cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5960x 4.8 @ 1.3v / 5.0 @ 1.35v (not kidding)

cekim
Level 11
Never hurts to go over your system with a fine-tooth comb... I found my PWM EK pump voltages were way off as I had tuned the wrong thing in the BIOS (I had hooked up the pump control to 4 and the fans for the radiator to 1 and then tuned 1 as if it were the pump).

That wasn't the only issue I found, nor can it fully explain this. Short run-down of issues and possible impact:
- water pump was nearly off/off at any temp short of 75C (and still remarkably effective - but temps are much narrower core-to-core now)

- all fans were running harder than they needed to be (there are 12 fans, 3 140mm, 3 200mm), meaning they were drawing current and inserting noise I am sure through the MB

- random PCIe conflicts with M.2 and 10GbE card (PCIe lanes all busy - SLI x16x2 + 10GbE + m.2). Solved by using hyper card instead of m.2

So, with that all out of the way:
1. ~10 minutes of aida64 at 4.8 @ 1.3v (it eventually found instability, but look at those temps?)
2. 5GHz club :cool:
26 REPLIES 26

Gobe
Level 8
I like it!

cekim
Level 11
Yet still no 3000 ddr4 lol 😉

cekim
Level 11
Uh wow, so x99 really is multi-pole on voltage stability.

I saw the post about 1.17v 4.5GHz, so I tried it. Works so far.... I'm thinking that I need to start over from 1v and work up rather than down now that I know it wants more vccsa...

cekim wrote:
Uh wow, so x99 really is multi-pole on voltage stability.

I saw the post about 1.17v 4.5GHz, so I tried it. Works so far.... I'm thinking that I need to start over from 1v and work up rather than down now that I know it wants more vccsa...

Wait... what? Please explain, or provide link.

cekim wrote:
Here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83957-i7-5960X-4-5-Ghz-v1-167-on-Asus-RVE

Hey man,nice scores congratulations!
My post photo was deleted therefore i upload here again for values.
http://i.hizliresim.com/1dadR5.png

I want say something about lastest Bios,im super stable with 2001 bios but when im flash 3xxx series bios my stability was gone and tembs are was high.2001 bios for me best R5VE bios ever.

Cpt.Flippy wrote:
Hey man,nice scores congratulations!
My post photo was deleted therefore i upload here again for values.
http://i.hizliresim.com/1dadR5.png

I want say something about lastest Bios,im super stable with 2001 bios but when im flash 3xxx series bios my stability was gone and tembs are was high.2001 bios for me best R5VE bios ever.

Thanks, I haven't tried to go back as I needed the BW-E support. No issues on the X99Pro with the latest though... Certainly read a few people seeing issues though. The only thing I saw was 1T timings were a no-go on memory.

Qwinn
Level 11
Ok, still not sure I'm getting it. Is the suggestion here that you can drop voltage, lose stability, drop it further and get stability back? That would imply that you could raise voltage on your 1.17v OC and actually lose stability.

Qwinn wrote:
Ok, still not sure I'm getting it. Is the suggestion here that you can drop voltage, lose stability, drop it further and get stability back? That would imply that you could raise voltage on your 1.17v OC and actually lose stability.

Well, that's a really terrible way to look at it, but technically accurate/possible. 😉

In a complex circuit there is usually a "set" of possible frequencies and voltages that will all function, but given overshoot, ringing, etc... there is no guarantee that this set will be continuous.

That is, it is entirely possible that you can have a system that works from N->M, does not work from M->X and then works again from X->Y where N < Y.

It is also possible for it to function over this entire range, but be more or less susceptible to temperature and load variations over longer spans of time.

Given that, as overclockers, we have zero visibility into the system, we tend to assume and rely upon linearity to fudge through this reality, but now and then this proves to be very, very wrong.