cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z87-A - Overclocking Failure - Access Violation at Address 00451314 - in AI Suite3

-Jim-
Level 8
Gents,

Here's my first post here so please be gentle. I purposely bought a Z87-A as soon as NCIX got them here (June 23rd) based mostly on good prior experiences with Asus well featured MBs and a few Asus You Tube Videos. I went for the "A" as I was trying to buy one to fit what I wanted it to do, and not overspend (like I always do) on features I never use. One of the reasons I went for this version was according to what I saw on the web, Ai Suite III was the same on all versions, as was the ability to overclock.

The salesmen @ NCIX advised the differences between versions of the Z87 family were extra hardware (like more Sata ports, Dual LANs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.) as you move up the food chain, and I had exactly what I wanted with the "A" board for my purposes.

After purchase I found out Ai Suite III is not the same on this board but similar. (I still can't find a manual anywhere for Ai Suite III.) If I do an Extreme O/C I get an error "Access Violation at Address 00451314 in Module 'AISUITE3.EXE' write of address 000003A8"

(If I do the Ratio Only non-extreme O/C it works fine and gets the Rig to 4.3 GHz no problem => even when I had the stock Intel Fan & Heat Sink installed.)

At first I tried to uninstall Ai Suite III / re-install. No Joy. Then I scrubbed the Registry (Registry Cleaner) after un-install. Then I gave up and re-installed the OS Partition (from a Ghost Image I made of the OS - Windows 7 Pro with all current drivers and updates.) And I tried again. No Joy. Then I re-imaged again when I found a new version of Ai Suite III on July 19th on the Asus Driver page for this Board. Still no Joy. :mad: Then I found the Cleaner and tried it and re-installed - No Joy. After all that, now I'm getting a bit miffed.

I have manually adjusted (just tweaked the multiplier for CPU clock speed and Fan Xpert) and got to 4.6 GHz with decent temperatures (with the Water Cooler) so I know there's more performance to be had here.

I see a similar issue posted on a Z87-Pro (with a different address for the violation) and a reference to a new version of Ai Suite III. But the poster still had no joy and it talking about returning his MB as defective. Do I have to RMA this one too?

Any assistance will be appreciated. My basic specs are below.

Regards,

Jim:cool:

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
CPU: Intel Haswell 4770K
Cooler Master Seidon 240M
Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B
128 Gig 6 Gb/s Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme
1 TB Seagate 64 MB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Bitfenix Ghost Case
PSU: Corsair TX750
Optical: LG Blue Ray & Samsung DVD
Video: Gigabyte GTX 560
45 REPLIES 45

-Jim-
Level 8
HiVizMan,

Thanks for the tip but my Z87-A with AI Suite 3 doesn't have that screen. I wish I hadn't forgot.

Dam it gets me mad :mad: there's no instruction manual for AI Suite 3. Any idea why they make their Customers have to guess where settings can be made?? :cool:

HiVizMan
Level 40
What version of AISuite are you using post up here and I will download and then post the screen for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

-Jim-
Level 8
HiVisMan,

I've installed the original off the Asus DVD => AI Suite3 version 1.00.50 (at least that's the File name.)

Thanks for the assist.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah can you please try the latest version, look either at your motherboard support page or post back here and I will google it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

-Jim-
Level 8
HiVisMan,

As Sebastain pointed out in post #7, (thanks again!) going to the latest version is what causes AI Suite 3 to fail when using it for overclocking => which was the issue that caused me to start this thread. So installing that version again is just going to have me go around in circles.

It is also strange that Asus doesn't post the version off the DVD I have => 1.00.50 => but rather only the "newest version" 1.00.51; and what I assume was the "release version" => 1.00.44 (For past boards I used to see all revs for drivers, utilities, software, etc. Maybe Asus is cutting back...)

Here's the link to 1.00.44 if you care to try it in case it's like 1.00.50.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z87-A&p=1&s=45

FYI - I'm running Win7 64 if that makes any difference I don't know.

Thanks for the assist.

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate, I will download the version you have linked too.

Think that AIsutie3 and you are not going to be life long friends. 🙂

HiVizMan wrote:
All good mate, I will download the version you have linked too.

Think that AIsutie3 and you are not going to be life long friends. 🙂

HiVisMan,

Have you tried the old version and figured out how to rename the Fans yet?

-Jim-
Level 8
HiVisMan,

I await your input. I'm actually a real fan of Asus and have been recommending / purchasing many of their MBs over the last decade or so as I do IT for Family and Friends as a hobby. I seem to build at least 3 or 4 Rigs a year. One of my nephews (2nd year Software Engineering at University) is currently scoping a new Rig and wants my guidance. I'm holding him back on buying a MB (he was looking at MSI Z87-G45) as I'm not yet sold on AI Suite 3. I am leaning towards the Z87-Pro but the WiFi is weak (only N...) so it may come down to the "deal".

The present concept for AI Suite 3 is excellent but it's just poorly executed, at least for the Z87-A (and some other versions - based on posts I've read.)

I'm always annoyed when companies roll out software (or hardware for that matter) that's glitchy and underperforms. To me a deal is a deal. If a vendor say it's gear will fly to the moon, then it dam well better. Now if they want to say it's a Beta, and it may only get to the clouds that's a different story. It's all about Integrity for me. Living up to your promises. I find it especially sad when they've got all these You Tube Videos saying how wonderful Ai Suite 3 is and then don't even supply a manual for their Customer to read. 😞

Asus never even posted the 1.00.54 version of AI Suite III for my board. The Asus site still only shows the 1.00.51 version. Is there somewhere else to look for these updates since Asus apparently does not update their pages accordingly? Will you kindly post a link when it becomes available please?

Jim.... I feel your pain. I'm so disappointed with my Asus board I will never purchase another Asus product again.

Raja
Level 13
AI SUite III should have an update soon to version 1.00.56. At least the WS boards are going to circa Oct 15th. I'd assume the channel boards will follow suit.