cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegim - RIVBE + 4960X Random reboot [yet another]

Vegim
Level 7
I've read Raja's OC Tips guide and Easy OC guide many a times. I've had great success with the Extreme (red board) but so far the Black Board is the board of death. In my honest opinion, this board has been a flop.

Countless issues I read about on the daily... the biggest one for me is the EIST-Multiplier issue in Linux. Others, and the reason I'm posting today, is random reboots/shutdowns.

Here's a quick spec sheet

• Motherboard: RIVE BE [0701/0801 .. tried multiple BIOS)
  • CPU: i7 4960X
  • PSU: Corsair AX1200
  • RAM: CMD32GX3M4A2400C10
  • GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290X in crossfire
  • ARRAY0: 2 x 240GB SSD OS: win 8.1
  • ARRAY1: 4 x 2TB RAID10
  • CASE/COOLING: Corsair 900D, quad rad + trip rad, custom loop, dual pump

Note: I've also tried different memory kits, other 16GB kits as well as 32GB kits. 1600mhz, 1866mhz kits. All do the same. I've ruled out the memory controller / IMC being the culprit? (ninja edit: I didn't mean it's completely ruled out, what I meant is that the issue is still present with a broad range of different RAM kits)

To start off really simple, I've set memory to X.M.P, CPU Vcore to 1.40, multi 40x (all the way up to 46x), vccsa/vtt/2nd vtt all to 1.1. Memory kit at 1.65v as rated. Per the quote below, I've also set irush inertia to enabled AND CPU current to 170%.

Temps under load never go about 75C.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

If you find the board shuts down (no BSOD) when under load and restarts itself then navigate to the DIGI+ section of UEFI and set Current Inrush Inertia to Enabled and or set CPU Current Capability to 170%. UEFI builds over 0601 will auto patch this (to be released soon).

The machine has honestly primed for 24-48 hours at a time, and the random reboots occur specifically while playing CS:GO (this is when I notice them). I'll launch CS:GO, enter a server, and reboot. I could actually potentially play for an hour, but maybe on the first map change, the second one, boom reboot.

The way it happens is monitor just goes dark. The num lock turns off, and I can't do anything but hard shut down. Sometimes it will reboot itself, but most of the time it's the hard shut down.

I've tried a lot of suggestions, specifically Raja's and other users.

I'm not sure what it could be at this point.

(ninja edit #2): Random reboots not only occur during game time, but they have also happened while launching Google Chrome, going to YouTube, Web Spotify Player, heavy HTML5 stuff (Microsoft's fishbowl test). Another one that sticks in my mind is alt tabbing out of game and launching youtube or twitch. Bam. Screen just goes dark.

(edit #3): I thought I posted in the Rampage forum, my apologies. Can someone move it over?
21 REPLIES 21

Nate152
Looking over your specs I don't see your psu listed. Could you list your psu for us too please?

Nate152 wrote:
Looking over your specs I don't see your psu listed. Could you list your psu for us too please?

Most definitely. It is a Corsair AX1200. I'll update my original post as well.

Also, as weird as this sounds, the random reboot/shutdown almost always happens during a map switch while playing CS:GO.

Also, here's a picture if your'e interested.

edit: I always forget details. I tested a different RAM kit I borrowed.. still same thing. That kit is in the picture.

Nate152
That is one nice machine you have there Vegim. Thank you for posting a picture.

You have a good psu and plenty of power so that shouldn't be the problem.

Does this only happen with counter strike or does it happen with other games too?

Nate152 wrote:
That is one nice machine you have there Vegim. Thank you for posting a picture.

Does this only happen with counter strike or does it happen with other games too?

Thank you

Its definitely a random reboot.. But I can replicate it with a map switch in csgo. I play a few other games but since this build was just finished I haven't loaded much on it.

Its happened while loading chrome, literally going to YouTube or spotify. Today I tried a whole new 4960x and new ram kit.. Same issue. Same exact thing.

Sometimes it doesn't even reboot, the monitor goes black and I lose all light on USB devices. Everything shuts down... And doesn't reboot. Sometimes it actually reboots on it's own.

Nate152
The first thing I would try would be disconnecting an ssd. I imagine you have your game(s) installed on one of your 2TB drives and I would disconnect 3 of them. Try with just one ssd and one 2 TB drive.

I would also say try with one gpu but seeing how you have them liquid cooled, I know that would be a pain.

Nate152 wrote:
The first thing I would try would be disconnecting an ssd. I imagine you have your game(s) installed on one of your 2TB drives and I would disconnect 3 of them. Try with just one ssd and one 2 TB drive.

I would also say try with one gpu but seeing how you have them liquid cooled, I know that would be a pain.

SSDs are raid0, so disconnecting means reinstalling.

2tb drives are raid10, so disconnecting means degraded or gone..

I can unseat the bottom GPU and put anti static behind it, but I've tried this with the same results.

As you can imagine.. A lot of time and effort has gone in to this before posting:)

Games are all on the SSD array. Im wondering if maybe I'm killing the intel raid controller...

Nate152
All right, you tried with one gpu and still have the problem, you tried another cpu and still the same problem. You tried multiple ram kits and still have the same problem. You tried multiple bios versions and still have the problem.

You have tried a lot so far which will save you time here, which is a good thing. If you haven't fooled with your drives yet, that is really the only thing left to try.

You can try disconnecting your drives and reinstall your os with just one ssd and one 2TB drive. Install counter strike and give it a go. If all seems ok after that, install one drive at a time and play CS to see when the problem occurs again.

abvolt
Level 11
That board has dip switches so you can shut off any of your pcie lanes. Also don't use inrush & cpu current capability together, 0801 seems to be working well. I also agree with you this board has issues no doubt about it. Hope you get it worked out..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Nate152
Hey abvolt, how's it going guy? You have the same board as Vegim and can probably help him better than I can. Maybe you can help get his problem sorted.