cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Memory Fan fits?

JamesX
Level 7
I have the Rampage IV Extreme. The Graphic Card slot is incredibly close to the memory banks. So my current memory fan cannot be installed without pushing against the graphic card.

Does anyone know of memory fans that will fit?
9 REPLIES 9

lenehan
Level 10
Any particular reason you need to use the RAM cooler fan? I dont see a need to use it in my opinion for normal usage even you OC your system.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

If you really want to use a fan, the corsair fans work but you have to mod them. The Gskills one will not go and can't be made to go.
The mod is more like a hack that involves bending the supports nearest the graphics board.
Ensure at least 1/8" clearance and insolate the suppports.
Since I don't know what memory type you have I can't garantee this will work.
I have Gskill memory so after the hack, the fans sit just above the memory retainers.
Can't help more than this since the hack is experimental in nature. You'll have to experiment with your setup.
Good luck.
Cheers.
Rampage IV Extreme BE, Intel 4960X, G-Skills Ripjaws Z F3- 2133C10Q2-64GZM, 2 ADATA SX900 512 GB SSD RAID 0, 4 Kingston Hyper X 120 GB SSD RAID 0, Pioneer BDR 2207, Segate 500GB HD, WD Velociraptor 600 GB (2), HD XSPC Cooling Push Pull c/w Heatkiller 3 CPU Block, Asus GTX690 (2), Asus VG278H, Asus VS208N, Xonar Phobus, Corsair 1200AX, Win 7 Ultimate UEFI

lenehan
Level 10
With WC it may work. Not not for Air cool. There isnt any space left for the cpu heat sink to fit in. With more ram module comimg with the heat spreader and it more than enough to solve the ram heat issue.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Before I use air cool, so the CPU cooler will suck in air in front and blow out the back and cool both banks of memory.

But the new Intel cooler is the water cool. So the only fan is the one near the memory banks on the back.

So the memory in the front banks (towards the front of the case) has no real air flow. While it does not get dangerously hot I want to keep it cooler.

Unfortunately the Graphic Card slot is so close to the memory that the memory fan I got doesn't fit. Either I need to find a fan that clips on to the memory itself, as opposed to the slots, or one that has an very thin latch/connector.

lenehan
Level 10
As I said, the cooling of the RAM will not increase the ram performaces. And the current RAM moudule/IC can handle it with higher threshold. Mate, no worries it will be fine for your ram wihout the fan.

kkn
Level 14
jamesx: none of these will fit your mem's? ( space )
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=496&name=Memory%20Coolers
well there is one way to do it if those dont fit, but that includes to make a new hole for a fan so it blows air on to the memory ( side panel door )

lenehan
Level 10
If you really want that. Put your gfx card into another slot.

I am pretty new with these things.

According to the manual Slot 1 is the optimal slot if I only have 1 video card.

Slot 4 is also a 16x/8x slot, does that mean if I move my card to there, it will still work at 16x?

As for if the Corsair Fans fit, I haven't tried yet. Was hoping someone else have ran into the same issue as me and already found one that would fit. 🙂

JamesX wrote:
I am pretty new with these things.

According to the manual Slot 1 is the optimal slot if I only have 1 video card.

Slot 4 is also a 16x/8x slot, does that mean if I move my card to there, it will still work at 16x?

As for if the Corsair Fans fit, I haven't tried yet. Was hoping someone else have ran into the same issue as me and already found one that would fit. 🙂

Yes, you will still on the 16X/8X lane.