cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Intel Speedstep!

RazorCat
Level 10
Good Day ROGs!

im having a little weird issue with my system here...

it is about intel speedstep, when I woke up this morning turned my PC on.. (without my internet, coz I haven't plugged my modem yet) I noticed it's speed was on Turbo at 3.8Ghz... intel speedstep was not functioning.. as it would usually throttle down my cpu speed to 1.6Ghz right?

Ive waited for about 20 minutes assuming there were background programs running like anti virus scanning and other stuffs... but cpu still runs at 3.8Ghz.. loads were at 20-25% and it did not throttle down..

i restarted my system still without the internet, same thing happened.. intel speedstep doesnt function...
Ive cleared CMOS.. removed the battery, Load System Defaults and powered UP but still.. cpu is up 3.8ghz... 😞

here's the weird part... I turned ON my system, plugged my internet modem...

and Intel Speedstep comes to life... 1.6ghz on idle... when the internet is UP and running my system goes to normal.. but w/out it speedstep goes weird!

any inputs fellow ROG's..

thanks.. 😄
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H
15 REPLIES 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL that is quite insane at a level. 🙂

Do you not always have your internet on? I find this issue totally mind boggling. Have tested my set up and could not duplicate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

RazorCat
Level 10
weird right sir?

these are my load & temps right now... by the way i'm using offset...

it is kinda funny coz i cant find the connection between intel speedstep and my internet connection...
when I turn my modem off then do a restart.. Speedstep goes off.. but when I switch my internet modem ON and my Rig detects it.. Speedstep works instantly... lol.. grrrrrrrrr....

will try to do a clean reformat tomorrow and see what happens..

@ HiVizman: Sir should I update to latest Bios?
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you told me what your bios is I need to go look. But since everything else works just peachy with that bios. What I might do is simply save my OC to a profile and clear CMOS and reflash your current version of bios via Ezyflash2 in the tools section of the bios.

Go check if speedstep works when all is on defaults (as it should) and then apply the OC and see if speed step is still nuts.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

RazorCat
Level 10
by the way Sir HiVizman C-States are on AUTO...

ahhh so it is OK to reflash the same bios version? the one im using right now? 😄
i thought it's not good to reflash same bios version.. noob here.. 😄

im using Bios 3501
latest is 3603 but it features upgrades for Intel Rapid Storage Technology..

I'll do reformat first hour in the morning, im suspecting drivers and other softwares.. 😞

KILLER_K
Level 10
Yes that is the correct place to uninstall the cpu. Once you uninstall them, just reboot and it will add them back. Also download this and check for malware please.

MBAM

RazorCat
Level 10
Ok good day again ROG!

Sorry for the late post...

Im happy to tell you guys that my system is doing fine now.... I thought my motherboard or my processor is defective! lol..

I did format my drive during the weekend... installed a clean fresh OS and WOW! that intel speedstep is back to normal EVEN without the internet, i mean the modem ON...

its back to normal... I dont know maybe there's a software that is having a conflict on my previous OS or maybe like sir Killer say some malware...

that weird speedstep is a-OK now! thank U ROG! 😄