cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Over Clock Failed Error

ander12391
Level 9
I'm having a weird issue with my build and it may actually be normal but I am not sure. I have a X99 Sabertooth board with corsair RAM @2666mhz. Anyhow I noticed that when ever I unplug the unit from power and hold down the power button down for about 10 secs the next time I turn on the PC I am prompted with OC has failed error. I am just wondering if this is normal for this board. I am not having any stability issues. Is it possible that draining the system of power is clearing my XMP settings? It should also be noted that I do not have an OC just my XMP settings enabled
10 REPLIES 10

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The overclocking fail message is displayed when the POST watchdog is triggered. Holding down the power button to forcibly shut the system down will trigger the watchdog. It is actually a feature that allows the user to re-enter UEFI and change the offending setting. I have asked HQ to change the halt message on future platforms to avoid confusion.

I also encountered an "overclock failed, press F1" message at one time and this might have been the cause.
What does this POST watchdog exactly do? If, for some reason, Windows locks up completely and I hold down the power button to shut down, will I trigger the watchdog and will see the "overclock failed" message?