cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window 8 SSD DEFRAG

UserX
Level 9
Just a heads up.

I have discovered, what I believe to be, a bug in Windows 8 that I felt I should make SSD users aware of. If I go to the “Optimize and defragment drive” and click the Optimize option, Windows will run the TRIM command just fine as long as you have ran the Windows Experience Index at least once. Most people are aware of the above but I have also found, on my system, that Windows 8 “Automatic Maintenance” does not follow the same rules and will defrag and consolidate the SSDs on a schedule.

You can get to the Automatic Maintenance option by:
Control Panel>Action Center>
Click the down arrow on the right under the "Maintenance" heading
From here you can run it and test or turn off the schedule.

I have found this to be true in RAID 0 but have not been able to test with a single SSD.

Note:
I am not sure if the Automatic Maintenance is on by default. It was active on my PC.
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
MEM: 96GB DDR5 6600MHz Corsair Dominator Titanium
MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX4090
STORAGE: 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO RAID0
OS DRIVE: 1X 2TB Samsung 990PRO
SCRATCH DRIVE: 1X 2TB Samsung 980Pro
PSU: 1500W Corsair HX1500i
COOLING: Custom Hardline 3 RAD Loop with 15 Corsair QL and 3X Corsair Commander XTs
WATERBLOCKS: GPU: Alphacool Custom Block | CPU: EK-Quantum Velocity² D-RGB
14 REPLIES 14

I'm sure that if you say the files can be deleted, it's perfecly fine to do so, but experience has taught me some valueable lessons. One of which is to move files rather than deleting them when attempting to solve such issues, at least until the issue is solved.

No offense intended. 🙂
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

UserX
Level 9
So far I have ran everything from and elevated cmd prompt "Administrator: Command Prompt"

System File Checker didn't find any problems "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Still getting
536237 (3844) - exe\processwinsaterror.cpp:0319: Writing exit code, cant msg and why msg to registry
354621 (3844) - exe\processwinsaterror.cpp:0146: ERROR: tried to read resource strings, unknown exception occurred

The Index is completing and updating

I am thinking the errors are from my SoundCard the driver from SoundBlaster are unsigned. Correction they are not WHQL, they are signed.
COOLING: Custom Hardline 3 RAD Loop with 15 Corsair QL and 3X Corsair Commander XTs

Nodens
Level 16
@Melting Point: No offense taken mate. Your advice is a good one anyhow.
My only point was that putting the old files back will only masquerade the problem and that's until the automatic WinSAT runs on its own (there's a scheduled task). We need to solve the issue so new proper files can be generated:)

@UserX: Please make a dxdiag report (as txt, not xml) with check WHQL signatures ticked, pack it along with winsat.log, upload it somewhere and pm me the link so I can take a look. You either have something installed that causes the error or something installed is corrupted. I need to see the exact log, along with everything that's installed (hence the dxdiag report).
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

UserX
Level 9
Thank you for the help Nodens.

Nodens
Level 16
No problem.:)

I won't post the solution here because it's not a general one. If someone has a similar isse, post a new thread and we'll take care of it:)

On a sidenote: UserX's errors in winsat.log will be there for everyone..they're a Microsoft thing and currently not important (in case someone is hitting the thread while searching for those errors).
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.