4-way SLI~GTX 980 Overclocking

Char82
Level 7
Help overclock my 4 GTX 980's? :cool:
79 REPLIES 79

Nate152
Hey Char82

Overclocking your 980's is easy.

Open up precision x 16 I had you download, by default the gpu's should be linked so overclocking 1 will overclock all 4 at the same time.

The power target and gpu temp target should be linked as well, slide it to the right until the gpu temp target says 85c, that's a safe temp for your gpu's.

Then slide the gpu clock offset up to +100MHz and slide the mem clock offset up to +200MHz and click apply.

Open up grand theft auto v and play for a minute, alt+tab out of the game and slide the gpu clock offset up+10MHz and click apply, alt+enter to go back to the game and play for another minute. Keep doing this until the driver crashes then back it down 10-20MHz.

Now you can start with the mem clock offset. Do the same thing alt+tab out of the game and slide the mem clock offset up +10 MHz and click apply, alt+enter to return to the game and play for a minute. If all is well keep doing this until you start to get artifacting or the driver crashes then back it off 10 - 20MHz.

Don't forget to click apply every time after you raise them.

Good Luck and let me know what you end up with.

Nate152 wrote:
Hey Char82

Overclocking your 980's is easy.

Open up precision x 16 I had you download, by default the gpu's should be linked so overclocking 1 will overclock all 4 at the same time.

The power target and gpu temp target should be linked as well, slide it to the right until the gpu temp target says 85c, that's a safe temp for your gpu's.

Then slide the gpu clock offset up to +100MHz and slide the mem clock offset up to +200MHz and click apply.

Open up grand theft auto v and play for a minute, alt+tab out of the game and slide the gpu clock offset up+10MHz and click apply, alt+enter to go back to the game and play for another minute. Keep doing this until the driver crashes then back it down 10-20MHz.

Now you can start with the mem clock offset. Do the same thing alt+tab out of the game and slide the mem clock offset up +10 MHz and click apply, alt+enter to return to the game and play for a minute. If all is well keep doing this until you start to get artifacting or the driver crashes then back it off 10 - 20MHz.

Don't forget to click apply every time after you raise them.

Good Luck and let me know what you end up with.

Here is my results... Should I be able to do better or is this normal?

Power:112%
GPU TEMP: 85*C
GPU CLOCK: +180MHz
MEM CLOCK: +250MHz

Nate152
I don't have the matrix 980 so I really don't know where you will end up with your overclock but the gpu clock looks good. What happens if you take the mem clock higher?

Nate152 wrote:
I don't have the matrix 980 so I really don't know where you will end up with your overclock but the gpu clock looks good. What happens if you take the mem clock higher?

I start getting a bit of artifacting.

Nate152
Well all right then, that's as far as you can go.

Now if you want, precision x has onscreen display where you can monitor all kinds of information about your gpu's while your're playing games.

Would you want to try it?

Char82
Level 7
Definitely!

Nate152
All right I thought you might.

I will have you display what I have display but you can add more if you want.

First at the bottom left under TEST make sure OSD GRAPH and START UP are selected with a white dot beside them.

Then where it says precision x 16 click the yellow arrow pointing to the right twice, you should see SETTINGS.

Click MONITORING, then click monitoring data settings, this will bring up a little page.

At the top of the little page it says Monitoring data settings, Show in monitor and Show in OSD these are the only ones we are concerned with.

Get this far and we will continue, I don't want to make it sound too confusing for you.

Char82
Level 7
I'm that far now, but update on results. Added a bit more power do to the STRIX card being able to run hotter than most.

UPDATED STATS:
POWER: 125%
GPU TEMP: 79*C
GPU CLOCK: +221
MEM CLOCK: +450

I guess more power helped eliminate the artifacts. I'm also running fans at 100%. Max Temps on GPU's after 10 mins of play are as follows:

GPU 1: 59*C
GPU 2: 64*C
GPU 3: 68*C
GPU 4: 66*C

But please continue w/ OSD. I follow you very clearly. I won't get confused.

Thanks.

Nate152
That's great temps for your 980's in 4 way sli and that is looking like a nice hefty overclock on them too.

All right back to the on screen display

At the top of the little page under Monitoring data settings it says power with a white triangle beside it, Click the little white triangle and a list comes up, these are all the things you can have show in the on screen display.

Select GPU Clock, then under show in monitor and show in OSD click gpu1 gpu 2 gpu 3 gpu 4 and make sure they are lit up yellow

Memory clock - do the same thing show in monitor and show in OSD gpu 1 gpu 2 gpu 3 gpu 4 light them up yellow

GPU Temperature - same thing light up all gpu's

GPU Usage - light up all 4 gpu's

Memory usage - light up all 4 gpu's

GPU voltage - light up all 4 gpu's

Framerate - Here you just light up SYSTEM all the way to the right

Make sure you light up all 4 gpu's Show in monitor and Show in OSD for all the rest.

Then start up your game and see if it's showing information.