cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VII Hero, memory issue?

psychoman
Level 7
I decided it was time to upgrade my cpu and motherboard so I purchased an intel 4790K and an VII Hero which needless to say has left me skint, everything went smooth, I rebuilt my rig and it was all nice and looked the part, until I turned it on, my 4x4gb Kingston HyperxBeast 2400mhz ram wouldnt even let the pc post, so I did what I would usually do and installed one ram stick into the A2 Dimm, and my PC posted, I reinstalled windows and I was good to go other than the ram, so I tested each ram stick individually and they all worked (A2 Dimm) so I put 2 sticks in (A2 & B2 Dimm) and my system booted and everything was fine, so I turned the PC off and installed the last 2 RAM sticks (A1 & B1) all I got was Q-Code 55, so I tried only using A1 & B1 and that also came back with Q-Code 55, so my queston is what could be wrong? I very much doubt its my motherboard due to the fact Everything is working perfectly (Other than this)
Im sorry if this question wastes your time but I have been trying to solve this problem since Tuesday and I am really at my witts end, any help is appreciated, And finally Thank you fellow Gamers 😄
Intel i7-4790K, VII Hero, 2xGTX 760, H80i, 8gb Kingston HYPER x BEAST 2400mhz, 2x120gb SSD,
2TB HDD, ROG Front Base, Zalman z11 Plus, and im the unfortunate owner of an alienware 14 :'(
10 REPLIES 10

psychoman
Level 7
Have just tried flashing the bios with the latest firmware, still no luck, unless someone has an idea, im just going to have to buy 2x8gb aint i?
Intel i7-4790K, VII Hero, 2xGTX 760, H80i, 8gb Kingston HYPER x BEAST 2400mhz, 2x120gb SSD,
2TB HDD, ROG Front Base, Zalman z11 Plus, and im the unfortunate owner of an alienware 14 :'(

Raja
Level 13
Set the memory to the lowest ratio available with one module. Save and exit - enter UEFI again. Once in UEFI power down the rig by pressing the power button. Then turn off the PSU and wait for the residual power to drain. Add one more module, enter UEFI again, power down as above and repeat with a third. See if you can get all 4 DIMMs up that way. If not, check each DIMM individually with a stress test for issues.

bluezero5
Level 10
I inititally had this problem with my M7H board too, I cannot install more than 3 RAM, and I kept thinking I had a faulty board.
adding 1 more will result with a stuck at 69 or 67 and cannot POST.

however, after a while, (like a week with just 2x8Gb ram), I tried again, and suprisingly worked afterwards.
I had NO IDEA what fixed it. But I am glad that's behind me.

Good luck bro.
Spray the slot with Air, make sure nothing is shorting it.

psychoman
Level 7
Cheers for your advice guys 😛 will deffo give both of these a go once I wake up (going to sleep for a bit been up all night trying to get this darn MB to work properly 😕 ) will post the results once Ive tried both 😄 cheers

Ratkay
Level 7
I would recommend that you try setting the freq to 1600 with all slots installed.
Would also recommend replacing the CPU again, it might help! I've encountered this problem before when working in a PC Repair shop.
If you're unsure if the memories are a DOA (dead on arival) you can always do a memtest - http://www.memtest86.com/
First with all the memories, and then 1 by 1.

Hope this helps!
Computer hardware:
4790K - Intel | VII HERO - Asus | Main Disk: 250 GB SSD - Samsung 840 Evo |
16 GB RAM (4x4) - Corsair Vengence (Low Profile) | Propellerhead Balance (External Audio-card) |
Corsair HS50 - Liquid CPU Cooler | 3x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140 mm Fans |
2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM120 mm Fans | Windows 7 Pro x64 | NXZT H440 - Chassi |

Im pretty sure its not the sticks as I am using the same ones as I used in my z87-A MB 🙂 I did try Putting one in the A1 Dimm but that only left me with Q-Code 55

psychoman
Level 7
tried all these fixes none worked 😞 cheers though dudes, will RMA my CPU and update this post if that solves the issue, if not I will just get 2x8gb (16gb is plenty for me) Could anyone suggest a good make please 🙂 looking to spend about £150 :)cheers

psychoman
Level 7
just an update, went away for the weekend, came home today and decided to try again with 3 sticks and managed to get it working 🙂 ive now got 12gb ram which is only 4gb short so I aint going to RMA my cpu now 🙂 cheers for everyones help 😛

psychoman wrote:
just an update, went away for the weekend, came home today and decided to try again with 3 sticks and managed to get it working 🙂 ive now got 12gb ram which is only 4gb short so I aint going to RMA my cpu now 🙂 cheers for everyones help 😛

Hope it all goes well in the future so it doesn't mess with your installations and stuff! Did you run the memtest on your sticks? 🙂
Computer hardware:
4790K - Intel | VII HERO - Asus | Main Disk: 250 GB SSD - Samsung 840 Evo |
16 GB RAM (4x4) - Corsair Vengence (Low Profile) | Propellerhead Balance (External Audio-card) |
Corsair HS50 - Liquid CPU Cooler | 3x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140 mm Fans |
2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM120 mm Fans | Windows 7 Pro x64 | NXZT H440 - Chassi |