cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z170 Pro gaming suddenly stopped posting when memory is set above 2800 (any bios)

Lexkalin
Level 7
Hi guys.
I'm seeking your help with a weird issue as I think my motherboard is degrading.
I've been using this z170 mobo since I bought it in Oct 2015 and had zero problems until very recently. At first I started to have random "game name".exe has stopped working issue and thought it was my 1080 FTW2, as I changed to it just prior to the issue. However I borrowed a 1080 Strix from my colleague and had the same kind of crashing which eliminated a gpu problem as both cards worked fine in his system. I had a 4.5 @ 1.328 adaptive OC set on 6700k cpu and G.Skill Trident Z 2x8 GB 3200 16-16-16-36 at 1.35 memory kit (on Asus QVL) that I've been running for more than a year without an issue and passing hours of Realbench was not a problem either. But for the sake of identifying an issue I decided to revert to default settings and also revert from latest 3501 bios to 3402 (on which I had no issues, just like almost on any before, except maybe first few revisions back in 2015). And what I found after that was a surprise as I'm not able to run my memory kit with neither stock nor OC cpu with it's rated settings. Anything above 2800 results in no post and cpu_led -> dram_led cycle on motherboard. I actually tried to put another memory kit (G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3000 15-16-16-35 at 1.35 also on Asus QVL) and couldn't run it either and had a hard time to post wit it even at default settings. At the same time both kits worked just fine on my other system with ROG z270i mobo with XMP settings (3200 and 3000). Now it also doesn't matter if I use the latest bios or the last few prior ones - I can't post.

Why all of a sudden after two years of work my mobo stopped working with anything higher than 2800 when it worked just fine with 3000 and 3200 before? Why did i have such a hard time to Is my mobo just dying and I should request RMA? What is the best way to approach it?
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152 wrote:
Let us know the outcome. 🙂

Well, here I am with it! 🙂

Finally had some time today to swap the cpus between presumed faulty z170 and secondary z270 systems. So, lo and behold, g4560 in z170 pro gaming couldn't post with memory set to 3000 and 3200 (tried both kits just for the sake of full testing), while it's 6700k predecessor started up like a charm in rog z270i with memory set to 3200. Which leads me to be 100% sure now, something's going wrong with my mobo. Happy it's not 6700k as it's a more expensive component to replace comparing to my mobo.

Now, what's the best way to contact service and initiate an RMA? Is the case like this even properly covered? I'm afraid there might be something else going on with that mobo, cause sometimes it was reporting "no keyboard found" during boot/reboot lately, leading me to believe it's failing slowly and I don't wanna risk my components waiting for some circuitry fail damaging something else. Will appreciate advice.

Nate152
Call ASUS tech support and tell them the problem, they may have you try a few things then issue you an RMA.

1-812-282-2787

Nate152 wrote:
Call ASUS tech support and tell them the problem, they may have you try a few things then issue you an RMA.

1-812-282-2787

Called, got an RMA number without a problem and any need to do anything, as it seems my story was quite self explanatory.

Thanks for support! Hope RMA will follow through just fine and I'll get a proper replacement.

Just remembered one thing. I still have the box with the serial number, however, I think I peeled off the sn sticker off the pci x16 slot on the motherboard long time ago. Can this cause any issues for me during RMA?

Nate152