cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will not boot first time. Red cpu light

Retired
Not applicable
Hello everyone. I just purchased parts for a new computer, here is what I have.

Asus Crosshair V formula board
AMD fx-8150 CPU
Antec high voltage gamer 750watt psu

at the top of the board there are 2 4 pin 12v rails side by side, the one on the left had a cap on it. Then more to the right of the board there is another 4pin 12v rail. Initially I hooked one up to the left, one to the right. Got red CPU light (the one to the right of the board, not the voltage one). I have since then tried every combination of 1 of the 3 and 2 if the 3 4pin 12v rails. All other lights in the board are le green.

Initially when I went to drop the CPU in, it didn't just slide in so I looked at the pins, 2 pins on the edge and 2 pins in the center were bent. I took a tiny screwdriver and very slowly and gently bent them back perfectly. Looked down the socket every way and everything looks lined up. I didn't see any missing pins either. After fixing them it slid right in. I took the CPU out to check it after a couple attempts, I went to reseat it, and it was cool to the touch, so I'm guessing power isn't getting to it?

Any suggestions?
24 REPLIES 24

kitsune1324
Level 7
I'd you try to force the CPU in at all?

kitsune1324
Level 7
Did*

NemesisChild
Level 12
You will need to power the 8-pin connection on the board, it will not post if you use only one 4-pin.

I would pull the CPU and check for more bent or missing pins with a magnifying glass just to be sure.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Retired
Not applicable
I did not try to force at all. I have it powered via the 8 pin connector now and still no luck. I have looked very thoroughly through the processor and there are no bent or missing pins, I can't even tell which pins were the ones I fixed, and it drops in perfectly in the slot now.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Okay, cool...maybe a stupid question, but did you update your bios to a version that supports the FX?

Also, I see that your Antec has four +12v rails, we've seen issues with this board using multiple rail PSU's.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

kitsune1324
Level 7
Random question, when did you get your mobo?

Retired
Not applicable
I checked the manual for the psu, it says only 1 pair of 4 pin 12v connectors. When I called and talked to asus tech support they said I just need to put the 2 4 pin rails into the 8 pin slot on the top left of the board. They are going to Romano the board for me, but I wanna make sure its not an issue I can resolve first.

Retired
Not applicable
I ordered the motherboard about 2 months ago when i saw it go on sale. Haven't and can't update BIOS since I can't get the computer to boot.

I looks through all my power connectors on my psu and it only has 2 4 pin 12v rails even though I see where it says on the box it has 4. I'm gonna try to find the manual to see what it shows.

kitsune1324
Level 7
You did pull the cap off the 8 pin power connector, right? And you have tried just using the 24 pin and just the 8 pin?