Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4960X Overclocking Settings?

SoulDragonWithF
Level 7
Hi everyone.

Here's the deal.
I have just built a high end rig with a i7 4960x CPU, an Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition mobo, cooled using a corsair h100i liquid cooler. It is built inside a cosmos 2 loaded to the brim with performance fans, so no prob there either.
But the big problem is I have NEVER overclocked in my life having always bought mid-range laptops. I understand the basics, ie just turn up the multipliers for speed and turn up vcore for stability. I also understand that each CPU is different but I was just wondering what kind of settings should I set the CPU voltage to in order to get 4.9 GHz? That's my target. Is this realistic for a typical 4960x? By typical I mean 1 not in the top 10% of overclocking capability. I know they are all slightly different. What kind of voltage has anyone else used? I just don't want to over do it and fry my CPU. Id just like to have some idea of the kind of voltages and speeds I can expect to achieve with this.

And WHAT is the CPU strap?

FULL SPECS
MoBo= Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition
CPU = i7 4960x (Both 8 pin and 4 pin being used)
CPU Cooler = Corsair h100i (Top of case intake, configured in push)
RAM = 32 gb Kingston HyperX Beast black (configured in 4 channel)
PSU = Corsair AX860i
Graphics = 1x ASUS HD 7970 Matrix Platinum (Overclocked to 1230 mhz, running at 16x, 4 pin molex AUX power NOT used on board)
Boot Drive = ROG Raidr PciE SSD 225 gb
Storage = 4TB WD Black
Case = Cooler Master Cosmos 2
Replaced Fans: 200mm Bitfinex Spectre Pro (front intake), 2 X Cooler master Turbine master (side exhaust), NZXT FX120 (top exhaust), NZXT FX140 (rear exhaust)
Misc: NZXT HUE, Pioneer BluRay Writer, HyperX Ram Cooler

Thanks 😄
-SoulDragonWithFlow
1 REPLY 1

Menthol
Level 14
You may have your target to high, especially with the cooling you have. This is the first place to start http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38018-Guide-Easy-Overclocking-with-Ivy-Bridge-E-%96-The-Lis...

Give that a good read, start with a very mild overclock, check stability with Realbench, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43233-Realbench-v2-Discussion-Thread-Download-Links&country...

You will need to list all your hardware - Ram, Power supply etc. when you come back to ask for help