cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4790k Custom Watercooled 94c under load :(

siliconart
Level 10
So I just finished custom watercooling my streaming PC and here are the specs below-

CPU- Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard- Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene
RAM- Corsair Vengence 16GB (2×8) DDR3 21330Mhz
GFX Card- Asus GeForce GTX750ti 2G STRIX
Capture Cards- Aver Media Live Gamer HD x 2
SSD- Samsung EVO SERIES 250GB
HDD- WD 4TB Caviar Black 7200rpm
PSU- Corsair AX750i Platinum Power Supply
CASE- Phanteks Enthu Evlov mATX

Watercooling Components-

EKWB

CPU Block- Supremecy Evo
Rads- LC Solution Coolstream PE 240 x 2
Fans- Vardar 2200RPM x 4
Pump- D5 PWM Pump
Rez- XRes 3

And here are the temps I am getting under load, which I think should be way cooler. Am I wrong?

If anyone could share their thoughts and insights, that would be great.

Thanks in Advanced
- Intel Core i7 4770K OC @ 4.3 - MAXIMUS VII HERO - Gskill TridentX 16GB (2x8) DDR3 2400Mhz - 2x Asus Geforce GTX980ti DirectCU II OC 6G in SL I- Samsung 840 PRO SERIES 256GB - WD 4TB Caviar Black 7200rpm - Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Fans upgraded to: Air Series SP120 HP) - Corsair AX1200i Platinum Power Supply
54 REPLIES 54

tommiboi
Level 7
am guessing the loop is new. You build a bit compact.. loads of bending most of the loop is in they way of all your components.. Har dto remove GPU and RAM ?

Could be a few things:
Air in the loop
Rad mount
Removel of protection foil...... <-- yes this happens

Air in the loop:
Means you have bleed it more. Just turn on the system and gently tip it over rocked left right front back. Generally some air get stuck in rads or blocks.

Bad mount:
Check thermopaste is it nicely spread. Did you use the back plate? Is your mobo bending?

How is your pump doing? is provding enough flow ?
How are you fans blowing? front in and top out ?. I think they are okay.. But still can you feel the air flow when you put your hand next to the rad ?

What is Vcore on full load. I cannot see it in the screenshots ?
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

siliconart
Level 10
Thanks for the reply 🙂

I have a Build log here http://forums.siliconartgaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20 that shows a lot. (there are a lot of images, it takes time to load).

Air in the Loop: I have rocked it back and forth and I only see 1 or 2 small bubbles in one of the tubes.

I tilted the system side to side and back to front to see if any bubble came out of the rads, on bubble did from the top.

Bad mount: I would have to pull appart the loop to check the thermal paste, but it is possible I added too much?

Back Plate

CPU Block

Pump:
Pump seems to be working great between 50% - 100%.
When filling the loop its was not issue.

Fans:
Front sucks air in (in push) Top sucks air out (in push).
Yes I can feel the air comming out the other side of the Rads.

Vcore under load:

This is after the bubble came out of the Rad.

All with the Fans and pump on Max

- Intel Core i7 4770K OC @ 4.3 - MAXIMUS VII HERO - Gskill TridentX 16GB (2x8) DDR3 2400Mhz - 2x Asus Geforce GTX980ti DirectCU II OC 6G in SL I- Samsung 840 PRO SERIES 256GB - WD 4TB Caviar Black 7200rpm - Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Fans upgraded to: Air Series SP120 HP) - Corsair AX1200i Platinum Power Supply

tommiboi
Level 7
Try running this without the side panel and something is not right with your Vcore voltage... Can you add Vcore in the XTU? and post a new screenshot underload ? I mean 0.9 v ??? Weird voltage under load.

I still think alot of air is trapped in your system. tilting you system is good.. but put you pump at a 100% keep tilting it for like 10 min every wich way you can. Then try to tilt ir 1 way speeding pump up and down. getting air out of 2 loops is hard. Could be even air trapped in your CPU block.

Nate152
Hi siliconart

All looks good but I'm suspicious of the Vcore as well, maybe try resetting to defaults and/or updating the bios.

Could be thermal throttling due to high temps, the amount of thermal paste looks good so maybe there's a contact issue with the cpu and waterblock.

siliconart
Level 10
i have restored to defaults and still get tthe same result.

i was getting these hight temps when i was useing the corsair H80i, hence why i decided to watercool the cpu.

i will try a bios update.

If it doesnt help, ill have to drain it, pull it all appart and recheck the cpu block.

The only other thing i can think of is that i may have used more of the green concertrait then what the 100ml per 900ml water it recommned. Could it be that the waster is too think with concertrate?

siliconart
Level 10
ok the Bios update didnt help the temps.

But I did notice the vcore in the BIOS showing 1.264V and on CPU-Z it shows 0.963V

tommiboi
Level 7
in xtu you can add voltage to your display as well. Click the Gog wheel and add w/e you like.

if you had problems with high temp before with an other cooler. Could be you have bad mounts. But could also be the you havce bad IHS mount. that means you have RMA it. You could do a delid... but intel is very foggy about warranty on those things.

is your voltage on adaptive ? and try running the test without XMP. Dont reaaly understand why your mobo sais 1.513v on your memory settings.

siliconart
Level 10
I drained the system and took off the CPU waterblock.

Here is the Block

Here is the CPU

to me it looks like the block didnt make enough contack to the CPU, henc the thermal issues.
What do you guys think?

Nate152
It's kind of hard to tell but when you install the waterblock again make sure it's snug to the cpu. You have plenty of thermal compound so that isn't the problem.

Your 2nd post 2nd pic with you applying the thermal compound, are those plastic washers under the mounting pegs optional or are they required? You could maybe try removing those washers, that may give you better contact.