cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4770K, Maximus VI Hero, a gentleman's overclock

savage1987
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm looking for the setting that stops this CPU from idling down to a lower multiplier.

4770K (not delidded just yet)
Swiftech H320
Maximus VI Hero
4x8GB G.Skill 2400 10-12-12-31 1.65V
GTX Titan
Corsair AX860

>More info here<

I'm stable at 4.4GHz with RAM at 2400MHz, and I have a stable 4.5 with 1600MHz RAM, but I want to push it a bit further.

The only real problem I have is that at these clocks the CPU is idling at full speed, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Perhaps I need to approach it differently. Currently I have trusted RoG's auto profiles quite heavily. The 4.4 was straight from the BIOS preset, untouched, and the 4.5 was the 4.6 preset bumped down by one due to Prime failing @ 30min.

I have tried setting everything on "optimised defaults" with RAM XMP, then bumping the multiplier up to 40 without changing anything else, and this alone kills the system's idle.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks,
Sam
CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: 12GB Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics Card: MSI HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr II
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold
Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + Zalman ZM-MFC1 Combo Fan Controller
Monitor: LG Flatron W2253TQ
38 REPLIES 38

Bradaz85
Level 7
My core multiplier is on 44 now and I've dropped the offset down to 0.055 which gives me a max Core Voltage of 1.264 read from CPU-z and 10 mins into a prime95 has given me a max core temp of 87c so far.

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is much better, I was a little nervous of 0.100 for offset but hey ho if it works it works.

Temps for a stress test are fine for that frequency, remember you are not going to be using your system at 100% core load in the real world. So your upper limit for day to day usage is about 75'C (90'C under stress test)
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
That is much better, I was a little nervous of 0.100 for offset but hey ho if it works it works.

Temps for a stress test are fine for that frequency, remember you are not going to be using your system at 100% core load in the real world. So your upper limit for day to day usage is about 75'C (90'C under stress test)

Thats good then, so its safe to leave it at 4.4 Ghz? with the settings I have?

LiveOrDie
Level 11
It all depends on your chip mine can do 4.4Ghz on 1.2v for 4.6Ghz it needs 1.272v, Its best to start of using a manual voltage and work up, Try 4.4Ghz and set a manual 1.2v see if it gets into windows if it does then download Asus real bench and do 10 loops of the Stress test to see if it stable if its not increase the voltage by 0.02 each time so you would try 1.22v and work from there, After finding a stable voltage set that voltage with the adaptive voltage setting.

If you want a good OC with low temps you need to look into delidding your CPU but this path isn't for every one, More people that want the most out of there CPUs and don't care about warranty.

I dropped 15-20c off my load temps delidding my CPU.

LiveOrDie wrote:
It all depends on your chip mine can do 4.4Ghz on 1.2v for 4.6Ghz it needs 1.272v, Its best to start of using a manual voltage and work up, Try 4.4Ghz and set a manual 1.2v see if it gets into windows if it does then download Asus real bench and do 10 loops of the Stress test to see if it stable if its not increase the voltage by 0.02 each time so you would try 1.22v and work from there, After finding a stable voltage set that voltage with the adaptive voltage setting.

If you want a good OC with low temps you need to look into delidding your CPU but this path isn't for every one, More people that want the most out of there CPUs and don't care about warranty.

I dropped 15-20c off my load temps delidding my CPU.

Okay thanks for the tips! Ill look into doing this soon but so far im quite impressed with the performance compared to my 8350. If in a year or so the chip is out performing then I will look into de-lidding it and raising the clock even further but as of now its 3 days old and I don't want to do this 🙂 I have heard of its bonuses with lowering temps but I'm just not that confident to do it yet.

Bradaz85 wrote:
Okay thanks for the tips! Ill look into doing this soon but so far im quite impressed with the performance compared to my 8350. If in a year or so the chip is out performing then I will look into de-lidding it and raising the clock even further but as of now its 3 days old and I don't want to do this 🙂 I have heard of its bonuses with lowering temps but I'm just not that confident to do it yet.

The 4770K will last you a long time and as your going from AMD which is slower vs clock to clock you will see the difference easy, I delidded my CPU after a month as i needed the best temp i could get as some times I'm gaming in +30c ambient temps and the heat transfer from the die to the IHS on my chip was very poor, What type cooler are you running you should be able to get 4.4Ghz for every day use without delidding.

LiveOrDie wrote:
The 4770K will last you a long time and as your going from AMD which is slower vs clock to clock you will see the difference easy, I delidded my CPU after a month as i needed the best temp i could get as some times I'm gaming in +30c ambient temps and the heat transfer from the die to the IHS on my chip was very poor, What type cooler are you running you should be able to get 4.4Ghz for every day use without delidding.

Im using the Noctua dual fan dual radiator beast, cant remember what its called but its the popular one, I love it. Ive got some MX-4 thermal paste on it, will prob get that chaged rather soon as it was just a make do, was skint after the mobo and cpu. Im on 4.4 now been testing a load of games and I dont see it go over 45c really (BF4, Crysis 3, AC3, Arma 3) and all these titles are running much better! Its crazy how that works, I wasnt able to play AC3 before because the dippage in FPS was killing me! The sound of me de-lidding my brand new cpu is scarey man 🙂 I have butter fingers and im accident prone, I would most likely kill my CPU.

Now all I need to do is finish (Start) saving up for my 780 ti... Ive pretty much come to the end with AMD 😄
Although mantle does sound awesome, especially since its going to be used in star citizen, might just wait to see how much difference it makes in BF4 before I decide what to get (290x non reference or 780 ti.)

LiveOrDie
Level 11
I run GTX 780 TI and it cant max BF4 on 1080p ill be getting a GTX 880 when they come out next year for sure haha, If your temps don't go over 45c then you have room to push for a higher OC, my BF4 temps after hours of game play max out around 60c, I don't use prime for stress testing i use AIDA64 on a FPU test or Intel Burn Test V2 if you CPU keeps under 80c when completing the burn test your safe to leave your OC as it is.

Never stress your CPU on an adaptive voltage setting as on very high load it can spike.

LiveOrDie wrote:
I run GTX 780 TI and it cant max BF4 on 1080p ill be getting a GTX 880 when they come out next year for sure haha, If your temps don't go over 45c then you have room to push for a higher OC, my BF4 temps after hours of game play max out around 60c, I don't use prime for stress testing i use AIDA64 on a FPU test or Intel Burn Test V2 if you CPU keeps under 80c when completing the burn test your safe to leave your OC as it is.

Never stress your CPU on an adaptive voltage setting as on very high load it can spike.

BF4 is optimized for AMD CPU's and GPU's, believe it or not I had much better frames before I switched. I get around 60-80 now and before it was almost allways in the 90's. But with Intel im seeing much better frames across the board (Non frostbite games)