock do I need to change anything other then the 1 cache multiplier?

Nate I checked out your build. Great!
I notice your 5k numbers were 72C RB prior to delid then I checked your mem.
It looks like you were running 2133 memory and 5k?

Then Post DL you are lower. Have you tried 3200+ that is the real kicker.

Nate152
Yes my ram runs at 3000MHz with 15-15-15-35-2N timings with the overclock in the video. I ran everything at stock to see how far I could overclock the cpu then once I found my max overclock the ram and cache came up to speed nicely.

To overclock the cache just raise the cache multiplier, the cpu core voltage and cache voltage is tied together so take what it will give you on the cache.

It's super easy to delid with the Rockit 88, the only hard part is cleaning off Intels silicon which isn't that bad. You don't need much liquid metal, I gave a few tips for delidding your cpu in the thread I linked.

jjcuff1 wrote:
We are in an overclocking forum right?.... 😉
I had a haswell i5 at 4.3 and wanted the MHZ. That said you are right. My game has seen a bump on the i7 because it is so CPU intensive.
My CPU fired up at 5ghz no problem and ran fine.

Voltage of 1.3v (and up) is not fine, Temps of 75c is not fine, messing with VCCIO, VCAA, etc, also not fine, XMP doesn't work on Auto not fine.

jjcuff1 wrote:
I have my preorder 1080TI EVGA SC2 coming this week I hope and a cooler system is better. The 1080TI will take care of the rest.
OH and why OC? I am playing Project cars 2 in VR. 45FPS is the bare min and every FPS over that makes a difference so some tracks are at 49 so getting them into the 50s makes things that much more fluid.

You are GPU limited darling, CPU 45GHz vs 48GHz will not increase your fps from 49fps to 50s, 1080Ti will.

Nate152
Max safe voltage from the Intel data sheet is 1.52v, this is of course if you can keep temps under control. You'd never be able to run at that voltage without delidding even with a custom water loop.

Click the pic to make it bigger.

It says 1.52 what is not safe about 1.31 when bone stock the i7 at 4.5ghz runs at 1.33 on stress test? It settles around 1,26 during games.

I am aware it runs hot even with AIO. Every text sheet from intel states 80C is max temp but 70C under load is normal.
I am running under 70C under all real world. Only at stress test does it hit 72-75C all under 1.31V I am running 1.22V now.
1.29V gives me 5GHZ at 79C full stress and 73C under loads. 49ghz is the 75/70. I am running at 47 now 70/61.

Pcars 2 beta in particular is issue, not optimized and probably memory leaks, since it was evident with a change in mem mhz it scaled up and added the 7FPS for same setup just higher mem speeds.

Yes I am GPU limited for sure especially in VR with 1070. In Battlefield 1, 4k I am seeing low 60s with 4.8 maybe high 60s but it doesnt matter to me all playable. That said still a fast card but runs at 99%cpu use now. Now with latest tweaks and lower volts it runs cooler, draw less power and just as fast or faster the 5ghz. 1080TI should be here this week then maybe 5ghz might help.

I was asking for an AIO, non delid is this normal temps to see or is my cooling bad? I am assuming, no it is fine for what it is. Just run lower temps if it keeps me happy or f**k it and run 5ghz at 1.33 and hit peaks of 85C occasionally. It wont burn up anytime soon for the amount I use it.