cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170 Pro Gaming + Crucial Ballistix Sport = Crash, Burn and BSOD. You too?

loiphin
Level 7
Hi All,

I recently built a new system using a i7-6700, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM (2400MHz), and of course a Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo. (BIOS 1904)

But I have non stop troubles with it since I built it. Mostly just random reboots and crashes.

I am quite certain that the Ballistix Sport DDR4 modules are not compatible with this mobo, despite Crucial saying so on their forum.

If I put in 2 x 8GB DIMM's into the mobo, using XMP or just normal AUTO settings, within a few minutes I have crashes. Then I reboot with memtest86 and find errors reported with the memory.
Then switch off the machine, and back on again, and retest memory and I find no problems.

***WORKAROUND***
So my workaround for now (not ideal!) is to only use one DIMM module ... ie, I only have 8GB of memory. And then its all stable, even while using XMP. Is this because of the single channel mode?

I realise this memory is not on the Asus QVL list, but in the past I have never had problems with Crucial memory.

I have ordered some different memory (which is qualified) as I cant get them both to be stable.

Anyone else seen this behaviour before? I found a few posts complaining of similar problems.

Anyone managed to tweak any mobo settings to get them to behave stable? I dont mind underclocking a bit, as this is not a gaming machine... Its a Hackintosh 🙂

Thanks,

loiphin.
8 REPLIES 8

loiphin
Level 7
UPDATE:

After many hours of testing I finally managed to get a stable system working. It looks like the default settings for the Ballistix Sport memory dont work properly with the Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo.

I now have it stable !!!!

Under Ai Tweaker in the BIOS (version 1904 in my case)
I enabled XMP (I realise this is an overclocking profile, but hey it works!)
Set the CPU VCCIO Voltage up to 0.99v (It was on Auto and running at 0.96v)
Set the CPU System Agent Voltage to 1.1v (It was on Auto and running at 1.064v)

Chino
Level 15
Is that a single memory kit or are you combining two memory kits? Combining kits is never a good idea and can cause the issues that you're experiencing.

It's a single memory kit of 2 x 8GB DIMM's.

Sadly my machine started acting up again after about 12 hours or so. I have had to resort to running only one 8GB DIMM. Thats the only way it *seems* to be stable.

Fedup with this POS setup. I am getting some different memory on Monday and hopefully my problems will go away.

loiphin.

Me too, i'm having these random reboots and i suspect the ram modules cauz they're not listed in the asus z170 pro gaming qvl list but in the Kingston website they confirm the compatibility.

The only difference is that i have this message right after the reboot : Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit! Press f1 to Run SETUP. So i believe it's may be the psu ...

How about you ? what message did the bios show you ?

iam having this issues too, but i am very confused how they occur and what i did to mitigate them.

Sys:
CPU: i7-6700k
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM: 16 GB Crucial DDR2400 (BLS2C8G4D240FSB) AND 16GB Kingston DDR2400 (HX424C15FBK2/16)
GFX: EVGA GTX980ti (also tested with MSI GTX970)
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB

nothing else

i played around with vccio/vccsa, i clocked my ddr2400 ram to 2133mhz, switched gfx from 980ti to 970, i bought new ram (Kingston ddr2400 HX424C15FBK2/16) but they didnt even boot at 2400mhz, only at 2133mhz [stable for 1 Week])
nothing helped, i still get sometimes a freeze while gaming.
iam litterally at the end with my IT vocabulary and dont know how to proceed.

RMA Motherboard?
RMA CPU?
RMA RAMS?
RMA all three of that?

Hey! I was searching on the internet and found this forum. I have the exact same problem.
I7 6700K
Asus z170 pro gaming
32Gb DDR4 Crucial ballistix sport (2x16)
MSI Geforce GTX 1080

My system started to crash everytime I was playing BF4. It freezes, an annoying sound appears, and I must reset it (the hard way).
I was thinking something has to do with my memories, and I tested it with Memtest86+.

Test 1 (2 sticks, A2 and B2) -> The program freezes around 9%... FREEZES... any error was accused.

Test 2 (1 stick, A2) -> It passes without any error.

Test 3 (the other stick, A2) -> It passes.

Test 4 (2 sticks, A1 and B1) -> The program freezes again.

So, I left only one stick and it was "perfect" (I would lose one 16Gb stick...)

Searching again on the internet, I found someone that had problems with 2 sticks on a ASUS motherboard only when the sticks were on A2 and B2, and he said that
it was OK when both sticks were on slots b1 and b2. So, I decided to try that and... surprise! It worked.
I have no crashes for 2 days... playing everything with my 32Gb sticks. I haven't tested it yet with Memtest86+... but if it's working, I'll leave that way.

So, I don't know what is it with the ASUS motherboards... It could be something to do with dual channel. I don't know.

I'll leave it here in single channel, better to have 32gb on single channel than one 16gb stick (it would be single channel, anyway).

Hello guys,

I've been having very similar issues to the ones described in the OP, but actually worse: my PC started with reboots and ended up freezing when it was rendering (I use it for architecture visuals). And when I say freezing, I mean freezing as in display, mouse, keyboard and even sound (if listening to music, it stopped at a certain sound and kept buzzing). The only thing that I could do is power it off, by long pressing the power button(restart button wouldn't work either).

My configuration was:
Mobo: Asus Z170-A
CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage 240 GB SATA-III
Case: Antec P280
CPU cooler: Arctic-Cooling Liquid Freezer 240
PSU: Chieftec APS-750c 750W

After over one year with problems, and after first thinking that my RAM was the fault, I ended up discovering (not me per se, an IT service) that the problem was the PSU, which was subdimensioned aparently...

After changing it with a Corsair RM1000x, my system is finally stable and I managed to go through rendering times of over 12 hours without problems. 😄

Hope it helps!

To save your day, I have brought together some best Head pickleball paddle reviews based on core construction, face material, grip, and size. Hence, don’t waste more time and make an educated decision.