cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use onboard HDMI for 5.1 audio seperate from graphics card.

darbnhuk
Level 7
Hi, I'm hoping I can tap into some knowledge here in the forum regarding a issue I've been chasing. I have searched the net and came up with nothing so far. I can't be the only only trying to do this. So here's what I got...

I just built a gaming rig for my living room and I have my GTX 980 hooked straight up to my monitor/TV via HDMI. I am trying to use the MoBo's on-board HDMI output for audio going to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver. The reason I am separating the audio and video is the lag created by the receiver. I could use another port on the GPU for discrete audio. However, when I hook it up that way, it sees my Onkyo receiver as another monitor. I'd prefer not to loose any FPS or processing from my video card this way.

I have verified that removing the 980 and running Windows works with the MoBo's onboard HDMI for both Audio and Video. So at least I know the port works. Also, I have read the manual and there is supposed to be an option under Advanced>Onboard Devices Configuration>SPDIF that will allow me to select HDMI for audio. For some reason that option isn't even there. I just Have HD audio: Enabled > Front Panel Type:HD Audio.

It seems like a simple fix but I cant figure it out! Is there a way I can do this? Any help is MUCH appreciated!!! 🙂

My Setup:
Maximus VII Formula
Intel Core I7 4790k
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
Fractal Design R5 Window
EVGA G2 PSU
Corsair SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro

Samsung 55" LED
ONKYO 7.1 Reciever
Lots of Debt!
2 REPLIES 2

Retired
Not applicable
Try and set on-board HDMI as audio default

Thanks for the prompt reply lemurking22! I don't have that option in my BIOS for some reason. If you look at the photo's i'm attaching, the one that shows the option is in the manual. The second photo I took is what my BIOS is showing me. The option to select the SPDIF Out Type (Digital Audio) is not there. Maybe I need to enable something else in the BIOS to activate the feature? Also, I updated to the latest BIOS version and still nothing. I hope this helps and thanks again!