cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which HDDs are good for a RAID 0 ?

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
Hi folks,
I want to know wich HDD I should use to create a RAID 0. I tried it with WD caviar green line, but they don`t work and I don`t like them anymore. My Mainboard supports SATA 3Gb/s (Rampage II Extreme). The HDDs should be 3.5 inch tall with a capacity between 320GB and 1TB each.
Anyone has any ideas, HiViz perhaps?
9 REPLIES 9

FiNAS
Level 10
Any harddrive from samsung, seagate or hitachi will work well in raid setup. Stay away from western digital, even the raid edition models. If you want reability, from those three brands hitachi is the best one.
PS: samsung hdd division was bought by seagate.

I've had more failures with seagate rather than western digital. Must admit though I've had my Samsung the longest.
Silverstone RAVEN RV02B-EW
Intel 4770K
Maximus VI Impact-Motherboard
Corsair 240AIR
Kingston HyperBeast 2400Mhz 8GB-Menmory
Seasonic 1000w Platinum
Samsung PRO SSD 256GB x 2
Corsair SP2500
ASUS MARS GTX 760x2
ASUS VE258Q
PrecisionHD Cam.
CORSAIR K95 RGB
Corsair K65 RGB

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah but my view is not going to be that popular I can promise you.

I only use Hitachi hard drives for RAID or Enterprise class servers. I tested many many different hard drives a while ago when the first 2TB came out. And all that did was confirm earlier results that for my needs the Hitachi were head and shoulders above the pack.

Look there is nothing fundimentally wrong with the others, I just will not allow WD anywhere near a system I am building - the last good WD I had was the raptor range of three years ago.
Samsung have some good HDD, as to Seagate and the others. I have just never been impressed with them.

HDD are a personal choice and my views are my own, others will have had problems with Hitachi I am sure. And never a problem with WD for example.

Hitachi get my vote.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
ok, thanks for your answers.

If cost is not an issue, and want the ultimate in performance and relibility go with a LSI 9265 with BBU and Hitachi SAS 15k's.
I use the above set up with Raid 10, as I am totally fed up with issues using SSD's.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip - Take it Upstairs you are talking my language there. I tend to use the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e but that is just a matter of preference and application need.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
so, when I`m in the mood, I will check out these models.

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
Will the hitachi deskstar series do it? `cause money IS an issure.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah - they work just the treat.