cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4790k one core running hot suddenly!

SinisterDev85
Level 11
I haven't had much trouble with my rig up until recently. I upgraded from 4770k to a brand new 4790k and around Christmas. Also installed a new Corsair H110i GT. Had trouble with the cooler, ended up having to RMA it. I installed the new one and everything was performing great at first. Turns out i won the bin lottery and this 4790k was running impressively. New cooler was working well too. Couple of ROG peeps on here were really impressed with the OC i was able to attain at fairly low voltage.

So, long story short, I've been very busy lately and haven't even had the computer on in the last week. Finally got to hop on there a minute ago... Suddenly BSOD! I reboot, get to desktop and core 0,2,3 and 4 are all idling at around 22C, however core 1 is pinned at 75C!!
I switched the fans to performance mode, the 3 cores dropped even more, core 1 still hovering around 75C.
I haven't changed any settings. Everything was peachy last time i had it on. Not sure what's up. Figured someone might have an idea.

Only thing that's really changed is that i had to re tim the cpu when i installed the new cooler obviously . I usually use Artic Silver 5. I have several tubes laying around. The one i used may be a little old. Could this just be caused by bad thermal compound?
Any ideas?
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hello SinisterDev85

You could do a repaste and check the waterblock to see if the tim looks even all around.

There are two ways to apply the TIM, the dot method and the spread method.

Dot methed - Apply a dab the size of a small pea in the center of the cpu and install the water block.

This is the method I prefer just so I know the entire cpu is covered. Gelids thinks the spread method is the way to go, they give you an applicator with it. The GC extreme is probably the best on the market but arctic silver 5 is still good.

Spread method - Apply a dab the size of a small pea in the center of the cpu and spread it evenly over the entire cpu with a credit card or drivers license, it is important it is a thin even layer.

Just showing you this to show you the spreader.

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=3&id=42

But first you can check to see if there is possibly something running in the background making the first core run at 75c. You can also reset the bios to defaults and see if that makes a difference.

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Thanks again Nate. Yeah i think this may have been caused by funky thermal compound. That Arctic silver i used was really old.. Mixed it up with a newer tube i had with about the same amount remaining in it. I think i might pick up a tube of that Gelid extreme. Sounds like it's a little more tricky to apply, but worth it for the results. The article on Tom's Hardware was quite informative. Seems like the Arctic MX-4 is pretty good stuff too. Time to upgrade, i guess lol.

I'm pretty accustomed to doing the spread method with the Arctic Silver. It's always worked well for me. (Except for when you use really old compound apparently lol) Spreads easily, and I've gotten pretty good at applying just the right amount to spread thinly and evenly over the surface. But perhaps the dot method would be better for the Gelid...
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro

Nate152
I prefer the spread method myself.

Hey if you haven't ordered the Gelids GC extreme yet this one has better heat conductivity.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B011F7W3LU