cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to MSI r9 290x lighning and its DOA

SaLSouL
Level 10
Hi Guys,

Well I updated from my Asus Ares 1 and bought an MSI r9 290x Lightning edition, took it out the box put it in and I get 1 long beep followed by 3 short (No VGA detected) dropped my ares back in and all is good, My first DOA in over 15 years of Pc building.

Just incase its not DOA anyone else had issues with the Asus CHVF-z and MSI lighning R9 290x doing similar?

Many thanks
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
Did you try different PCIe slots?

And, does your old card use different PSU connectors? It may be a connector that is not working correctly.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

It was DOA, got a replacement and worked first time

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks my friend for posting back the outcome. Enjoy a truly outstanding graphic card.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

double post

HiVizMan wrote:
Thanks my friend for posting back the outcome. Enjoy a truly outstanding graphic card.

Thanks HiVizman, It truly is a beast of a card... didn't think there would be much difference from going from a dual 5970 Asus Ares, to a single R9 290x lightning.... but I was very wrong this thing absolutely trounces my Asus Ares 1.. technology has come along way..

I have a couple of questions, what's the power-play slider for and aux power etc... my ares didnt have any of this ? in CCC and Afterburner

Regards

Sal

HiVizMan
Level 40
a small tweak that will bring your boost frequency towards almost 1125 MHz stable.

Power Target +50%
GPU clock 1180 MHz
Memory clock 1650 MHz (x4)
Voltage +100 Mv
Fan control RPM @ Default

Basically you do not need to mess with the Aux at all it is really there for the extreme guys.

HiVizMan wrote:
Basically you do not need to mess with the Aux at all it is really there for the extreme guys.

Thanks Mate.. will try it out, BTW I only have 2 x8 pins connected on the normal BIOS do I need to connect the 6 pin PCI-E was told I didnt need it unless on LN2 also which voltage to +100mv memory or core ?

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you have the connector I would fit it mate. But unless you are going to be clocking the bejesus out of your card you can do with out it. If you use those settings I posted you may want to use the extra 6pin.

SaLSouL
Level 10
thank you

which voltage to +100mv memory or core?