i have run x264 for about 5 hours and it bsod after 5 hours and 30 mins

here is my bsod log

my oc settings are:

44x multiplier

auto for all settings except

manual voltage set to 1.305

eventual voltage : 1.900

voltage cache to : 1.3 v

i dont know what causing the bsod...can someone give me some direction on what to do next, temp is not an issue maxing only to 81 celcius

my specs are:

4770k cooler corsair h105 with 2 sp 120 fans
asus maximus vii hero
Crucial 8 gb ram tactical tracer
Corsair Tx750
2 hdd 500 gb
Xfx r9 290x cooler nzxt g10 and antec 920
case Corsair 540r
68 REPLIES 68

ThermalX wrote:
Okay, as long as you promise to put the cpu cache frequency on Auto.

Please be aware that although 1.364V may seem high for 4.5Ghz, there are CPU's out there that require even more for that frequency. Some do require 1.4V or even up to 1.45V for 4.5Ghz. They are just not as good overclockers as others are, these are much more common than the top quality ones, which are quite rare.

If you are able (cooling wise) and feel up to trying 1.4V, or even 1.425, then I would recommend it. Should it stabilize, you have your answer: the CPU just requires that much voltage for that frequency and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you want to fabricate your own CPU to utter perfection. Should this be outside your comfort zone, than do give the guides mentioned a read, also try this one:

http://rog.asus.com/299122014/overclocking/5ghz-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide-on-maximus-vi-formula...

It's for the Maximus 6, but the same basic principles apply to the 7 versions.

Please note that up to +/- 1.275V on Vcore is considered to be more or less the "no considerable affect on CPU longevity" area, from +/- 1.275V up to +/- 1.4Vcore is considered to be a more risky area in the sense that it will actually begin to affect the longevity in a more noticeable way (the higher you go, the greater the affect, obviously), but it's highly unlikely (with proper cooling) that it will kill the CPU before your next upgrade (5-7 years +/-). Anything above is considered benchmarking territory (for us non LN2 Cooling types that ends at about 1.45 - 1.5V), but there are those who do run their CPU's @ 1.45Vcore for daily use. It's their choice.

yes sir i promise 🙂 i will put it to auto

sorry for late reply, i see, yes i saw some oc 4770k @ 4.5 ghz @ 1.4 volts, and for me its not worth it for 4.5 ghz

i tried 4.7 ghz and 1.4 volts and tried stress test and temps never goes to 80c, max temp i got is 74c but it bsod

so here trying to oc 4.5 and i think i will settle for 4.5 ghz

yes sir its my choice to run my 4770k to 1.3 volts and to 1.38 volts

havent stress test yet, im still at work 🙂

good sir thank you again for all the advices i learn alot from you guys

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Raja@ASUS wrote:
Min CPU Cache Ratio and Max CPU Cache Ratio: Defines the maximum and minimum cache ratios (ring bus frequency). The minimum ratio only comes into effect when processor power saving features are enabled.

Keeping these settings in sync with processor core frequency is recommened from a performance standpoint. Unfortunately, most CPUs cannot keep cache ratio in sync with processor core frequency when they reach their frequency limits. Therefore, we advise leaving these two settings on auto while overclocking to eliminate the ring bus as a possible cause of instability. Once the limits of processor frequency have been reached, you may experiment by setting the cache ratio within 300MHz of CPU core frequency and monitoring for impact on system stability.

CPU Cache voltage may need to be increased to facilitate stability at higher CPU Cache frequencies, although our auto rules do scale voltage in accordance with the Cache Ratio applied – you may not need to tune the voltage manually at all.
Running CPU Cache Ratio faster than processor core frequency does not show any performance gains so we recommend staying in sync with the CPU ratio or within 300MHz (lower than CPU frequency).

I would really take some time and read Raja's great guide: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I would really take some time and read Raja's great guide: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking

Yes sir that what im thinking before tweaking and overclocking the cache multi and voltage. I must first find my stable vcore or stability on 4.5 ghz before i tweak the uncore

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Thank you for backing me up on that. Also, thanks for the guide link. I hadn't seen it before and will also be giving it a read.

@OP:

Please keep this very clearly in mind - x35 and Auto are NOT the same thing. I won't pretend to know which operating protocols Asus RoG team put in place in the Auto feature, but I am confidant that it is keeping the cache frequency close enough to the CPU operating frequency to avoid data corruptions between the CPU and it's cache. Hence why it is recommended to keep it on Auto, just because it will make sure that there are no corruptions when overclocking the main CPU frequency.

