Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why updated OROM's included in BIOS updates may be important

RickROG
Level 11
Here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/

SSD TRIM Command on RAID 0 Possible - With A Few Riders
Intel made it possible for SSDs to utilize the TRIM command feature when striped in RAID 0, provided a few meaty requirements are met. The TRIM command feature works to minimize write performance degradation on SSDs, but thus far it has been impossible to enable the feature on any other host controller mode than standalone AHCI, due to the manner in which the feature works at a physical level.
According to a report, TRIM over RAID 0 will be made possible with Windows 8 operating system, provided the system is running an Intel 7-series chipset (such as Z77 Express), has RAID BIOS (Option ROM) version 11.5 or higher, and Rapid Storage Technology (RST) device driver version 11.5 or higher. While obtaining the required Windows and driver versions is relatively easy, the RAID Option ROM version is in the hands of motherboard manufacturers, who have to release motherboard BIOS updates that include the required RAID Option ROM updates.

I know it's rehashing complaints/beefs throughout the forum, but, I just don't understand why it is the motherboard manufacturers just will not officially keep the various OROMS up to date with the latest official OROMs released by the OEMs.
That said, it is especially disappointing that ASUS will not even keep there own Asmedia ROMs current with the latest update. I mean this is there child-the buck stops with them on this. The Asmedia SATA 3 chip is garbage, but, a deligent effort to improve it through ROM/software R&D/release may lessen the adverse impact.
If the OEM is providing an official BIOS update anyways why not include all the latest OROMs-everything else being equal. The one in the modded 2105b makes a nice difference on my-and many other-systems.
I personally could not care less about Windows 8; will not allow it to run on my system ever in its current release-absolutely hate it-ME/Vista all over again-which I did not buy either. I understand the need though for manufacturers to support it sooner rather than later. However, is not the same true for all the current unrepaired bugs/issues on what they have already sold. It just amazes me how fast all their PR/marketing/R&D engines go into high gear to spotlight a new component release, devote huge resources to complementing distribution/sales/adoption, while allocating the released hardware needs to the backburner-almost like "when we get a chance" kind of attitude.
I may be wrong on a lot of this, I don't know. I'm sure, though, my perception here mirrors the majority.
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"
54 REPLIES 54

R4E3960X
Level 10
Game Over. So ASUS decide to prevent its user to optimize their system on Windows 8. :mad: If you need full function for Rampage IV Series , you must use "modified bios" rather than official bios. 😛 . What's the hell is going on with my RAMPAGE IV Extreme ? :eek: Maybe it may call Lamepage IV extreme better.
Intel Core i7 3960X 😮 C2 SR0KF 😮 @3.3GHz ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME BIOS 3602 03/15/2013 16 GB GSKILL ZL 9-9-9-24-1T @1600MHz Quad Channel HIS HD7979 1050MHz GPU 1500MHz DDR5 120GB OCZ VERTEX 3 SATA 6Gbps ASUS 24X DVD Corsair AX750 WINDOWS 8 PRO X64 6.2.9200.16384 RELEASE😮

R4E3960X wrote:
If you need full function for Rampage IV Series , you must use "modified bios" rather than official bios. 😛 . What's the hell is going on with my RAMPAGE IV Extreme ? :eek: Maybe it may call Lamepage IV extreme better.

I have 2105B, the updated orom and installed the latest RSTE 3.2.0.1135 drivers. Running a fresh install of Windows 8 9200 on 2 Intel 520's in raid 0. I get "optimi(s)ation is not available". Which is spelled wrong... Did I miss a step for this to work?

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify = 0 like it should be.

nikecmh wrote:
I have 2105B, the updated orom and installed the latest RSTE 3.2.0.1135 drivers. Running a fresh install of Windows 8 9200 on 2 Intel 520's in raid 0. I get "optimi(s)ation is not available". Which is spelled wrong... Did I miss a step for this to work?

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify = 0 like it should be.
For Windows 8 please uninstall RSTE 3.2.0.1135 first, then try again. 😮
Intel Core i7 3960X 😮 C2 SR0KF 😮 @3.3GHz ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME BIOS 3602 03/15/2013 16 GB GSKILL ZL 9-9-9-24-1T @1600MHz Quad Channel HIS HD7979 1050MHz GPU 1500MHz DDR5 120GB OCZ VERTEX 3 SATA 6Gbps ASUS 24X DVD Corsair AX750 WINDOWS 8 PRO X64 6.2.9200.16384 RELEASE😮

R4E3960X wrote:
For Windows 8 please uninstall RSTE 3.2.0.1135 first, then try again. 😮

Fresh install now of Windows 8 9200 with no drivers other than what gets auto installed. It allows me to click optimize but then instantly turns grey and says optimization not available. What driver version do you have listed under storage controllers?

nikecmh wrote:
Fresh install now of Windows 8 9200 with no drivers other than what gets auto installed. It allows me to click optimize but then instantly turns grey and says optimization not available. What driver version do you have listed under storage controllers?

