cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.2 GHz or 5.1GHz

Sniper_3001
Level 7
Hey guys. So after having a dud of a 7700k (couldn't even reach 4.9 GHz without 1.45+ voltage) I decided to get rid of it and sell it. I then went and bought a pretested chip from Silicon Lottery. Now they claimed the chip could hit 5.2 at 1.44 volts which is somewhat true I guess. I was able to hit that and play games like COD infinite warfare for abourb2 hours and no crash. I then decided to run Real Bench but I got a BSOD after about 30 min and my computer just restarted. I upp'd the voltage 1.45, 1.46, 1.47 and still same results within the same 30min. Also when I run prime95 it does the exact same thing. No worker stopped just a BSOD with a reboot. *My CPU is delidded and running water cooler and my temps are around 59-60 at 100% load with 1.47 volts. It's around 55 at 1.44 (my old chip was hitting 90 at those volts). So my questions are:*
1) do I keep going and increase voltage to try and hit a stable OC?
2) what are the safe CPU temps for a Kabylake?
3) would you guys drop to 5.1?
4) could there be something wrong with real bench and prime95?
P.s no avx offset*
4 REPLIES 4

panzlock
Level 12
Use the same voltage with which you achieved 5.2 but back off on the OC a little and see if it remains stable.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

You're getting way up there on the voltage. I would make sure that LLC is not spiking you past 1.5. From what I have been reading. 1.45 is the maximum vcore you should be running and even this may shorten your cpu's lifespan. AVX makes a big difference. On my 7700k at 1.4v under load the cpu can do 5.1 ghz with non-avx coded stress tests and only 5.0 ghz at the same vcore. If you think you can run 5.2, set the avx offset to 1 or 2 and re-run Realbench. It will use AVX instructions for some of the tests but if you monitor in HWiNFO64 you will see certain cores downclock to your avx offset and others will hum along at your full non-avx overclock. It may be a nice middle ground to hit 5.2 but not have to go crazy on vcore to get avx at the same clock speed.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you are still within the 30 days you can return the chip to silicon lottery for a replacement or refund. According to their stats all their chips will run realbench for an hour with 1.44V or less and thats not delided. They run it with an AIO for cooling.

Mine will hit 5.2 at 1.4 stable all day but ive backed it off to 5.0 so I can run at a lower voltage of 1.35. Personally I wouldn't go past 1.45 for long, its fun if you have good cooling as that's the biggest barrier.
Something else to keep in mind is the ram will have an effect on stability too. What voltage are you running that at? Sometimes just bumping the Vram up helps just dont go bonkers with it. 1.35 is usually sufficient unless you have a water block on the ram too.
Whats your BCLCK?
IS your grahics OCd?

The jest of it is there are other things to look at other than Vcore.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Chino
Level 15
Silicon Lottery usually specify if the stability test used to validate the overclock. So maybe it's capable of hitting 5.2GHz but not completely stable.