cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 64bit drivers?

w00x
Level 7
Hi!

Just wonder if i need to install every driver from http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/extreme/rampage-iv-extreme-battlefield-3/ or are they in Windows 8 already?

Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9

Affinitii
Level 9
I'd suggest only installing drivers if you need to. The RSTe drivers dont play very kindly with some Windows 8 users atm.

Win8 has most generic drivers I think, LAN etc works perfectly fine.

Affinitii wrote:
I'd suggest only installing drivers if you need to. The RSTe drivers dont play very kindly with some Windows 8 users atm.

Win8 has most generic drivers I think, LAN etc works perfectly fine.

This is a VERY BAD advice. I have said repeatedly that 99% of the drivers included with Windows are part of the Microsoft Windows OOBE (Out Of Box Experience). They are not "tailored" to your specific hardware, they are made so that everything works out of the box so that you have a "working" operating system right after you finish the installation (there are a few exceptions to this but even so installing from Windows Repositories/Windows Update is NOT advised). These drivers offer only basic functionality and do not offer any advanced functionality or performance optimizations for your hardware. For example open the default LAN driver options and open the Intel driver options and you'll see that the Intel one has a gazillion more options available.

Always install the latest drivers for your hardware unless the latest has a bug for you. In that case revert back to the latest stable.

The case of Windows 8, is that it is new. Drivers will be unoptimized and have problems. For the following months you will see many releases that fix things. This is normal and to be expected. It comes with being an early adopter.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

SUKARA
Level 10
Yes...thanks Nodes insightful explanation
Of course,you can choose install those driver from asus download site

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=rampage+iv+extreme&p=1&s=42

Thanks for your replies.

What I wonder now what drivers I should install?

For example, under Chipset there are three different?
Version 9.2.3.1025 - 2012/10/22 update
Beta Version 9.3.0.1019 - 2012/07/05 update
Beta Version 8.1.0.1191 - 2012/07/05 update

What I do not understand is how the beta version 9.3.0.1019 may be older than the version 9.2.3.1025?

Nodens
Level 16
Go with 9.2.3.1025. As to the date of the drivers, this has to do with how they are developed. Or to be precise co-developed. As a rough example, one team works on 9.2.x and another on 9.3.x they share parts of the same codetree and usually the higher version number has support for a new chipsets etc. Since they are developed in parallel though the version number tells you nothing about how new the driver is. In this case for example the 9.2 is newer than that beta which means it could have fixes not included in the 9.3. Still for these specific driver sets I do believe they install exactly the same driver for the X79..
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Hopper64
Level 15
But what about Version 9.3.0.1026 that is now under "Utilities" in the download section for windows 8 64 for RIVE? Why is this not in the "Chipset" category? Would this not be the best one to install now? ??? Thanks.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Nodens
Level 16
Check the date. Always choose the latest by date:)

RealBench Developer.

Hopper64
Level 15
It says "2012/12/11 update" for Version 9.3.0.1026. I thought this would be the latest. Correct? Thanks again for your patience.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Nodens
Level 16
Yes it apparently is:)

RealBench Developer.