I think he may be misunderstanding something. From his system info in his signature, he is using a single SSD, and not a raid array, which supports TRIM/Optimization no matter which version of RST/RSTe you are using, so people that are actually raiding their SSDs still shouldn't be able to get TRIM I think, unless you are on the Z77s with that new 11.5. I may be mistaken here though, best bet until windows 8 officially releases and intel finalizes its trim support for RST(e) is to run individual drives, or get drives that have good garbage collection and making do without trim.

CM Storm Trooper
Rampage IV Extreme
3930K@5.1GHz 1.48V (+0.085 Offset) XSPC Raystorm +Alphacool 360mm UT-60 /w 3x Scythe Ultra Kaze @2200rpm
Asus DC2T GTX680 x2 (going for a 3rd with some EK blocks when the budget allows)
32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 G.skill Trident X
2x 256GB Vertex4 Raid0
Seasonic Platinum 1000W

Sonny wrote:
I think he may be misunderstanding something. From his system info in his signature, he is using a single SSD, and not a raid array, which supports TRIM/Optimization no matter which version of RST/RSTe you are using, so people that are actually raiding their SSDs still shouldn't be able to get TRIM I think, unless you are on the Z77s with that new 11.5. I may be mistaken here though, best bet until windows 8 officially releases and intel finalizes its trim support for RST(e) is to run individual drives, or get drives that have good garbage collection and making do without trim.

From what I have just read, Intel's RST is supposed to support Windows 7, but only with the 7 series CPU's. They're still working on it for Win8

DTHCoCo
Level 9
Shame on Asus, We take a risk with every bios update so what's the difference. Yet another reason not to buy Asus motherboards.

Raja
Level 13
Get your pitchforks and wooden stakes ready for this one folks!

OROM updates are never made until they are verified by HQ. The rate at which it's done won't change as far as I am aware. Thus far the OROM updates for relevant boards over the past 12 months have been delivered (Z77, P67, Z68 where there is support) just at a pace that works for the guys validating things. So I don't see why this should current OROM and IRST situation be any different. If it's compatible it will be done, but not before time.

For me these OROM shenanigans are a nightmare either way. With each update comes a new set of broken items, while the older release is at a point where it is causing fewer issues. Given that Intel pulled some IRST drivers recently for memory leaks I can see why HQ are not in a rush to jump on this or any other update as soon as it is launched. I think if it's going to happen HQ will align it closer to the official release of Win 8 rather than the current beta - which after all is what matters from a Win 8 perspective. Anything else, such as the fact that TRIM for RAID hangs in the balance, will likely be tested first and won't arrive until the guys in charge deem it ready enough for release.

Flame away and shoot the messengers at your leisure. 🙂

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Get your pitchforks and wooden stakes ready for this one folks!

OROM updates are never made until they are verified by HQ. The rate at which it's done won't change as far as I am aware. Thus far the OROM updates for relevant boards over the past 12 months have been delivered (Z77, P67, Z68 where there is support) just at a pace that works for the guys validating things. So I don't see why this should current OROM and IRST situation be any different. If it's compatible it will be done, but not before time.

For me these OROM shenanigans are a nightmare either way. With each update comes a new set of broken items, while the older release is at a point where it is causing fewer issues. Given that Intel pulled some IRST drivers recently for memory leaks I can see why HQ are not in a rush to jump on this or any other update as soon as it is launched. I think if it's going to happen HQ will align it closer to the official release of Win 8 rather than the current beta - which after all is what matters from a Win 8 perspective. Anything else, such as the fact that TRIM for RAID hangs in the balance, will likely be tested first and won't arrive until the guys in charge deem it ready enough for release.

Flame away and shoot the messengers at your leisure. 🙂
Thank you for updated Raja, The OROM that cause memory leak issue was removed out from intel download website already, but it was RST 11.5.0.1207 not 3.2.0.1022. Very glad to heard that ROG's team currently tested 3.2.0.1022 anyway. But "official release of Win 8 rather than the current beta " was amazing to me. Do you mean Windows 8 RTM Build 9200 not the same as official release Windows 8? :cool:

R4E3960X wrote:
Thank you for updated Raja, The OROM that cause memory leak issue was removed out from intel download website already, but it was RST 11.5.0.1207 not 3.2.0.1022. Very glad to heard that ROG's team currently tested 3.2.0.1022 anyway. But "official release of Win 8 rather than the current beta " was amazing to me. Do you mean Windows 8 RTM Build 9200 not the same as official release Windows 8? :cool:

Let me phrase it in a way that can be understood easily. I'll lay it out and hopefully we'll get to a point that makes sense. Always tricky when there are multiple nationalities and english is not a first language.

The OFFICIAL release date on Win 8 is on October 26. No vendor HAS to provide updates before that. Even if you think they should.

If you want to test Windows 8 now, that is up to you.

As for which OROM Intel pulled, I was referring to why we don't jump on the updates as quickly as you'd like us to, not about which version was pulled. Just because Intel release something does not mean it is immediately ready for mass release. It's up to the sub-vendor to qualify it, and that can take time.