cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window 8 SSD DEFRAG

UserX
Level 9
Just a heads up.

I have discovered, what I believe to be, a bug in Windows 8 that I felt I should make SSD users aware of. If I go to the “Optimize and defragment drive” and click the Optimize option, Windows will run the TRIM command just fine as long as you have ran the Windows Experience Index at least once. Most people are aware of the above but I have also found, on my system, that Windows 8 “Automatic Maintenance” does not follow the same rules and will defrag and consolidate the SSDs on a schedule.

You can get to the Automatic Maintenance option by:
Control Panel>Action Center>
Click the down arrow on the right under the "Maintenance" heading
From here you can run it and test or turn off the schedule.

I have found this to be true in RAID 0 but have not been able to test with a single SSD.

Note:
I am not sure if the Automatic Maintenance is on by default. It was active on my PC.
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
MEM: 96GB DDR5 6600MHz Corsair Dominator Titanium
MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX4090
STORAGE: 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO RAID0
OS DRIVE: 1X 2TB Samsung 990PRO
SCRATCH DRIVE: 1X 2TB Samsung 980Pro
PSU: 1500W Corsair HX1500i
COOLING: Custom Hardline 3 RAD Loop with 15 Corsair QL and 3X Corsair Commander XTs
WATERBLOCKS: GPU: Alphacool Custom Block | CPU: EK-Quantum Velocity² D-RGB
14 REPLIES 14

Nodens
Level 16
Automatic Maintenance is on by default. Thing is that it should not defragment but optimize instead if the drive is flagged as SSD by winsat (WEI). Are you absolutely sure that it does defragmentation? How did you verify this?
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

UserX
Level 9
I opened the Optimize panel to see if it was trimming and found it to be defragging and consolidating. It was
running several passes.
COOLING: Custom Hardline 3 RAD Loop with 15 Corsair QL and 3X Corsair Commander XTs

tistou77
Level 13
With Windows 8, defrag for SSD, it's a TRIM 😉
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

When I ran the Automatic Maintenance and opened the Optimization window I noticed that it was not Trimming the drive but rather defragging it. If I run the Optimize option it TRIM's as it should.

Running Optimize is fast and runs a TRIM command.

Running Automatic maintenance defragged the drives with several passes and the HDD light was on solid for several minutes

At least this is the case that I ran into with a fresh EFI installation of Windows 8 X64 Pro onto my 2 SSDs in RAID 0. BIOS v3404

Nodens
Level 16
This is rather weird:/ Try this:

Go to C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore
and delete everything inside. Then from an admin command prompt do a "winsat formal" let it finish and check again if it behaves the same way.
Also check if there are any errors in C:\Windows\performance\WinSAT\winsat.log after running "winsat formal".
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
This is rather weird:/ Try this:

Go to C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore
and delete everything inside...

I'm sure what Nodens meant to say was "and move everything in that folder to another folder, just incase you need to put it back later"

😉
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Melting Point wrote:
I'm sure what Nodens meant to say was "and move everything in that folder to another folder, just incase you need to put it back later"

😉

That is exactly what I did, in a folder on my Desktop.

UserX
Level 9
OK, done.
Found 2 Errors:
5900207 (4204) - exe\processwinsaterror.cpp:0146: ERROR: tried to read resource strings, unknown exception occured
6090981 (4204) - exe\processwinsaterror.cpp:0319: Writing exit code, cant msg and why msg to registry

It did not defrag this time it didn't even TRIM. It did analyze the drives. Is there a way to reset the optimize flag as my system says last run 0 days or I can try it again in a couple of days and see what it does.

P.S.
Thank you Nodens for the help.

Nodens
Level 16
Those files in there are the results of WinSAT. You can delete them perfectly fine. It is the same thing as doing a "clear previous results and rerate system" although manually deleting them makes sure they're actually gone so we don't have to troubleshoot if they're gone or not.

Putting them back will make WinSAT think those results are fine (which they 're not apparently :p) and you have somekind of issue because WinSAT is not supposed to give any errors.

Open an admin command prompt, do a "sfc /scannow". Btw those errors sound like you are not running in admin command prompt. Make sure you put the mouse on the bottom left corner of the screen and right click, from that menu choose "Command Prompt (Admin)". Both "sfc /scannow" and "winsat formal" after that should be run from there. When winsat finishes, reboot before you test optimize. (Also reboot before running Winsat formal if sfc told you that it found errors and fixed them).

RealBench Developer.