cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOL rampage IV Vista

Sakujura
Level 7
Hello,

I've got a Asus rampage IV and i want to WoL it. If i turn it off and i send a request after 5-10 min it got accepted and he will boot, but when i try to send a request after a hour or so it just doesnt seem to reach it. Does someone has a idea?

ISP: Telenet (yes telenet new modem/router all in one)
Forwarded port: 1111 (as port9 cant be used with telenet modem)
windows vista ultimate 64bit
wol enabled in windows
Bios settings:
- fastboot: disabled (this can interfere if its enabled, i've read)
- Wake on PCIE still On
- another setting something of requests from lan: enabled (just above the RTC setting)

Hope this is enough info.

Greets,
Saku
11 REPLIES 11

Melting_Point
Level 10
After an hour, when WoL won't work, can you wake the RIVE manually?
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

What do you mean with wake the RIVE (whats RIVE, sorry kinda new) manually. If i hit the on button it boots, the leds from the nic are working also. Just to be sure i want to boot it from scratch so in windows, shutdown and not sleep or any other state. If im not mistaken its state S5.

greets
Saku

Melting_Point
Level 10
RIVE = Rampage IV Extreme. My apologies, I assumed you were trying to wake from a sleep state.

You don't happen to be using a power line adaptor, or any other sort of network equipment that has a power saving feature? Maybe your modem/router does this? That would explain why it works after a few minutes, but not after an hour.
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
Sakujura wrote:
Hello,

I've got a Asus rampage IV and i want to WoL it. If i turn it off and i send a request after 5-10 min it got accepted and he will boot, but when i try to send a request after a hour or so it just doesnt seem to reach it. Does someone has a idea?

ISP: Telenet (yes telenet new modem/router all in one)
Forwarded port: 1111 (as port9 cant be used with telenet modem)
windows vista ultimate 64bit
wol enabled in windows
Bios settings:
- fastboot: disabled (this can interfere if its enabled, i've read)
- Wake on PCIE still On
- another setting something of requests from lan: enabled (just above the RTC setting)

Hope this is enough info.

Greets,
Saku

Couple of things...
1) What BIOS version do you have on your Rampage IV Extreme motherboard?
2) Please tell us what network driver version you're using.. and the settings for that driver... if you can take a screen shot of the settings..
3) Make sure in the BIOS under "ADVANCED ---> APM" that ErP Ready is set to DISABLED... (ErP enabled turns off the NIC during S5 for more power saving.. and WOL won't work..
4)In the BIOS... go to the Intel (R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection screen.. should be all the way at the end of the menus.. and select NIC CONFIGURATION.. it should have "Wake On LAN" setting.. be sure it's set to ENABLED.
5)Is the network connection plugged in DIRECTLY to the ROUTER? or are you going through a network switch/hub?
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
It could also be your firewall settings in the telenet modem/router... sounds like the ARP table is getting flushed after it detects a flood of packets to that specific port... and after it's flushed it just drops any packets sent to it.. To test.. TEMPORARILY.. disable any firewall features your telenet might have then reboot it.. (or it might reboot itself - I'm not familiar with this brand). Then try WOL again.. after your normal 10 minute fail delay... worth a shot. 🙂
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

its connected to the modem with a cat5E cable 0.75M
the settings you where talking about are correct.

Now i've got confirmation that with my current modem i'm unable to requests WOL. One problem im forced to use the Telenets modem/router....

I'm going to test something but im not sure it will work

telenet -> DMZ -> my Router -> PC
But this setup is blocking my internet speed.....

So a extra NIC would be recommanded that i become this setup if it works

telenet -> DMZ -> router ->PC
telenet-> pc

All of this Failed....

Thanks already for all the help

Saku

Melting_Point
Level 10
Best of luck with that Sakujura.

1) What BIOS version do you have on your Rampage IV Extreme motherboard? 4804
2) Please tell us what network driver version you're using.. and the settings for that driver... if you can take a screen shot of the settings..
Driver version: 12.6.45.0
Power saver options:
-energy efficient ethernet: enabled
-reduce link speed during standy/idle: disabled
Wake on LAN:
-Wake on Magic Packet from power off state: enabled
-Wake on Link Settings: enabled
-Wake on Magic Packet: enabled
-Wake on Directed Packet

3) Make sure in the BIOS under "ADVANCED ---> APM" that ErP Ready is set to DISABLED... (ErP enabled turns off the NIC during S5 for more power saving.. and WOL won't work..: settings has been set like this

4)In the BIOS... go to the Intel (R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection screen.. should be all the way at the end of the menus.. and select NIC CONFIGURATION.. it should have "Wake On LAN" setting.. be sure it's set to ENABLED.: Idont see this feature have been looking but nothing like this

5)Is the network connection plugged in DIRECTLY to the ROUTER? or are you going through a network switch/hub? directly in the modem as DMZ: modem got rebooted also.

Does it matter if i send the wol package to the ipv4 while in the router its connected as ipv6? (just noticed that)

Greets Saku

hello

i had the same problem.

some Modems forget "the network-adress-table" after a hour or so.

so you can not wake your pc over internet after this time.

my solution was to create a WOL website on my NAS.
So i can connect to my NAS that is always running and wake my Computer from there (from NAS).

Works every time.

greetings