cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word of advice for fellow liquid coolers

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
Almost fried everything. The other day I noticed the cap to my coolant tank was laying on the bar. I hadnt had the computer open in over a month. Propelyne Glycol does EVAPORATE ! there was just a small flow barely moving the flow meter. It was down 400 ML .. Be careful out there !
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
Yep, I heard bubbles in my system a couple of weeks ago and I found that my res was low. Could have been trapped air that worked its way out or there might be a bad seal on the res. Either way I topped it off and all good again. Now I just have to see if it drops again.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Mummy
Level 8
More likely air in radiator or leak in system.Is that Glucol some how different then the Glycol that is in cars? service on those is 2years not months.
I dont use normal coolant so dont know the differens, but i think pcs has less glycol in it then cars, so loosing 400ml of coolant in moths sound a lot.
But yeah its good idea to look water levels sometimes, thats why i have clear tank outside the case.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

xeromist
Premixed coolants contain a lot of water so evaporation should be expected. *But* since these are supposed to be closed loops there should be no place for any of it to go. As you say: trapped air or a leak.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

TechJackass88
Level 7
Now that you guys brought up liquid coolers, in my last life, ie last build I used Cooler Master Aquagate Viva Duo, discontinued product, but it did revealed something to me, some of the centrifical pumps, (99% of all PC cooling solutions has them) wear down nylon washer/bearing and as soon as fins or magnet start to touch surface of the housing it immediately detiriorate magnets sealant and shaves fins down, basically rendering system in to a random delay time bomb, particles of magnets, silicon goop all flows trough pipes and clogs any damn thing on its way. I might be an isolated case, but you hear screeching from your pump and think it's not bubbles, might want to double check, one day damn thing didn't turn on on me at all, and gladly I had big hunks of copper under waterways, that kept two video cards from burning up.
My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2

Edited as to not create waves due to a Dumb ASS that posted a stupid reply talking out of his anal orrifice.
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
Apparently none of you guys payed attention to the original post ... The resevoir cap was inadvretently left off.
The Juice evaporated ! Ive been runing the same system for 4 yrs with a multitude of boards and processors and never had a leak .. All I'm saying is
WATCH your coolant levels and if you negate to cap a sealed system it will evaporate very qickly.

EVIL_CONSERVATIVE wrote:
Apparently none of you guys payed attention to the original post ... The resevoir cap was inadvretently left off.
The Juice evaporated ! Ive been runing the same system for 4 yrs with a multitude of boards and processors and never had a leak .. All I'm saying is
WATCH your coolant levels and if you negate to cap a sealed system it will evaporate very qickly.
Its amazing how the people that have never run certain setups are so quick to add their 2 cents with no personal knowlege of WTF theyre talking about !

Um, I can't speak for Mummy but everything I said was related to my own experience where the cap was in tight or just general commentary that most cases of fluid drops are air or a leak. TJ didn't even comment on fluid levels so I'm not sure why you're upset with all of us.

Mummy
Level 8
Well you are right i havent run my system without cap a month. If you are sure there wasnt an air or leak then i beliveyou and apologise.
But still 400ml of coolant in air on 2 months or so, sounds a lot, to me.

Heres my closed mess with month old plain battery water. Waterlevel is the ~same and pump dont make a different sounds/radels when starts(not bubble of air in system) then on use.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
wasnt refering to either of you guys