cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170-WS high CPU temperature

Tuoni
Level 7
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to the Asus Z170-WS board running BIOS 3002 with a i7700K.
All my other components remained the same from my previous build. Everything works fine except that i find the CPU temperature very high.
Just on desktop the temp is already in the mid to high thirties. After a bit of gaming the temp will go up to high 70 low 80 :eek:

This is all with stock speeds, nothing OC'ed using a Noctua U12S cooler.
I also tried the Noctua D15s with a 3 fan setup and the temp was only 3 degrees lower with that setup, still high seventies.

I find low eighties very high as the exact same chip with the exact same components on a MSI motherboard never got over 62 degrees unless stress testing with synthetic benchmarks.

And yes I reseated the cooler multiple times and by the print of the thermal paste I say it made good contact everytime.

Anyone else noticed higher temps with the Z170-WS then there were expecting and/or used to?
Is this a common issue, perhaps problem with the sensor readout? Personally find it hard to believe there's only a 3 degrees difference between the U12S and D15s, it has been a lot more difference in my other builds.
11 REPLIES 11

haihane
Level 13
may i know your CPUz vcore value during stress test?

and probably a screenshot of Hwinfo after the system has been stress tested a while (30 minutes maybe).
- either intel XTU or prime95 is fine.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Hi,

CPUz vcore= 1.232v

Some screenshots of HWInfo during prime95:

65666 65667 65668

haihane
Level 13
eh,
i'm not familiar with 7700k's upper default vcore values, but that does indeed look pretty worrisome 😕

i suppose you've done regular maintenance (dust filter cleaning), aye?
and the case airflow is all good, right?

if both above have been done, i guess you probably got unlucky on the silicon lottery.
try Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU? video guide below:

he did it on his laptop. i took a step further and did it on all my intel PCs.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Tuoni
Level 7
It's a new build for a client so dust and/or dirt is not an issue, all brand new components.

As i said in my first post i strongly suspect the motherboard to be the issue here in some way. With the EXACT SAME chip, as in the same physical chip placed on another motherboard the temp is 15-20 degrees lower.

So my guess is that either the sensor(s) of the Z170-WS are off or that somehow the Z170-WS feeds the CPU with more juice then it actually needs at regular stock settings. Maybe i will give XTU a look when i have some extra time on my hands.

I find it kinda weird.
I've build hundreds of systems over the years with Gigabyte, MSI and Asus motherboards and this Asus Z170-WS is the first build I ever had that "suffers" from these high temps at just stock configuration, no OC whatsoever.

I built a new system with a 7700k recently and i'm having similar issues, already had one CPU changed by Intel, but still got the same problem...

most tests are ok, and stable, but it creeps up to the mid-high 80s (some times even low 90s) when playing games.....

I know someone who built the same basic system (but a different brand board) same CPU, same cooler, and are getting no more than 80 under load OC'd also..

i'm running stock and seeing ~90 every time I play games...

I'm on a Prime Z270-a

I have a post on here, but also on reddit...
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/6j740m/7700k_odd_heat_issues/

Korth
Level 14
35C~40C idle and 70C~80C peak/turbo temps (at stock clocks) are a little on the high side but still nothing to worry too much about. 30C~35C idle and 55C~75C peak (in a 20C~25C ambient) would be more ideal.

Perhaps temps aren't being accurately reported by the hardware (sensors) or firmware (which is really software) or software (like CPUID). Not much can be done about flawed hardware. Firmware and software might be updated.

You can confirm with your own temp readings. A DMM with a temp probe, a non-contact IR thermometer, even a generic "indoor/outdoor digital thermometer". Not always the greatest accuracy but good enough to measure within a few degrees and confirm hot spots. I've always been of the opinion that external instruments are always more trusty than embedded marketing, lol.

Just curious:

Are you using 32xPCIe3 ("PLX chip") bifurcation? Maybe relentlessly cramming the CPU's (16xPCIe3) lanes with so much data is causing it to run hot?
Maybe try testing with 16xPCIe3 (or less) installed hardware?
Maybe try disabling the PLX entirely in BIOS (if that's an option)?

People sometimes complain about hot PLX chips, and hot PLX chips can create hot VRMs and hot VRMs can create hot CPUs, lol. How do your PLX and VRM temps look?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Im only using 16 lanes, 1x gpu, no ssds or m.3 or anything like..

Korth
Level 14
Do you have any BIOS options to disable the PLX? It seems like a longshot but might be indirectly causing CPU overheat, doesn't hurt to try.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Tuoni
Level 7
This build is running 2 GPU's in SLI and two NVME M.2 drives
You can't disable the PLX chip.