cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem, system won't post

chrisnyc75
Level 12
So, I'm having a really weird problem and wondered if any of you have ever seen this before...

When I push the power button to power on my system, everything lights up like it's starting, but then literally a half-second later it just stops and loses power. Then about 5 seconds later, it lights up (fans start, etc) again, and then again a half-second later it just loses power again. Over and over ad infinitum.

I tried resetting the CMOS, no effect. Nothing in my system has changed, it was working just fine last night when I shut it down. Now this morning, it just won't post -- it's like a car engine that's trying to turn over but just can't quite get ignition.

Any ideas?
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

32 REPLIES 32

HiVizMan wrote:
What??? Powered on by itself? Dude you have gremlins I fully agree.

LOL! I know! It's crazy. To be clear there are two scenarios -- 1) the system attempts "ignition" and then fails & repeats to infinity, and 2) I press the power on button and absolutely NOTHING whatsoever happens, as if the system is unplugged altogether (I am still, at this point, hoping the second scenario has been resolved by RMA'ing the motherboard, but apparently the first scenario is still a problem)

In both cases, after an unspecified amount of time, the system will simply power itself on all by itself -- as if it has been trying to comply since I initially pressed the power button, but just now finally got its **** worked out - maybe an hour later or could be days later, who knows. lol It's the oddest thing I've ever seen a computer do.

Gremlins, I tell you. 😉 At least they're living in style, though, right? lol
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

Bark
Level 7
I confess to being a total newb but, what the heck no idea is a bad idea, could your power button or power button cable somehow be failing or intermittently shorting to ground?

The board has a power button itself (without wiring and cables) and it also fails.
It apparently only gets solved by RMAing, unfortunately there are reports of the problem returning after a while.
Between this problem and the sudden reboots of the Black Edition, I'd rather have this problem though.
Really feel for the Black owners that are experiencing it.