cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use 4 Pins or 8 Pins For 12V ATX Power (Maximus IV Extreme-Z) ?

Liquor_Rim
Level 7
Hi,

Would anyone please be able to advise me if I should connect the PSU to only 4 pins or to 8 pins of the 12V ATX power connector on a Maximus IV Extreme-Z board? The board ships with one set of 4 pins blanked off so I wondered if I needed to remove the blanking cap and connect this one up considering my power draw?

The board will only have one graphics card which will be either a Radeon 5850 or a Radeon 6670 but never both at the same time. The CPU will be overclocked to around 4.5GHz and power will be from a Corsair HX 850W PSU.

The power draw from the Radeon 6670 is quite small as it runs off the PCI slot power without the need for additional power from the PSU. The Radeon 5850 has two PCI power connectors providing power direct from the PSU.

Thx
put her on guinness, pot the black 😛
3 REPLIES 3

moorhen2
Level 10
Liquor Rim wrote:
Hi,

Would anyone please be able to advise me if I should connect the PSU to only 4 pins or to 8 pins of the 12V ATX power connector on a Maximus IV Extreme-Z board? The board ships with one set of 4 pins blanked off so I wondered if I needed to remove the blanking cap and connect this one up considering my power draw?

The board will only have one graphics card which will be either a Radeon 5850 or a Radeon 6670 but never both at the same time. The CPU will be overclocked to around 4.5GHz and power will be from a Corsair HX 850W PSU.

The power draw from the Radeon 6670 is quite small as it runs off the PCI slot power without the need for additional power from the PSU. The Radeon 5850 has two PCI power connectors providing power direct from the PSU.

Thx

As a rule of thumb,always use the 8 pin conector.
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
AMD FX 8350 (1252)
INTEL CORE I7 2600K (3134A867)
ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z (0002)

OCZ VERTEX 3 120 SSD
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.1 (F3)
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.0 (F3)
VARIOUS AMD CPU's
8 GIG G-SKILL SNIPER LOW VOLTAGE 1600
4 GIG G-SKILL RIPJAWS X 2133 C9
8 GIG CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 C8 (HYNIX)
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D
CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
2X RADEON HD6970'S XFIRE
4X SAMSUNG F3 1T HDD's 2X RAID 0
CUSTOM WATERCOOLING

HiVizMan
Level 40
Totally correct, where ever possible use the 8Pin 12volt plug.

It is always a good idea to fully populate the power connectors on a motherboard if your PSU supports them.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the replies, I have done as you suggested as connected it up with all 8 pins of the 12V from the PSU.
put her on guinness, pot the black 😛