cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4770K, Maximus VI Hero, a gentleman's overclock

savage1987
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm looking for the setting that stops this CPU from idling down to a lower multiplier.

4770K (not delidded just yet)
Swiftech H320
Maximus VI Hero
4x8GB G.Skill 2400 10-12-12-31 1.65V
GTX Titan
Corsair AX860

>More info here<

I'm stable at 4.4GHz with RAM at 2400MHz, and I have a stable 4.5 with 1600MHz RAM, but I want to push it a bit further.

The only real problem I have is that at these clocks the CPU is idling at full speed, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Perhaps I need to approach it differently. Currently I have trusted RoG's auto profiles quite heavily. The 4.4 was straight from the BIOS preset, untouched, and the 4.5 was the 4.6 preset bumped down by one due to Prime failing @ 30min.

I have tried setting everything on "optimised defaults" with RAM XMP, then bumping the multiplier up to 40 without changing anything else, and this alone kills the system's idle.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks,
Sam
CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: 12GB Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics Card: MSI HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr II
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold
Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + Zalman ZM-MFC1 Combo Fan Controller
Monitor: LG Flatron W2253TQ
38 REPLIES 38

HiVizMan
Level 40
Two things to do.

In bios ensure that speed step is enabled

In OS ensure that you select default power plan.

Clocking manually in BIOS is way better in my view and certainly your CPU seems a reasonably good one so should not be to difficult.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

savage1987
Level 7
Also I don't know why CPU-Z reports wrong, it shows Vcore in the area of 1.7-1.8V @ 4.5GHz which is obviously reporting the socket voltage, not the actual internally distributed core voltage. Is that just a Hero board thing?
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is not the vCore it is the VCINN your version of CPUz is out of date.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

savage1987
Level 7
It's v1.66.1, I can't find a newer version anywhere. Perhaps I need an older version to display it correctly.... ?

HiVizMan
Level 40
It is still VCINN and not your Vcore regardless so nothing to worry about.

savage1987
Level 7
OK I have 4.6GHz with 2400MHz RAM stable in Prime95 but the voltage is climbing a little high.. 1.35V or so Vcore according to HWMonitor. Time to pursue a different method.

I'd love to get 4.7 or 4.8 out of this, so I'm hunting through the BIOS and I'm going to say it's a little confusing. My CH IV F's BIOS was a lot simpler to use than this 😕

I'm honestly not even sure which voltages I should be manually setting, and I still can't get it to idle down properly.

With Haswell you only need to play with the Vcore, the multiplier and your memory.

In Digi+ have you set your LLC manually?

HiVizMan wrote:
With Haswell you only need to play with the Vcore, the multiplier and your memory.

In Digi+ have you set your LLC manually?

I haven't. What's the sweet spot for higher OCs? I thought I read somewhere in RoG's documentation it was fine to leave this on auto.

I am now testing to see where I can get to with 1.3 Vcore set in BIOS, manual mode. 4.6 failed so far. I'm going to have a play around, I think there are a few other settings that come into play at 4.6 and above, from reading through the RoG settings guide for the Maximus VI boards.

edit:
also, in Prime Blend, at 1.3V and 45x, 1600RAM and everything else at optimised defaults, I'm seeing the multi dropping to 43 every so often, just for a fraction of a second. Temps aren't the issue. I'm betting there's a setting I've missed somewhere, probably a safety/power/overvolt monitoring thing....

savage1987
Level 7
I will have a look tomorrow, thanks for that.

Also you were right about the CPU-Z version, turns out there is a 1.67 floating around and it fixed my issue.