cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4770K, Maximus VI Hero, a gentleman's overclock

savage1987
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm looking for the setting that stops this CPU from idling down to a lower multiplier.

4770K (not delidded just yet)
Swiftech H320
Maximus VI Hero
4x8GB G.Skill 2400 10-12-12-31 1.65V
GTX Titan
Corsair AX860

>More info here<

I'm stable at 4.4GHz with RAM at 2400MHz, and I have a stable 4.5 with 1600MHz RAM, but I want to push it a bit further.

The only real problem I have is that at these clocks the CPU is idling at full speed, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Perhaps I need to approach it differently. Currently I have trusted RoG's auto profiles quite heavily. The 4.4 was straight from the BIOS preset, untouched, and the 4.5 was the 4.6 preset bumped down by one due to Prime failing @ 30min.

I have tried setting everything on "optimised defaults" with RAM XMP, then bumping the multiplier up to 40 without changing anything else, and this alone kills the system's idle.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks,
Sam
CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: 12GB Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics Card: MSI HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr II
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold
Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + Zalman ZM-MFC1 Combo Fan Controller
Monitor: LG Flatron W2253TQ
38 REPLIES 38

Unfortunately, not only will 4.7GHz not play the game, I tested a previously 'stable' OC (4.6, 2400RAM) on a different stress test (AIDA64) and it hung the system up after an hour or so. This was a configuration that could pass hours on end of Prime95 blend. I'll play with the IMC-related voltages etc and hopefully smooth things out a little bit.
CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: 12GB Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics Card: MSI HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr II
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold
Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + Zalman ZM-MFC1 Combo Fan Controller
Monitor: LG Flatron W2253TQ

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that your offset should be 0.020 not as you have written it.

RAM- just use the XMP profile as your mode of OC
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:

RAM - just use the XMP profile as your mode of OC

Surely 0.020 would do nothing?
XMP only has a profile for 1866 and 1333 and i cant O/C anything with it enabled...

HiVizMan wrote:

Ram - just use the XMP profile as your mode of OC

Just tried to boot with '0.020' and blue screened straight away... 🙂 Im happy with what ive got now actualy and found the place where to set my RAM up properly. Thanks tho... I think.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you are happy then so be it. 0.200 is a huge amount of voltage but it is your CPU.

I always start on 0.020 for offset and then work my way up. Download CPUz and then load your CPU and see what your voltage is under load.

Sorry about the typo RMA was meant to be RAM of course. And yes you can OC everything with XMP profile set that is how the bios is set up. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
If you are happy then so be it. 0.200 is a huge amount of voltage but it is your CPU.

I always start on 0.020 for offset and then work my way up. Download CPUz and then load your CPU and see what your voltage is under load.

Sorry about the typo RMA was meant to be RAM of course. And yes you can OC everything with XMP profile set that is how the bios is set up. 🙂

Sorry, I actually have it on +0.100. Its working fine and I have the RAM set to 1866 Mhz without XMP.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Perfect then, enjoy your system mate and stop by and visit again yeah.

HiVizMan wrote:
Perfect then, enjoy your system mate and stop by and visit again yeah.

Thanks muchly! Im going to do some more stress tests, will be back soon.

So I have the offset at 0.060 now for a 4.5 Ghz clock, intel burn test pushes it straight to 85-90c, didnt go over 90 after 10 high tests tho, prime95 ran for about 30 mins and got to max 90c too. DO you guys think this is too high a temp for 4.5 Ghz?

Edit: My system hung on a second test of prime95 so im going to tone it down a tad.

Bradaz85
Level 7
So I have the offset at 0.060 now for a 4.5 Ghz clock, intel burn test pushes it straight to 85-90c, didnt go over 90 after 10 high tests tho, prime95 ran for about 30 mins and got to max 90c too. DO you guys think this is too high a temp for 4.5 Ghz?