i have run x264 for about 5 hours and it bsod after 5 hours and 30 mins

here is my bsod log

my oc settings are:

44x multiplier

auto for all settings except

manual voltage set to 1.305

eventual voltage : 1.900

voltage cache to : 1.3 v

i dont know what causing the bsod...can someone give me some direction on what to do next, temp is not an issue maxing only to 81 celcius

my specs are:

4770k cooler corsair h105 with 2 sp 120 fans
asus maximus vii hero
Crucial 8 gb ram tactical tracer
Corsair Tx750
2 hdd 500 gb
Xfx r9 290x cooler nzxt g10 and antec 920
case Corsair 540r
68 REPLIES 68

maynard14
Level 7
tested with stress test using rog stress 4 hours and bsod

settings are:

4.5 multi core
vcore 1.365 v
eventual voltage 1.9
min and max cache set to 35 for both
cache voltage set to 1.2 volts

Bsod after 4 hours, max temp i on load is 75c

--------------------------------

what can i change for it to be stable, i want to be stable at 4.5 ghz i think it is possible coz i last stress test for 4 hours till it bsod, temps are not problem and its delided 🙂

at Hivizman

yes sir, thanks for the concern, yes my os still working fine 🙂 despite all the bsod

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Easy way to check OS is run command prompt as administrator and type "sfc /scannow" will check integrity of important files and if it can't repair some you know the OS is on its way out....

maynard14
Level 7
thanks sir, ill test it when i got home,

but any tips for my oc? haha trying 4.5 ghzx now,..

settings are:

4.5 multi core
vcore 1.365 v
eventual voltage 1.9
min and max cache set to 35 for both
cache voltage set to 1.2 volts

Bsod after 4 hours, max temp i on load is 75c

should i up the vccin also? and if so what num? 2.10? i think im close to stabilizing it coz i pass rog stress test for 4 hours till it bsod

HiVizMan
Level 40
What is the BSOD code when your system falls over after 4 hours?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

maynard14
Level 7
Hi sir. Again its bsod whea error. So its voltage related. Im hoping its not vcore coz i think 1.365 volts is enough for 4.5ghz

ThermalX
Level 10
How come you refuse to raise your cache frequency multiplier? 3500Mhz on the cache and trying 4500Mhz on the main operating frequency. that's 1 whole Ghz - 1000 Mhz - apart from each other. Don't you think that is a little too much...your cache is operating at 1000Mhz less that the main cpu frequency...it's like driving a car with the handbrake on man.

I won't say it again.

maynard14
Level 7
Hi bro. Coz im still trying to find my stable vcore for the 4.5 ghz. But u think thats the reason why i get whea errors? Because of the max and min cache multi?

Please, it is highly advised to keep it on ----- Auto ----- while trying to stabilize the CPU frequency, only once you find system stability on the frequency you want, should you actually begin to try to get a 1:1 ratio between the cache and the CPU frequency, or as close to it as possible. The difference between the main CPU frequency and the operating cache frequency should not dip below a +/- 300Mhz difference, because the two go too far out of sync for the CPU to properly communicate with the cache and will most likely result in corrupt data transfers between the two.

maynard14 wrote:
Yes sir that what im thinking before tweaking and overclocking the cache multi and voltage. I must first find my stable vcore or stability on 4.5 ghz before i tweak the uncore

ThermalX wrote:
Please, it is highly advised to keep it on ----- Auto ----- while trying to stabilize the CPU frequency, only once you find system stability on the frequency you want, should you actually begin to try to get a 1:1 ratio between the cache and the CPU frequency, or as close to it as possible. The difference between the main CPU frequency and the operating cache frequency should not dip below a +/- 300Mhz difference, because the two go too far out of sync for the CPU to properly communicate with the cache and will most likely result in corrupt data transfers between the two.

Sounds great and clear and easy to understand more now. Sorry to if i missunderdtood ur post sir. Yes im still trying to find my stable vcore for 4.5 ghz. Im at 1.365 vid and vcore on load is 1.367 but still bsod after 4 hours of stress testing with x264

Okay, as long as you promise to put the cpu cache frequency on Auto.

Please be aware that although 1.364V may seem high for 4.5Ghz, there are CPU's out there that require even more for that frequency. Some do require 1.4V or even up to 1.45V for 4.5Ghz. They are just not as good overclockers as others are, these are much more common than the top quality ones, which are quite rare.

If you are able (cooling wise) and feel up to trying 1.4V, or even 1.425, then I would recommend it. Should it stabilize, you have your answer: the CPU just requires that much voltage for that frequency and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you want to fabricate your own CPU to utter perfection. Should this be outside your comfort zone, than do give the guides mentioned a read, also try this one:

http://rog.asus.com/299122014/overclocking/5ghz-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide-on-maximus-vi-formula...

It's for the Maximus 6, but the same basic principles apply to the 7 versions.

Please note that up to +/- 1.275V on Vcore is considered to be more or less the "no considerable affect on CPU longevity" area, from +/- 1.275V up to +/- 1.4Vcore is considered to be a more risky area in the sense that it will actually begin to affect the longevity in a more noticeable way (the higher you go, the greater the affect, obviously), but it's highly unlikely (with proper cooling) that it will kill the CPU before your next upgrade (5-7 years +/-). Anything above is considered benchmarking territory (for us non LN2 Cooling types that ends at about 1.45 - 1.5V), but there are those who do run their CPU's @ 1.45Vcore for daily use. It's their choice.