cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10900k real world temperatures, what is too high/expected? (70-87c)

markm75
Level 7
I have the 10900k overclocked on all core to 51x, 47cache, ring at 47, volts 1.305 and vccio and sa at 1.25 with dram at 1.48 (samsung b-die 32gb 16x2 gskill 4000 mhz set cas17). LLC on 4, TVB is on, eist disabled, speed shift disabled

I have the thermaltake 360 cooler which on my 8700k at 5ghz did well, i'd say 78c max on most things. My fans are on the top of the case for the radiator and on the front i have 2 or 3 120's i think blowing air out though i'd need to confirm that, along with a push out on the 1080ti hybrid at the rear (thermaltake v51 case).

Now with the 10900k, prime95 blend is hitting 90c (no avx), medium occt hits 84c, real world windows 70-80c max, gaming 83c, and rendering in my one app that i think uses avx it hit 87c, this is with ambient fairly normal or slightly below room temp even. Idle im 30s to 40.

Any thoughts on what is "safe" for 24/7 here with the new chip? I was thinking maybe if i up the vccio/sa (though i thought about 1.25 wasnt good 24/7) then maybe i could lower the vcore from 1.305. If i lower vcore anymore, i fail stress testing pretty quickly.

I see others with similar radiators/aio's and this chip but they seem to have lower temps and even lower vcores in some cases. I suppose maybe i did a bad job putting the cooler back on, i used pea sized arctic silver 3 and applied the cooler.

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

BigJohnny
Level 13
There is a substantial difference between an 8700K and 10900K as in 4 more cores for starters. More core=more heat. *The thermal take may look cool if you are into RGB but there are better performers in the AIO market. While I’m no fan of AIO I’m really opposed when used with a known hot chip. Both the 9900K and 10900K are some hot buggers. To get the cooling in check for best results it’s going to take a custom loop. I tried a 280 AIO on a 7900X which Isn’t that far off the mark with 10 cores on a smaller die and it just couldn’t take it. Forget P95 and OCCT and use something more real to life. Blender will push it and realbench uses actual workloads. P95=how to turn PC into space heater. I’ve run it for 24 hours straight completely stable although hot as hades then it failed cinebench R15 and R20. The 10900k and 9900k are tough to tame on cooling. Personally I don’t like seeing numbers above 80C, maybe 85 C ona serious workload but past that is out of my comfort zone. Some folks will run it to just below Throttling (over 100C) and not give it a second thought.*

My recommendation would be to work tour way past AIO and venture into a custom loop. I hear a lot saying they aren’t any better but anyone on here that is serious into competitive over clocking will tell you different. You need a decent rad with plenty of surface area, a pump that will move fluid well, a good block and some decent high static pressure fans. Don’t know what case you have but a 360 GTR rad, HK IV block, decent D5 pump and high static pressure fans will show you a very noticeable performance gain in cooling.*

Even the TIM you use can make a difference as well as mounting pressure. *

markm75
Level 7
I have also tested real bench. I'm at around 87c with the side cover on after about 4 minutes

I guess if I don't worry about 87 for render jobs then I'd be ok

My case is the thermaltake v51. I have the radiator up top.

I was considering other aio units but was unsure which might be a step up. Closed loop system last resort.

I ordered a delid kit and was going to see if it helps.

markm75
Level 7
I spotted the rocketcool delid kit with direct die option, looks fairly simple to achieve and i'm going to give this a go once it gets here, should drop things 10-12c hopefully. First however, i'm testing another AIO soon (last ditch, coolmaster 360) to see if it works better than my 3 year old one (thermaltake).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJ9iwJ3YG4

markm75
Level 7
So i'm still unsure how i managed stability at 1.29 previously, but now that i relied on auto volts i've found real stability:

Auto volts in bios on all, LLC auto, xmp and 4000 for memory and auto volts there too. 51x and auto ring (if i set ring to 47 windows wouldnt boot even on auto volts)This results in an idle of around 1.301 initially in windows. Under extreme load this is 1.315 (sa 1.321 and cio 1.242).

Realbench initially hits 81C by 3min 89C, by the end 94C (too hot), this is with the case side off too. Now if i blast the ac window unit i can get it down to around 90C.I was "realbench stable" all night, about 6 hours worth. I consider this ok now.I rebooted into normal windows (I use an isolated test windows for stress tests) and tested a few activities, ambient is slightly cool right now though.Xplane 11 sim i only hit about 78C (probably 82 when room is warmer). Fs2020 only 65C. A quick 4k video render, about 75C. AAn (avx) integration hits 85C in the somewhat cool morning ambient (so guessing about 84C normally). I dont know many other workloads to test, but given this it might be more than fine for what i do.

Cinebench : 6506 (default clocks 6350 at 49x)

Passmark cpumark: 27868 (default clocks 27031 at 49x), no change in fs2020 or xp11 fps regardless here, my integration time did go from 12 min to 9 minutes though (avx).

I guess Ill be leaving cio/sa at auto, seems ok. I will probably move the cpu to fixed 1.315 (the most under load) and actually try to figure out adaptive/offset, guessing i set adaptive to 1.301 and +.014 offset. Tho the cpu mode is set to "auto" not override or adaptive right now, i believe it just still down volt under no load regardless.

Hey,

In standard bios config, without OC, only with XMP enable my 10900k go to 4900 bost on all cores.
In short test (for example one run of cinebench) it warms up to 70'C - 75'C. It does not start to throttle .
But in longer cycles, + 60sec cinebench, blender test, temperatures go above 80'C for moment and in go down to stable 4400. When on 4400 average temp is around 67'C.

My spec:
Corsair Obsidian Series 500D SE RGB
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB PRO
Corsair H115i RGB Platinum RGB 2x140mm
Core i9 10900k
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero Wi-F

At the moment I'm not sure if it should overclock the processor at all.
Is this normal, maybe I installed the cooler incorrectly?
I will be grateful for Your help.

jbuzial wrote:
Hey,

In standard bios config, without OC, only with XMP enable my 10900k go to 4900 bost on all cores.
In short test (for example one run of cinebench) it warms up to 70'C - 75'C. It does not start to throttle .
But in longer cycles, + 60sec cinebench, blender test, temperatures go above 80'C for moment and in go down to stable 4400. When on 4400 average temp is around 67'C.

My spec:
Corsair Obsidian Series 500D SE RGB
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB PRO
Corsair H115i RGB Platinum RGB 2x140mm
Core i9 10900k
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero Wi-F

At the moment I'm not sure if it should overclock the processor at all.
Is this normal, maybe I installed the cooler incorrectly?
I will be grateful for Your help.

honestly at stock without OC those temps sound pretty much like mine behaved.

I settled for now for the 5.0 at 1.285 (1.277 under load) and ill hit maybe 85C tops typically 83C on avx type renders. Aside from that generally i'm at 80C or less, ususally no higher than 73C for most workloads (at ambient of 25C but with triple fan thermaltake cooler). Avx loads run at 5ghz as well, left ring on auto. (43x)