cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4770K, Maximus VI Hero, a gentleman's overclock

savage1987
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm looking for the setting that stops this CPU from idling down to a lower multiplier.

4770K (not delidded just yet)
Swiftech H320
Maximus VI Hero
4x8GB G.Skill 2400 10-12-12-31 1.65V
GTX Titan
Corsair AX860

>More info here<

I'm stable at 4.4GHz with RAM at 2400MHz, and I have a stable 4.5 with 1600MHz RAM, but I want to push it a bit further.

The only real problem I have is that at these clocks the CPU is idling at full speed, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Perhaps I need to approach it differently. Currently I have trusted RoG's auto profiles quite heavily. The 4.4 was straight from the BIOS preset, untouched, and the 4.5 was the 4.6 preset bumped down by one due to Prime failing @ 30min.

I have tried setting everything on "optimised defaults" with RAM XMP, then bumping the multiplier up to 40 without changing anything else, and this alone kills the system's idle.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks,
Sam
CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: 12GB Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics Card: MSI HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr II
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold
Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + Zalman ZM-MFC1 Combo Fan Controller
Monitor: LG Flatron W2253TQ
38 REPLIES 38

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries mate all good I just want your system to do what you need and want it to do every time all the time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

savage1987
Level 7
Well that makes two of us. I'm already at a really nice point with the 4.6GHz / 2400MHz I have now, but at 1.36Vcore I feel it can be optimised a little and I want to make sure I have exhausted all options for pushing the clock speed higher safely.

The reason for leaning on the CPU in this one is actually real-world legitimate, because it's primarily a FSX build and that's an application that relies heavily on CPU speed to maintain smoothness in some areas of the maps. In short, the higher I can get it, the better the results the buyer sees in-game, according to everything I've read on it.
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB

savage1987
Level 7
I changed a couple of settings and dropped 10deg in Prime95 Blend somehow. Here's pretty much all I changed:

AI OC Tuner = manual
BCLK = 100
ASUS Multicore Enhancement = Disabled
All cores linked at 45x
CPU cache ratio min = auto
CPU cache ratio max = 42

Digi+
VCore PMW or whatever it's called = Extreme
CPU over-current protection 140%

Voltages Manual
VCore 1.3
CPU Spread spectrum = Disabled

Monitor section
Anti-surge support = disabled

I also have it idling down properly, the power plan had somehow reset itself to high performance so I put it back on balanced.

savage1987 wrote:
I changed a couple of settings and dropped 10deg in Prime95 Blend somehow. Here's pretty much all I changed:

AI OC Tuner = manual
BCLK = 100
ASUS Multicore Enhancement = Disabled
All cores linked at 45x
CPU cache ratio min = auto
CPU cache ratio max = 42

Digi+
VCore PMW or whatever it's called = Extreme
CPU over-current protection 140%

Voltages Manual
VCore 1.3
CPU Spread spectrum = Disabled

Monitor section
Anti-surge support = disabled

I also have it idling down properly, the power plan had somehow reset itself to high performance so I put it back on balanced.

Hi there, I just got my 4770k and Hero VI yesterday, came from an AMD 8350 and crosshair formula V. I had no idea about overclocking on Intel boards (I have some knowledge on AMD side) so I used these settings here as it seemed you sort of knew what you were doing, they seem fine for me, allthough I do have the voltage setup for a +0.200 offset rather than the the fixed voltage, I have my PC on all day. I just wanted to get some help with y RAM. Yesterday when I set it all up I used the XMP profile for the 1866 Mhz for my 16GB Hyper X 1866 Mhz RAM, but with these settings of yours the RAM is clocked at 1333 Mhz, Would you please be able to tell me how to manualy set my RAM at 1866 Mhz (their native speed.)

Many thanks.

savage1987
Level 7
found this little sneaky line in Prime, might explain the temp drops.

I wonder where I went wrong. Need this fixed before continuing the push. Unless it's been there the whole time and I haven't noticed....

savage1987
Level 7
I can't get past 4.6 this way, and at 4.6 getting the RAM to 2400MHz is no longer straightforward... Are there any more settings I should be playing around with? Also what's the general consensus on Vcore limits in a nice 360mm water loop? Safe to push past 1.35? I'd love to be able to pull some more out of this setup.. Should I post up my BIOS settings (is there an easy way to go about this)?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I use 1.4 as my max on Vcore for a quality water cooling system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

savage1987
Level 7
Just absorbed a lot of info from this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide which someone over on oc.n put me onto.

I have stress tests running at 4.7GHz as I type this.. 1.392Vcore. I am seeing what I am almost positive is power related throttling of the CPU, it flickers down to a 45x multi every few seconds just for an instant. Going to have a hunt in BIOS and see if I can work out why that's happening.

I'd be glad to hear if you have any ideas on limits I need to raise/disable, etc.

HiVizMan
Level 40
What kind of temps do you have at those settings under load?

savage1987
Level 7
Prime95 blend starts off about 60degC for the first 10-15min, then ramps up to 70ish with periods up at 82, which is the highest I've seen so far.

Using Speccy to report.

That last run gave me a 101 BSOD so it's at 1.408 Vcore now mind you.