cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

240mm Radiator vs 280mm Radiator

KMandalore
Level 7
I'm curious about the Pros and Cons of the 2 Radiators as I currently have neither and am preparing to buy one of those two.
What are the draw back in performance and air pressure it's difficult to find solid information on the two as most of what I find
pertains to Closed loop systems in particular.

My Rig is as follows

Intel 4770k @4.0oc / 4.2oc / 4.4 oc. One touch oc all stable
16gb 8x2 1866 Mhz Corsair Dominator Pro
2x Gtx 780 Poseidon Platinum in Sli
250 Gb Samsung SSD
1tb Cavier Black WD
Rog Front Plate
LG Blue Ray Re/Writeable blah blah blah
Cooler maser Hyper Evo 212 after market cpu cooler.
850w Thermaltyke Smart Series
19 REPLIES 19

Deon017
Level 8
how you use the fans and very important the pump pressure - I use Phobya and I would use EK - They are copper radiators -
If you are only using fans on one side , then they should push air through the radiator - I do not believe that the difference in size will make any significant difference. It does make a difference when using 2 or 3 fans on radiators length wise. If you are looking at OC then I would recommend using fans on both sides of the radiator. I run mine at 4.2GHz and my temps are between 40 - 50 degrees with ambient temp around 25 degrees. My GPU under load runs between 35 and 45 degrees - No OC.

Antronman
Level 10
No, it isn't.

I answered your question.

240mm performs 3-5 degrees worse than 280mm, as shown by the H100i and H110. It doesn't matter if it is an AIO radiator, the only difference in these coolers physically is radiator size and fan size.

Buy 280mm radiators and those nice Bitfenix fans and call it a day.

Deon017 wrote:
how you use the fans and very important the pump pressure - I use Phobya and I would use EK - They are copper radiators -
If you are only using fans on one side , then they should push air through the radiator - I do not believe that the difference in size will make any significant difference. It does make a difference when using 2 or 3 fans on radiators length wise. If you are looking at OC then I would recommend using fans on both sides of the radiator. I run mine at 4.2GHz and my temps are between 40 - 50 degrees with ambient temp around 25 degrees. My GPU under load runs between 35 and 45 degrees - No OC.

XSPC, Alphacool and a number of other reputable cooling component manufacturers use copper in their radiators as well.

I would use an EKWB CPU block, or Aquacomputer, as if I remember correctly they have very, very big and thick CPU water blocks. GPU block is your choice.

The more components on water, the bigger the reservoir you need. Use Koolance or Mayhem's coolant.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Deon017
Level 8
Antronman - I never said that their would be no difference - I said no significant difference - putting fans on both sides of the radiator does make a difference - and for the radiators I said that's what I would use - I do agree that EK has great water blocks and I use Koolance pumps and coolant. This is allot of personal choice and to achieve the look you want - and I use corsair fans -

Antronman
Level 10
I'd like a source.

Because every long-time, regular RoG member I met over the last year and a few months has always said Push/Pull makes no difference, and every source I've checked shows a 1 degree difference. If you compare H110 and H100i reviews, you notice a 3-5 degree difference in favor of the H110. 280mm radiators clearly have a noticeable edge on 240mm radiators.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
I'd like a source.

MY MAN ahhaha

Deon017
Level 8
firstly please stop comparing what a closed loop does compared to an open loop - they are worlds apart. on my system push and pull made a 6 degree difference and I did it with help from the guys at performance pc's - this was 2 years ago - just the amount of fluid in a open loop makes a degree or 2 difference - the length of it - ambient temp and yes the size of your radiator also makes a difference - planning a loop is also important - you have your opinion and I will have mine based on what my system does with 2 open loops - one with pull and push and one with just push - do you have an open system or ever had one? If you have do it and you will see - if you only use fans to pull it will go up in temp with about 10 - 13 degrees - the fans can only cool the radiator to what the ambient temp is really - so the quicker you get the heat of the radiator the better - well that's what my experience is on two Phobya G-Changer 480 V2 Full Copper radiators using 4 fans or 8 fans - and YES I do agree what you are saying about the 280 mm - just don't think its the biggest factor on a open loop

I plan to cool 2GPU's and 1 cpu and the MOBO since i have that option Should I use 2 Radiators for that do to space and Looks i have decieded to go
with XSPC AX240 Radiator. I don't know if i will need one or 2 though from what i've read i'll need 2.

KMandalore
Level 7
I have a push pull air cooling system now... I see no difference after I installed a second fan. I'm using the Hyper 212 CM comes with one fan stock the difference was not noticeable if there was any at all.

Deon017
Level 8
I believe you will need 2 radiators - plan your loop well before just buying stuff - what I have seen on 1 loop is that it is normally from the pump to theMOBO - CPU - radiator - GPU - radiator and back to the reservoir. Plan it and draw it out -

Last Question and it's kinda Lame how do I make it so that when someone replies to a thread it automatically notifies me.