cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has ASUS not disabled the TSX instruction with updated microcode from Intel?

digmeahole1
Level 10
I have updated using the latest ASUS bios and the TSX instruction which Intel stated, needs to be disable by a manufacture BIOS update is still enabled. Latest ASUS BIOS is using microcode ending in 19 dated 2/26/14. There has been two microcode updates for the Haswell CPU since 19. According to what i have read this instruction can cause erratic system behavior.

I don't relay want to use a third party app to do this myself. If I could get a response from Raja@ASUS or MarshallR@ASUS I would greatly appreciate it. I posted a screen shot showing both bios version 2012 & 2304 showing both have the same microcode id 036c319 & Cpu-z showing the instruction as enabled.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
16 REPLIES 16

digmeahole1
Level 10
Anyone?

If you have a 4970k can you run cpu-z and post it here to see if this instruction is on or not for your cpu....
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.

FZero
Level 7
Here

Thank you.... At least i know i am not completely crazy...

digmeahole1 wrote:
Thank you.... At least i know i am not completely crazy...

No problem !
This forum seems dead or nobody is interested. If this instruction needs to be disabled i don't know what they are waiting for. I have this CPU for a month now and didn't notice any problems or weird acting.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I just checked mine and it's not enabled.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Puffnstuff wrote:
I just checked mine and it's not enabled.

Which CPU do you havce? Perhaps you need to update your CPU-Z.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
4790k and it's not enabled.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Norcus
Level 8
I used v1.70 of CPU-Z and it reported my 4790K as not having the TSX enabled. Then I upgraded to v1.71 and it now says TSX is enabled.

This is very odd. I just tested it another way...I am not trusting CPU-Z so i am looking at the actual microcode in the bios in the photo above and it clearly shows update revision 19 yet when i run Intel processor identification utility it show update revision 1A which is the next microcode update for haswel after 19 which disabled TSX. The latest code update would be 1C. WEIRD!