Edit: The reason why increasing CPU cache voltage aids with stability while the cache frequency remains on Auto, is because that frequency is being automatically increased in proportion to the CPU operating frequency. Setting a manual value to aid with the higher frequency demands can help provide enough energy to stabilize it's functions.

Like the quote says, leaving it on Auto avoids the cache frequency from being a possible source of instability while overclocking.

Good luck.

maynard14
Level 7
They say that i should make it stable first before turning up the cache multi and cache voltage which is which aha

maynard14
Level 7

tried auto cache voltage and auto cache multi

45 multi, manual vid to 1.365

ram auto

eventual voltage 1.965

no bsod for 1 hr

but i got worried with my vcore going to 1.392 volts yikes

ThermalX
Level 10
I know it may seem worrying, but don't. Running a CPU @ 1.4Vcore is not going to set it on fire or melt the thing, unless maybe you were employing air cooling tech from say 6 or 7 years ago. Then, maybe, you would have an issue...lol. The only way to find out whether or not a CPU requires more energy is by giving it and seeing whether or not it becomes stable. If it still doesn't stabilize at 4.5Ghz with 1.4Vcore than you know you have a tough CPU to overclock. You either give it what it needs, which may be too much for daily use, or reduce the overclock further.

Best thing you can do is just try to test with 4.5Ghz @ 1.4Vcore, employ some of the advice others have given as well, such as raising cache voltage to 1.3, maybe 1.35 (purely for testing purposes and only if everything else fails) and try some of the advice in guides. LLC might really not need touching, it's quite able on Auto, I never had any Vdroop at all. Try these settings in the Digi+ III page:

Pictures were taken from: http://rog.asus.com/254052013/maximus-motherboards/recommended-settings-for-overclocking-maximus-vi-...

I believe there is no need for increasing the RAM settings or the LLC, so leave those two alone for now. You are not overclocking the RAM and LLC @ 8 does not seem to be required. Unless you notice Vdroop on Auto.
Make sure SVID is disabled in the Extreme Tweaker page, if it hasn't changed for the 7 series.

One last thing, I have found that replacing 2x multiplier with 4Mhz on the BCLK has helped increase system stability, in my case. I ordinarily don't recommend BCLK overclocking to people but +4Mhz is still fairly safe, but be advised. BCLK overclocking affects many components, just because they all use the CPU's BCLK for their operation. Increasing it increases the RAM speed, PCIe speed, Sata speeds, and more I believe. Some of these components are quite sensitive. You could try -1x Multiplier and replace it with +2Mhz on the BCLK and see if that helps with stability. Do this only as the absolute very last resort, only if you don't want to back down to 4.4Ghz just yet.

Do not exceed +5Mhz, purely because you are affecting your storage devices and they are very sensitive. I'd hate for your data to get corrupted. Like I said, this is a last resort move, if 4.5Ghz becomes too tough, the safest option is reducing it to 4.4Ghz. Really, 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz makes very little difference. Very little indeed, what does make a bigger difference is how much more money you pay to get that +100Mhz.

I'd hate to leave until you got a stable overclock, but keep reading those guides. They can do more for you than people can answering the thread, unless the problem were quite specific, but you are having issues all around. Teaching yourself with what is out there is the best thing to do.

Good luck.

maynard14
Level 7
hi guys, its been a while posting here 🙂

ive been doing some test on my overclock and i finally make it stable on 4.5 ghz

my settings are

overclock xmp settings

45x multi

1.361 volts on the vcore

cpu cache multi min auto, and max on 40

cpu cache voltage 1.2

eventual voltage at 1.9

and using maximus hero z97 latest bios

10 hours stable using x264 stress tester

and temps are very good 74c load max after 10 hours stress testing

im a bit worried that 1.3 plus volts on the vcore will degrade my chip even at very good temps so i just lowered my overclock to 4.4 ghz vcore to 1.29 volts vid is 1.292

10 hours stable also on x264 stress test and lastly my max load after the stress test is only 64c!

im so happy and glad for all the help you give me guys, now im happly playing all the great games

thank you asus and all the members who help me

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Cool beans! Sounds good to me! Enjoy your system! 😄