cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to boot Sabertooth X58 from NVMe PCI-e SSD

Howard_Woodard
Level 7
I have a PC that was built on the Sabertooth X58 mobo. I would like to upgrade it to boot from and use a NVMe PCI-e SSDs. The BIOS is 1402 which was released in 2012 and still is listed as the newest BIOS for the board. The NVMe adapter boards are vanilla insofar as they only route pin connections between the adapter and the PCI-e expansion slot. Windows 10 will be ok but I don't know if the BIOS will recognize it as a disk drive.

Does anyone know definitively whether this can be done or not?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Howard
=============================================

CPU: i7-960 3.2 GHz 8 MB Cache (Bloomfield) LGA 1366
Product Code: BX80601960
S/N: 2V105151A0642
http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/28102/Bloomfield

=========================================
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory (6x4 GB)
CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
1600 MHz 9-9-9-24 1.5 VDC

=========================================
Graphics Card: MSi RS450 MD1GH
1GB DDR3

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58

Model : Sabertooth X58
S/N : C2M0AC064008
Revision : v1.02
BIOS Revision : 1402

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : MSi
*VGA Card Model : R5450 MD1GH
*VGA Card Chipset : ATI
*VGA Card Driver : Most recent

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : Corsair
*Memory Model : CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
*Memory Capacity : 24 GB
4 REPLIES 4

davemon50
Level 11
These are PCIe 3.0 devices. Your board only supports PCIe 2.0 so even if it were recognized you wouldn't get the rated speeds.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
These are PCIe 3.0 devices. Your board only supports PCIe 2.0 so even if it were recognized you wouldn't get the rated speeds.

Hi Dave and thanks for your response. Actually the 2.0 devices do work on the 3.0 mobo, they just run at the 2.0 speed. My question is whether the BIOS will recognize it as a boot device or not.

Best regards,

Howard_Woodard wrote:
Hi Dave and thanks for your response. Actually the 2.0 devices do work on the 3.0 mobo, they just run at the 2.0 speed. My question is whether the BIOS will recognize it as a boot device or not.

Best regards,

Yes, that was what my comment said. But you'd have to try it.
Davemon50

Hello Howard,

Thank you for contacting ASUS product support. My name is John S.

I appreciate your patience and for giving us time to come up with a resolution for your case.

Due to pre-Z97 motherboard, all motherboard do not support NVME as bootable drive or any NVME M.2 drive, because the BIOS does not support it. After Intel introduced Z97, the NVME drive started supported in the BIOS. Check motherboard BIOS for NVME support.

In the event that you have additional concerns, please let me know and I will be happy to take care of them as well. Thank you for choosing ASUS. Your case number is: Nxxxxx4642.

Sincerely,
John S
ASUS Product Support

http://www.asus.com/us/support/